Thoughts on Boye Mafe?

Ruminator

Reaction score
Honestly I'm surprised he had 3 sacks.

No disrespect to him. It just seemed like he didn't get much playing time and rarely flashed when on the field.

He averaged 24 snaps per game. For a 24 year old coming into his second year, I expect his playing time to increase now that Irvin is gone. We've got a nice rotation at OLB now, so he will be a big part of that group.

OLB rotation works for me. As a second-round pick, he just needs to show significant strides this year over last. Did he need to bulk up a bit during the off season? Guessing so, but I don't know.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I’m a little concerned with our recent history of drafting defensive ends/OLB’s that aren’t difference makers such as Taylor

Taylor had 9 1/2 sacks in a rotational role in only his 2nd year in the league. Don't understand the hate the guy gets.

As to Mafe, I think the verdict is still out. You can see the potential. He has all the necessary tools. His production should increase as he gets more reps at the position.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Taylor had 9 1/2 sacks in a rotational role in only his 2nd year in the league. Don't understand the hate the guy gets.

As to Mafe, I think the verdict is still out. You can see the potential. He has all the necessary tools. His production should increase as he gets more reps at the position.
What hate? From who? I didn't see any.

bileever

Reaction score
Boye Mafe is still learning the position. He only averaged about 24 snaps a game last year. Frank Clark had 3 sacks his first year, then had ten the next year.

In fact, their rookie years are very similar. Clark had 3 sacks, 16 tackles, 4 TFLs, and 6 QB hits his rookie year. Mafe had 3 sacks, 41 tackles, 3 TFLs and 4 QB hits.

Too early to say, but a promising start for Mafe.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Boye Mafe is still learning the position. He only averaged about 24 snaps a game last year. Frank Clark had 3 sacks his first year, then had ten the next year.

In fact, their rookie years are very similar. Clark had 3 sacks, 16 tackles, 4 TFLs, and 6 QB hits his rookie year. Mafe had 3 sacks, 41 tackles, 3 TFLs and 4 QB hits.

Too early to say, but a promising start for Mafe.
This is good context.

I'd also add that Travon Walker (788 snaps) and Kayvon Thibodeaux (740 snaps) (the 1st and 5th picks in the same draft) had 3.5 sacks/5 stuffs and 4 sacks/4 stuffs, respectively. Mafe only played 414 snaps and had 3 sacks and 5 stuffs.

Granted, Kayvon also had some forced fumbles and pass deflections, but he also gets to play next to Dexter friggin' Lawrence.

Snap counts are here: https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/snap-counts/defense.php

scutterhawk

Reaction score
To my untrained eye, he looks explosive (at times), solid instincts, good attack upfield. But he's a rookie and sometimes gets eaten up by powerful offensive linemen. He does seem to flow to the ball really well. After getting the rookie jitters out of the way, I see him being an impactful player going forward... he has excellent speed and can get after the quarterback. Once he refines his technique and adds more moves to his arsenal, he could be a big play sack guy. I think that if our interior DL were more consistent at surfing the run and generating pressure, he'd be even more effective.
^^This^^ PLUS, I think that the Seahawks bringing in Pass Rush Expert Brandon Jordan to upgrade their Defenders 'Get After it' was a really skookum move on their part.

Ruminator

Reaction score
From me. I've been on Taylor's case since we drafted him. I have an unfounded strange bias against the guy
That's the term -- "unfounded strange bias" -- that I thought was actually the case. The other term was like, whoa, seriously?

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
This is good context.

I'd also add that Travon Walker (788 snaps) and Kayvon Thibodeaux (740 snaps) (the 1st and 5th picks in the same draft) had 3.5 sacks/5 stuffs and 4 sacks/4 stuffs, respectively. Mafe only played 414 snaps and had 3 sacks and 5 stuffs.

Granted, Kayvon also had some forced fumbles and pass deflections, but he also gets to play next to Dexter friggin' Lawrence.

Snap counts are here: https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/snap-counts/defense.php
Mafe’s nearly identical production to a pair of top 5 picks in not much more than half the snap counts is great perspective and makes me realize that he had a much better season than I thought he did.

I really liked the pick when it was made and I still do, so I’m not trying to rag on him.

Kayvon does lead Boye in doing a snow angel right next to a quarterback that he just severely injured, but I’m okay with that.

Ruminator

Reaction score
This is good context.

Thanks for pointing out these comparison stats. Lots of optimism that we're likely to see a lot more good things from Mafe this year and beyond.

Scout

Reaction score
Pass rushers are hard to judge. Some are hot in year 1, year 2 or even year 3.

Mick063

Reaction score

Watch the replay of the Atlanta game again. Then come back to me about Taylor. He was absolutely awful. Crashing hard with an inside rush and letting Cordarrelle Patterson get outside of him. A graphic display of how NOT to set the edge in the run game.

So, after that game, I was very, very hard on Taylor. Guess what? So were the coaches. His snap count dropped significantly after that game. He lost his starting job. They had to call Irvin back from the living room sofa.

At best, Taylor is a package player that should only be played on predictable passing downs. If Hall or Mafe show the slightest hint of a competent, consistent pass rush, proving that they don't have to rotate with Taylor when the nickel comes in, then Taylor's days are numbered. Further, the team already has an over-priced safety that is used in that defined package role as well.

It seems that over time, during the 2022 season, Taylor was getting out of that early season doghouse. The team was giving him another chance to prove himself. Then during the recent draft, they surprisingly used pick #37 for Derick Hall with a bevy of nose tackles still on the board. In the end, Seattle might get some trade value out of Taylor. They might get a compensatory pick out of him. More than likely neither happens.

The front office answered your question for you. Now you should be able to understand.

Last edited:

GGotskill

Reaction score
Watch the replay of the Atlanta game again. Then come back to me about Taylor. He was absolutely awful. Crashing hard with an inside rush and letting Cordarrelle Patterson get outside of him. A graphic display of how NOT to set the edge in the run game.

So, after that game, I was very, very hard on Taylor. Guess what? So were the coaches. His snap count dropped significantly after that game. He lost his starting job. Fast forward to today. Who did Seattle spend their top second round pick on? It wasn't a DT. It was Taylor's position.

At best, Taylor is a package player that should only be played on predictable passing downs. If Hall or Mafe show the slightest hint of a competent, consistent pass rush, prove they don't have to rotate with Taylor when the nickel comes in, then Taylor's days are numbered. Further, they already have a high-priced safety that is used in that role as well. Seattle might get some trade value out of him. They might get a compensatory pick out of him. More than likely neither happens.

The front office answered your question for you. Now you should be able to understand.

Judging a player by his worst game as a pro? No thanks.

warden

Reaction score
Some players need to be be developed. It is not always instant gratification that the fans want

Mick063

Reaction score
Some players need to be be developed. It is not always instant gratification that the fans want
Instant gratification is demanding that the team draft a DT and then getting pissed when it doesn't happen for five rounds. Giving the benefit of the doubt is watching a player, on the field, make serious mental mistakes that every high school DE should know better.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score

So, after that game, I was very, very hard on Taylor. Guess what? So were the coaches. His snap count dropped significantly after that game. He lost his starting job. They had to call Irvin back from the living room sofa.

At best, Taylor is a package player that should only be played on predictable passing downs. If Hall or Mafe show the slightest hint of a competent, consistent pass rush, proving that they don't have to rotate with Taylor when the nickel comes in, then Taylor's days are numbered. Further, the team already has an over-priced safety that is used in that defined package role as well.

It seems that over time, during the 2022 season, Taylor was getting out of that early season doghouse. The team was giving him another chance to prove himself. Then during the recent draft, they surprisingly used pick #37 for Derick Hall with a bevy of nose tackles still on the board. In the end, Seattle might get some trade value out of Taylor. They might get a compensatory pick out of him. More than likely neither happens.

TL : DR

It was his 2nd year. Relax. You act like he slept with your wife or something.

Last edited: