Tim Hasselbeck on Seahawks WR's

Ozzy

Reaction score
Danny O'Neil referenced it today and I think it was on the Herd. He says we have a lack of talent at WR and thats our problem. Not our offensive line and obviously not Russell. He went on to say Wilson actually masks how bad they really are. Do you guys agree or disagree? Do we address it this off season? I love that we have Harvin but not sure you can really count on that to be honest. I think we need to do more to address it.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin had a fantastic rookie year with Tarvaris/Whitehurst and an anemic offense. We're seeing more of the same now that he's healthy. That's the only point I care to make.

Depth, however, is certainly an issue right now.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Clearly they are not a top tier group right now, despite what ADB might say. Tate has demonstrated that he is a quality #2, but he's no #1. He completely disappears in games. Patrick Peterson had him on lockdown nearly the entire game last week. Baldwin also seems like a quality #2. But there is clearly no #1 on the roster presently, and no one with size. I would consider it and the O line the two weakest position groups on the team by far.

seahawksny

Reaction score
RW definitely makes them better I agree.
However I think they would be starters on most teams in the league. With the exception of a few games, they have shown the ability to get open and create a second or third option for RW if his first is covered. I dont think its the receiving core. This team is 12-3 and I dont think you can get to that that point without a decent paying game. It starts with the line in my opinion

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think its a case of having a couple of solid #2's and a great slot receiver in Baldwin. We don't have a guy defenses have to game plan for. Harvin can obviously be that guy but he isn't playing.

seahawks08

Reaction score
We tried to fix it by having Sidney and Percy, unfortunately they are injured.

Germanotta

Reaction score
I think the o-line needs to be addressed first.
The receiving core is good. There just isn't a true #1 receiver. It gets annoying that for the past few games they have been running so many deep routes instead of incorporating some more short and intermediate (kinda like Wes Welker).
As long as there's variety in play calling, I think well be fine.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Yes, I think Wilson (when is playing the usual good to excellent football that he typically plays) significantly elevates the WR corp.

I think our receivers are solid and talented, but I don't think we have a healthy WR that imposes a fear factor. Percy is the only one possibly, but let's not get into that... Sidney Rice is a good WR, but not a great WR (and he is injury prone).

That being said, I think Baldwin, Kearse, and Tate have had a really good year. Baldwin has so many clutch tip-toe sideline catches, Kearse has had a lot of long catches, and Tate is Tate...he is a YACker and has really impressed me with his football IQ.

Depth is really a concern now. More than anything the injury bug has been the big killer, IMO.

I really want a big imposing receiver added to our WR corps (in addition to keeping Harvin). As much as I like Sidney, I think we need to cut him.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think we are fine with WR's, I mean we did not tank just like Atlanta did with Julio and White being injured most of the season, so yes, we are low on WR's but our WR's are good for sure. Golden Tate and Baldwin are clutch and Kearse still need more experience. But Lynch is a great receiver too:)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I was of this opinion earlier in the year, but as Wilson found more success I started changing my tune. None of these receivers are #1s, but they've been selected for a very specific skill set. And with the exception of this week, they've been very good at executing that skill set. Baldwin and Kearse usually make the catches they dropped on Sunday, and I'm 99% positive that if just one more is caught, it's a different outcome. Additionally, Tate was relatively untargeted.

Now, I don't think Pete and John themselves are content, as hinted by their continued rummaging in the NFL's bargain bins (Mike Williams, Kris Durham, Chris Harper, Terrell Owens, Kellen Winslow Jr.) for that one tall big-play guy. I think that'll continue. There are a couple candidates in the next draft.

But I know I'm no longer nearly as harsh on our WR talent as I used to be.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
I'd rather hear what his wife had to say about wide receivers

scutterhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":3hfhd81d said:
Danny O'Neil referenced it today and I think it was on the Herd. He says we have a lack of talent at WR and thats our problem. Not our offensive line and obviously not Russell. He went on to say Wilson actually masks how bad they really are. Do you guys agree or disagree? Do we address it this off season? I love that we have Harvin but not sure you can really count on that to be honest. I think we need to do more to address it.
I don't agree with much of anything Timmay Hasselsack says.
Golden Tate has been making sensational catches at times, as has Baldwin.
Kearse has done pretty well since getting his eyes fixed, and considering that Willson is still pretty much a greenhorn, he's not doing too bad either.
The fact that we had squat for an O-line for a lot of games earlier this Season, we are struggling a bunch to getting any kind of a pass protection to be proud of.
All you have to do is, take a look at how decent other teams are at giving their QB's time to survey the field.
My proof?, Russell Wilson has been one of the most hurried Quarterback in the League this Season, and it's damned hard to make the connections when you're laying on your back.
The O-line needs to be addressed early on in the next Draft, and THEN maybe a big 'good hands' Receiver.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Look at what happened to New England when Brady lost his weapons. Their offense looked terrible. He got Gronk back and the offense took off. I know its looked at as savvy to always say offensive line and for the most part I agree but WR's are a valuable piece of a football team. When opposing coaches game plan for us there isn't a single receiver they change or game plan for. They focus on Wilson and Lynch. Having a true #1 WR would open things up for Wilson obviously but also Lynch and the running game. Its a problem and needs to be addressed and like I said before Harvin would go a long ways to help. Almost every great QB has had a legit elite #1 WR. They need to get Wilson one.

djb28

Reaction score
Tate and Baldwin are incredible talents. I honestly do not see them as a product of better talent making them appear better than they are. Wilson will make "ANYONE" better, But come on. They have great skill.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Tate and Baldwin are good 3-4 WR, they are below avg as 1-2.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":1u14k3cj said:
I'd rather hear what his wife had to say about wide receivers

It would go something like this:

EYE0ZPe

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Totally disagree. Really like the Hawks' WRs. To be totally honest, I think they bail out Wilson with high difficulty catches more than he bails out them. They didn't do so on Sunday, but more times than not they do.

General Manager

Reaction score
I agree that without Rice and Harvin there is a lack of talent at WR. Rice will likely be gone and Harvin is a big question mark the fact that he will miss the entire season is a big red flag imo. They need to address WR and the O-line in the draft.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I don't see how we can possibly plan on Harvin being our #1 next season. We have to resign Rice or use a high draft pick on a true stud receiver. Unfortunately we also need to pull a LT that can back up and eventually replace Okung.

kmedic

Reaction score
You don't have to question Tim Hasselbeck on this question. If you think Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse are above average receivers then you should really question John Schneider. His actions convey his assessment of our WR corps and that was with Sidney Rice. Schneider's assessment of our WRs was such that he was willing to give up a first and third rounder for an upgrade at the position. We all know how valuable draft picks are to him too so you can imagine how low his assessment was. If you think that the current set of WRs are good enough to win a Super Bowl then it would be in stark disagreement to probably one of the best assessors of a roster in the NFL. Think about that for a minute folks.