Thurmond 3 > Browner

Happypuppy

Reaction score
If we indeed have 3 quality starting corners we are very lucky. Who starts or gets most of the reps I suspect would depend on the opposition

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Browners going nowhere, at least not within this division. Thurmond played well today nothing against him, but this talk about trading off a pro bowl caliber CB is just herecy.

BillHawks

Reaction score
They both have their advantages.

Personally, I prefer Browner's ability to help with the run. Thurmond seems like a better blitzer and can cover the slot better than Sherman or Browner. I'd say going forward (next year I guess) we'd see 1. Sherman 2a. Browner 2b. Thurmond, depending on the matchups.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Ack ! I meant keep Browner as the starter outside !

Seriously, I don't see Browner's skillset at covering smaller, quicker slot receivers. He's better outside.

I'm curious about how good Thurmond could be if he could stay healthy. It's like the curiosity about how good Flynn would've been if he had been named starter.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I think one thing fans forgot, was that as a rookie WTIII held Fitz to 1 catch. He has been solid vs him throughout his career.

Tical21

Reaction score
Hmm. We have a kid that goes to the Pro Bowl his first real season in the league, has become a huge part of our identity as a defense and as a team, and we're going to bench him for a player that has played like 6 games? Only in Seattle.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
rideaducati":26nezqrv said:
We were hearing trade rumblings involving Browner before the trade deadline... Maybe they pull the trigger during the off season.

thats completely false .

Browner is a beast . when his suspension ends he will start at corner at WT3 will be the nickle.

GCrow

Reaction score
Just play more Nickel, can get both of them on the field more and interchange depending on the type of receiver lining up against...also gets our "Speed" Line in more. Win Win

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I have a few thoughts on this that I'll weigh in with ...

1) First of all, the very fact that we're even having this debate at all ... is a VERY good thing. It shows that PC and JS have assembled excellent depth at the position.

2) Thurmond is an extremely talented CB. That's an understatement actually. Before he got hurt early in his Senior Year, Thurmond was being talked about as a Jim Thorpe Candidate (given to the best CB in the country). He was without a doubt one of the very best cover corners in the country. Despite missing the final 9 games of his Senior Year, he still ranks 4th at the U of Oregon for Passes Defensed (37). Prior to blowing out his knee, he was being talked about as being a 2nd Round Draft choice (and could have even snuck in to the low 1st Round). So he is a very talented cover CB and a guy who could start, no doubt.

3) When you're talking about Thurmond, you've got to factor in his injury history. Now, former Seahawks Terry Wooden and Joey Galloway had knee injuries during their college career ... and went on to have good productive Seahawk careers. Hopefully that will be the case with Thurmond, but you never know.

4) IMO, Walter Thurmond (if he can show he can stay healthy) is our starting 3rd CB, covering guys in the slot. I posted this a couple of weeks ago, but it bears mentioning again -- Marcus Trufant prior to him getting hurt had a Burned Rate of 72.4%. That is the 2nd worst of any 3rd CB in all of football. I love Marcus and respect the heck out of what he has accomplished as a Seahawk. BUT, he is a shot fighter IMO. I believe this is it for Trufant.

5) As far as Browner is concerned, his skillset just doesn't translate well to the Nickel Corner Spot IMO. His game is all predicated on physicality -- beating WR's up within the first 5 yards, knocking guys off their route, and messing up the timing of plays. He doesn't have the quickness to keep up with speedy slot receivers (he runs a 4.6 vs. Thurmond who runs closer to a 4.45) -- Thurmond does. Browner is the perfect guy to match up with the big, strong WR's on the outside. IMO it's just not going to work to move Browner inside.

Again, love the fact that this is even a topic for debate. That's a great sign for this team.

djb28

Reaction score
That guy is Browner? I thought for sure it was Donovan Mcnabb . huh.. who knew?

MLOhawks

Reaction score
That would suck, Browner and Sherm are my favorite Hawks right now. (and yeah I know PED's, but honestly I couldn't care less, everyone does it and has for 30 years in one form or another. It's part of professional performance and always will be going forward).

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Don't forget Byron Maxwell who was in the hip pocket of every WR he covered today, and Jeremy Lane who is an excellent gunner and showed well today at CB.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2mirnqkp said:
4) IMO, Walter Thurmond (if he can show he can stay healthy) is our starting 3rd CB, covering guys in the slot. I posted this a couple of weeks ago, but it bears mentioning again -- Marcus Trufant prior to him getting hurt had a Burned Rate of 72.4%. That is the 2nd worst of any 3rd CB in all of football. I love Marcus and respect the heck out of what he has accomplished as a Seahawk. BUT, he is a shot fighter IMO. I believe this is it for Trufant.

This is it right here. Trufant just can't cover slot receivers, but Thurmond with his quicks can. The slot receiver is how we got beat this year and had WTIII been available for the first AZ game, vs Detroit, and vs Miami, those would be 3 wins. Simple as that.

Uffda

Reaction score
Would love to see Browner and Sherman then Thurmond at nickel.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't get it. I thought Thurmond looked like a good corner technician yesterday. And yes, as a technician, Browner has some defects. If Earl Bennet could catch, Browner might be the goat of the Chicago game. But Browner makes receivers hear steps, we have seen it all year, guys short arming catches, because they know the punisher is lurking. Even thick running backs have to keep their eyes peeled going around the left corner. League wide, how many corners create that effect? And, as Browner gets older, he might make a hell of a safety or a man cover guy for these pass catching freak tight ends too.

But there is one valid point behind everything J is saying. After 2013, we will have to make hard money decisions. If Thurmond is that good, and we know Sherman is extension worthy right now, and Browner is going to want some pro-bowl wallet stuffing, and Kam, and Earl...We are not going to keep them all.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Browner > Thurmond

Thurmond will be our nickel. You just can't replace a 6 '4 corner who man handles big receivers, who can actually tackel, and has speed as well. Thurmond will be great in the nickel but from what "I" saw yesterday he did nothing to take Browners place. Trufant yes but not BB.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Schadie001":2v57pfxe said:
Browner > Thurmond

Thurmond will be our nickel. You just can't replace a 6 '4 corner who man handles big receivers, who can actually tackel, and has speed as well. Thurmond will be great in the nickel but from what "I" saw yesterday he did nothing to take Browners place. Trufant yes but not BB.
I don't agree with J, but I don't agree with this either. Browner is unique and offers something different, but I can't say he is better. Danny Amendola ties him in knots, he certainly has a player type he struggles with, just like I could see a big receiver being able to push Thurmond around. But Browner does fit the street fight approach better.

Anyone remember the game saving play Browner made to slow play Cam Newton, then take the ball away from the back? That is beyond cornerback skillset, that is just ballin. And it is of value.