Thoughts on Boye Mafe?

seabowl

Reaction score
This has obviously been a stellar draft class. They hit on so many players which have actually helped the team immensely this year. With the sad, I’m curious of your thoughts on Boye Mafe?

So far he has been ok but nothing special. Yes he’s a rookie but I’m a little concerned with our recent history of drafting defensive ends/OLB’s that aren’t difference makers such as Taylor (so far) Rasheem Green, Collier, etc.

What do you think?

Last edited:

RockinHawks

Reaction score
To my untrained eye, he looks explosive (at times), solid instincts, good attack upfield. But he's a rookie and sometimes gets eaten up by powerful offensive linemen. He does seem to flow to the ball really well. After getting the rookie jitters out of the way, I see him being an impactful player going forward... he has excellent speed and can get after the quarterback. Once he refines his technique and adds more moves to his arsenal, he could be a big play sack guy. I think that if our interior DL were more consistent at surfing the run and generating pressure, he'd be even more effective.

Boohman14

Reaction score
He has great instincts and nice speed. He'll just get better. Pete's not letting him get exposed yet and he's rotational right now but as the season progresses and he becomes more instinct driven he'll be a good one. It's starting to look like the youth movement on our defense will take hold in a couple seasons. I look forward to this upcoming draft. it appears to me that John's putting together another dominate defense.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
He is one of the steals in 2022 draft. Pre-draft he was rated in the top 20 in most draft predictions. To get Mafe at 41st was just awesome. He'll be great. Unlike Darrell Taylor who is leaning toward becoming an one year wonder.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
He is one of the steals in 2022 draft. Pre-draft he was rated in the top 20 in most draft predictions. To get Mafe at 41st was just awesome. He'll be great. Unlike Darrell Taylor who is leaning toward becoming a one year wonder.
Sorry but I read a ton of pre draft reports and he was not in any top 20 that I remember seeing. Late 1 at best but mostly in the 2nd round

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think the three hardest positions to immediately excel as a rookie has got to be: quarterback, receiver, and pass rusher!

I think there is a lot to like with Mafe but I think it’ll take him some time to learn the NFL game.

Unless, you are a genetic freak like Myles Garrett, an instant pass rushing phenom is difficult to get immediately.

Mafe is still learning how to battle NFL offensive lineman and still developing pass rushing moves and counters and setup, etc.

Give him some more time at least another 3 years before anointing him pass or fail.

Hell, Seattle, is still giving LJ Collier time. But, I’ve seen enough from Collier. Collier, was just a horrible pick.

Ruminator

Reaction score
The general consensus on Mafe's performance last season was that he was OK, is only a rookie and needs time to develop, and might be a real asset once he has 2 to 3 years under his belt. Thing is, Seattle selected him in Round 2 last year, 40th pick overall. Not sure how his 28 solo tackles and 3 sacks compares with the average OLB taken in the second round, though I do understand the OLB position takes a while to get the hang of. To his credit, he did play in every game last year. Not that he sucked or anything last season, but guess I'm hoping to see him do a lot more this season.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Honestly I'm surprised he had 3 sacks.

No disrespect to him. It just seemed like he didn't get much playing time and rarely flashed when on the field.

He averaged 24 snaps per game. For a 24 year old coming into his second year, I expect his playing time to increase now that Irvin is gone. We've got a nice rotation at OLB now, so he will be a big part of that group.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Honestly I'm surprised he had 3 sacks.

No disrespect to him. It just seemed like he didn't get much playing time and rarely flashed when on the field.

He averaged 24 snaps per game. For a 24 year old coming into his second year, I expect his playing time to increase now that Irvin is gone. We've got a nice rotation at OLB now, so he will be a big part of that group.

Is Irvin not coming back ? I wonder if they're thinking about it.

Mick063

Reaction score
I personally like Nwosu and Hall as the projected starters. I think Hall is much more technically advanced at recognition and shedding blocks. He is also known for reliably setting the edge in the run game. More actual production as opposed to being a physical project.

Last edited:

Latest posts