Tim Hasselbeck on Seahawks WR's

CPHawk

Reaction score
Here's a question, do people think Tate and Baldwin are better than DJack and Ingram?

OreIdahawk

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of you guys on this thread. I love our receivers but we really don't have a #1 receiver. Just a bunch of really good #2's and slot guys. All I gotta say to that is DAMN YOU PERCY HARVIN!

Mjolnir

Reaction score
This whole "lacking separation talent" thing is a two way street.

I believe there have been many many plays where the WR's are "open", but not "open enough" for Russell. I actually think Russell is afraid of throwing the ball where other QB's would take the chance. I sort of blame Carol for instilling maybe too much "NO TURNOVERS!" into him that it makes him very tentative. I like Wilson as much as the next fan, but I think he has some real glaring issues...one being I DO believe he has a hard time seeing the field on some plays BECAUSE he is short. And he misses that window of opportunity to throw the ball when the WR is actually "open".

The offensive play calling doesn't help either when there are simply NO medium to short range pass plays or patterns called it seems.

In the NFL, you are not going to get a huge amount of separation typically. Oftentimes the QB just has to shoot a bullet in there. But it takes alot of confidence to do so; confidence in the WR's the QB has, and confidence in the QB's ability as well. To build this confidence, the QB needs completions. Whether they are short or medium range completions, this is what is needed to get most QB's going.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Maybe our WR group is no elite. But I think they are good enough. The main issue with this team is the very inconsistent play of the offensive line and the predictable play calling.

All the receivers intangibles and measurable are great, but if your QB doesn't have time to throw the ball, the ball will never get there and DBs can simply jam you before 5 yards (legally) and there is no way to catch a ball.
I watched the 49ers vs Falcons last Sunday and I couldn't believe how much time those QBs had to throw the ball. I also saw Pats vs Ravens. Brady had all day to throw the ball. Why is it that Wilson NEVER has enough time to throw the ball?

Pete did a great job signing Free Agents on the defensive line this off season. And he took a chance on a stud WR, which hasn't worked out yet, but it was the right move.
However, Pete and John made a big mistake this past off season: they neglected the O-Line.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
joeseahawks":14v7qo1a said:
Maybe our WR group is no elite. But I think they are good enough. The main issue with this team is the very inconsistent play of the offensive line and the predictable play calling.

All the receivers intangibles and measurable are great, but if your QB doesn't have time to throw the ball, the ball will never get there and DBs can simply jam you before 5 yards (legally) and there is no way to catch a ball.
I watched the 49ers vs Falcons last Sunday and I couldn't believe how much time those QBs had to throw the ball. I also saw Pats vs Ravens. Brady had all day to throw the ball. Why is it that Wilson NEVER has enough time to throw the ball?

Pete did a great job signing Free Agents on the defensive line this off season. And he took a chance on a stud WR, which hasn't worked out yet, but it was the right move.
However, Pete and John made a big mistake this past off season: they neglected the O-Line.
Wilson tends to bail a lot, even when he doesn't technically need to, which makes his O-Line look more inept than it actually is.

Some might say Wilson's propensity to scramble is due to his inability to stand tall in the pocket in order to allow routes to develop, but I think Wilson's consistent success of improvising and making plays on the run is a more adequate explanation.

Regardless, you can't really compare Wilson and Kaepernick to the likes of Manning and Brady and Matt Ryan. They play the QB position a lot differently

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch also masks how weak our rec corps is with his devastating YAC yardage--you want to lock down our recievers? Fine, we got Beast Mode scraping and popping loose. Rice wasn't the best rec, but he was big and strong and represented a superb change of pace and that loss hurt in a way. Despite his limited production, Sidney opened stuff up.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":sm9ap23u said:
scutterhawk":sm9ap23u said:
CPHawk":sm9ap23u said:
Tate and Baldwin are good 3-4 WR, they are below avg as 1-2.
Below average as 1-2, my ass, You are wrong, and Warren Moon backs me up on this discussion, care to try again?

Come on dude. Seahawk employee Warren Moon? He's not the best source for objective analysis of the roster. He toes the company line. They may be average, but they are clearly well below the elite duos in the NFL
Employee or not, I'd still hang with his WR grading over ANYONE else here, and it's not even close.
Could we use another big bodied WR, Moon has said as much.
Some teams are winning games without having even ONE #1 Receiver on board, (Seahawks for example) and some teams are losing games WITH stud #1 WR's (Falcons for example) so forgive me for not being in awe of some gaudy stats.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2lncz255 said:
Missing_Clink":2lncz255 said:
scutterhawk":2lncz255 said:
CPHawk":2lncz255 said:
Tate and Baldwin are good 3-4 WR, they are below avg as 1-2.
Below average as 1-2, my ass, You are wrong, and Warren Moon backs me up on this discussion, care to try again?

Come on dude. Seahawk employee Warren Moon? He's not the best source for objective analysis of the roster. He toes the company line. They may be average, but they are clearly well below the elite duos in the NFL
Employee or not, I'd still hang with his WR grading over ANYONE else here, and it's not even close.
Could we use another big bodied WR, Moon has said as much.
Some teams are winning games without having even ONE #1 Receiver on board, (Seahawks for example) and some teams are losing games WITH stud #1 WR's (Falcons for example) so forgive me for not being in awe of some gaudy stats.
Falcons lost their #1 in the 2nd game of the same season

plyka

Reaction score
WR is the toughest position to rate players IMO (with exception of studs, those are clear as day --Megatron, AJ, Julio, DEZ, Demarius). Put them with a great QB and you have a bunch of all stars.

If you take into consideration all of the Hawks receiving threats, I think that they are excellent. Tate is not a #1, he is a 2/3, but so is Baldwin and Kearse. Then you have the TE position which is rather strong. All in all, not a weakness.

The weakness is the playclling. Just rewatched the game, how many 3rd and 6 or shorter 3rd downs did they have? The ones they attempted shorter passes on were successful, but that wasn't too many. Most were 3 50 yard routes and a 50 yard bomb after a 50 yard bomb --very low percentage plays. Also, I didn't see them run once on third down --even at 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3. On more than one 3rd and short they threw 25 plus yards down the field, very low percentage.

plyka

Reaction score
Mjolnir":380hhnji said:
This whole "lacking separation talent" thing is a two way street.

I believe there have been many many plays where the WR's are "open", but not "open enough" for Russell. I actually think Russell is afraid of throwing the ball where other QB's would take the chance. I sort of blame Carol for instilling maybe too much "NO TURNOVERS!" into him that it makes him very tentative. I like Wilson as much as the next fan, but I think he has some real glaring issues...one being I DO believe he has a hard time seeing the field on some plays BECAUSE he is short. And he misses that window of opportunity to throw the ball when the WR is actually "open".

The offensive play calling doesn't help either when there are simply NO medium to short range pass plays or patterns called it seems.

In the NFL, you are not going to get a huge amount of separation typically. Oftentimes the QB just has to shoot a bullet in there. But it takes alot of confidence to do so; confidence in the WR's the QB has, and confidence in the QB's ability as well. To build this confidence, the QB needs completions. Whether they are short or medium range completions, this is what is needed to get most QB's going.

Good post. I think there are two issues relating to your post, and I'm not saying that the first one is negative:

1) Pete has his system his ideology. It is reduce the number of total possessions, eliminate turnovers completely, play extra conservative, run run run, punt punt punt. This is his ideology. He depends on his defense. There is a risk vs reward ratio in football. Sometimes it is beneficial to take more risks, if the reward rises more than the risk does. I think this team is coming out too slow, and they are not taking enough risk.

2) Playcalling by Bevell is down right idiotic at times. All you gotta do is look at this last game, and see what they did on 3rd downs. They had plenty of 3rd and 6 or less, including many 3rd and 2/3/4 yards to go. Not once did they run. The times they passed short, they had good results. The rest were 35 to 50 yard bombs which all were incomplete. This is a low percentage play. On 2nd down I could understand taking this low percentage high reward play. But on 3rd it's more important to keep the drive going, and so a 7 yard pass is worth a lot more than it is on 1st down. There is nothing like getting that first or second first down. The Hawks need to work on getting those drives going, and to do that they need to surprise the defense with more diversity and take higher percentage plays.

Latest posts