This team wins 3 SBs with Geno instead of Russ

Torc

Reaction score
The problem with continuing this narrative is that things haven't supported that narrative for quite awhile. The other guy is not that guy you still think he is. And Geno may very well be the guy to carry the team to the end. He certainly handled the offense exactly as that kind of guy today.

Going forward, time will tell, but at what point will others let go of the preconceptions that continue to be disproven. It seems quite clear that the Seahawks have been on board with Geno for much longer than any of us here can claim.
That's totally fair, and I'm perfectly willing for him to win me over.

But here's why I disagree:
- Last week, the offense scored 3 points in the second half. Geno got the ball with 5 minutes left, plenty of time for a scoring drive to hopefully win the game. Interception.
- Week one, zero points in the second half. Luckily the donkeys were utterly incompetent in every phase of the game and the Seahawks came away with a win.
- against the 49ers - after the seahawks are down by 13, throws two interceptions. Offense is shut out for the game.

His games last year, when he started three games.
- Pittsburgh, 6 points in the second half. With the ball in his hands in overtime he gets sacked and fumbles the ball near the Seahawks end zone, and the steelers get an easy FG and win.
- new Orleans. 3 points in the second half. Gets the ball with two minutes left in the game, down by three. throws an incomplete, takes two sacks and throws an incomplete on 4th and 28.
- beating Jacksonville decisively is obviously a positive. But it also indicates to me - when he's comfortable and playing with a lead, he's efficient and effective.

Thus far he has been extremely efficient at the beginning of games. He's played very well against bad teams both last year and this year. In fairness to him, he's had very little help from the defense. But there's a bothersome trend of few to no points in the second half, except against real bottom feeders. Thus far I haven't seen anything to change my opinion - he's not been the QB I have faith in when the Seahawks are behind, or when they need a score to grab a win at the end of a game. I think in those cases he starts to press too hard and do too much.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
That's totally fair, and I'm perfectly willing for him to win me over.

But here's why I disagree:
- Last week, the offense scored 3 points in the second half. Geno got the ball with 5 minutes left, plenty of time for a scoring drive to hopefully win the game. Interception.
- Week one, zero points in the second half. Luckily the donkeys were utterly incompetent in every phase of the game and the Seahawks came away with a win.
- against the 49ers - after the seahawks are down by 13, throws two interceptions. Offense is shut out for the game.

His games last year, when he started three games.
- Pittsburgh, 6 points in the second half. With the ball in his hands in overtime he gets sacked and fumbles the ball near the Seahawks end zone, and the steelers get an easy FG and win.
- new Orleans. 3 points in the second half. Gets the ball with two minutes left in the game, down by three. throws an incomplete, takes two sacks and throws an incomplete on 4th and 28.
- beating Jacksonville decisively is obviously a positive. But it also indicates to me - when he's comfortable and playing with a lead, he's efficient and effective.

Thus far he has been extremely efficient at the beginning of games. He's played very well against bad teams both last year and this year. In fairness to him, he's had very little help from the defense. But there's a bothersome trend of few to no points in the second half, except against real bottom feeders. Thus far I haven't seen anything to change my opinion - he's not been the QB I have faith in when the Seahawks are behind, or when they need a score to grab a win at the end of a game. I think in those cases he starts to press too hard and do too much.
Goalposts shifting to fit narratives. Metrics show he's playing great football.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So far. 4 games in to a 17 game season. IF he does this against great defenses? Now we're talking. I'm very happy with what I've seen of this guy so far.
But wow are some people jumping the gun on crowning him. I'm enjoying the season overall.
It's not Geno hate, it's wanting to see more, that's all. Detroit has a horrific defense. Then again, Geno made some huge throws when it counted in the 2nd half.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Geno's top 10 in yards and #1 in completion percentage! :oops:

Who would have thought that two months ago?? Not me.

Let's pump the brakes a bit though, it's two good games and two meh games so far.

Keep it up GS!

morgulon1

Reaction score
Lynch and the top 3 defence of all time is what won the super bowl..qb came up short at the end of the game otherwise it was 2...all because they wanted him to get mvp..that will always be on Pete.
No matter how Pete Petey Pete tries to " aw shucks, that was the right call there" it will burn a hole
in his freaking soul. At the moment dangerwich ( it's spppiccccyyyy) throws that weak azz pick Seattle
should of left him in Arizona and moved on.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Well he did score a good amount more against them then any of their previous 3 opponents did. I don't care how bad a defense is, no punts is the pinnacle of offensive performance

I loved the game today, and it was definitely an offensive showcase, but it's also just one game against a weak defensive opponent. Let's see the offense (and Geno specifically) play consistently well for 3 or 4 more games before we get overly excited about future prospects. Doesn't mean we cant thoroughly enjoy the win this week though.

Torc

Reaction score
Goalposts shifting to fit narratives. Metrics show he's playing great football.
Metrics don't indicate context. Can you give me an example in the 7 games he has started in the past two seasons, where he has led a go-ahead drive in the 2nd half when the Seahawks were behind by a single score? He's certainly had opportunity. I'm not holding him to wins - if he hands over a lead to the defense at the end of a game, he's done his jobs. I can save you the trouble - he hasn't. He did bring them from down by 3 to a tie in the Falcons game in the 3rd quarter - that's his best 'clutch' moment. I'm not trashing Geno. I really hope he gets over the hump and has a great season in wins as well as metrics.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
There. I said it. Geno comes into the league in the 2013 season, a year after Russ. If in some alternate reality we ended up drafting Geno that year and never getting Russ, we win 3 SBs. That's how much Russ weighed us down. With that legendary D and run game, Geno would have turned into a perennial all-pro under Pete's tutilage. Just look how good he is now, after he never got a fair chance on trash franchises.

With Geno instead of Russ, this team would have won 3 SBs
Part of me, thinks this could be true…

At least, in the very least, Geno, is probably a lot more well liked than Wilson was by his Seattle teammates.

If Geno was the QB and had a nucleus of the Super Bowl teams and the LOB, this could have happened.

Not sure how likely but I guess it could have been a possibility….

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Metrics don't indicate context. Can you give me an example in the 7 games he has started in the past two seasons, where he has led a go-ahead drive in the 2nd half when the Seahawks were behind by a single score? He's certainly had opportunity. I'm not holding him to wins - if he hands over a lead to the defense at the end of a game, he's done his jobs. I can save you the trouble - he hasn't. He did bring them from down by 3 to a tie in the Falcons game in the 3rd quarter - that's his best 'clutch' moment. I'm not trashing Geno. I really hope he gets over the hump and has a great season in wins as well as metrics.
This cherry picked example is why I've lost faith in objectivity around these parts. If this is all you are going to hang your hat on, while wholesale ignoring everything else Geno has done so far this season, then you're hopeless.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's playing well, but there is plenty of ball left in 2023. Including some very good defenses. It IS ok to be curious how he will do against a very good defense.
Doesn't mean you can't appreciate what he has done over 4 games.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
One does wonder what was going though Geno's mind when he stood on the sideline and watched how Russ ignored layups, ran in circles, etc etc., How much it must poked Geno when Russ rushed back just to deny his opportunity for couple more games, rushed back at the expense of team record and playoff chances.

What was going though Geno's mind when he stood on the sideline all these years with a smile, before going over to kiss some diva azz.

Lol. So you think a guy that went 1-3 (only win against the worst team in the league) was going to propel the team into the playoffs and obtain a better record than the QB who will probably be going into the HOF? Oh this board sometimes.

Torc

Reaction score
This cherry picked example is why I've lost faith in objectivity around these parts. If this is all you are going to hang your hat on, while wholesale ignoring everything else Geno has done so far this season, then you're hopeless.
The cherry picked example of every game he has started for the Seahawks?!?

Please, provide your non-cherry picked example of actual game situations where he has shown that he is playing "great football" in more than the first half of a game.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Lol. So you think a guy that went 1-3 (only win against the worst team in the league) was going to propel the team into the playoffs and obtain a better record than the QB who will probably be going into the HOF? Oh this board sometimes.
Geno went 1-2 last year, not 1-3. Russ was losing the Rams game before Geno stepped in but Russ played most of that game and the Seahawks were losing when Geno took over.

The starting pitcher takes the L when the team is behind when he's pulled and you should know that.

This board sometimes...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
more time is spent arguing about the current QB and/or obsessing about the former QB.......than there is just talking about the games.