THIS is the Russell Wilson I've been waiting for!!

Hawks46

Reaction score
HansGruber":2tx6tdi2 said:
I wonder if that o-line improving might have anything to do with it

I'd totally agree with this. Once Wilson can actually trust a pocket consistently, he's stayed in it longer and is playing better.

I also like what Tical said "win with your mind". He's diagnosing and playing well, seeing more open options and getting the ball out in rhythm. The beautiful thing about this is you still have the playmaking ability to fall back on, you just don't have to do it as much. Meaning when Wilson does bust out some insane moves, it's more dynamic and has a worse effect on the defense.

Reading what a lot of DLmen have said, historically Manning and Brady were the most frustrating guys to rush. They get the ball out so quickly, that you work your ass off to get to the QB and the ball is already out. You can see it this year with Brady; guys start to get frustrated and rush at 80% effort until critical downs.

Now imagine that kind of guy, and when you finally do get home, the QB just busts a spin move on you straight our of Madden and either takes the top off your defense, or runs 20 yards downfield on you, then gets out of bounds without taking a hit.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Is Tical the "high expectations Asian Dad meme of seahawks.net?

frabz-son-has-hepatitis-b-why-not-hepatitis-a-0db2dc.jpg

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":32oueu7h said:
Nahh, according to Tickle and a few others, any and all of Russell Wilson's shortcomings were of his own doing, and ALL the hits & sacks were because he didn't get rid of the ball within 1.4 seconds.
They just wanted, or expected him to throw the ball, even if, or when there was NO ONE THERE to catch the damned thing WITHIN that 1.4 seconds.
I'm just guessing that they'd never noticed the O-Line's INSTANT collapse earlier in the season.
These "I Told You So's" are oblivious to the actual facts, and that they KNOW how to PLAY the Quarterback position BETTER than Russell Wilson.
They know this how?......They've been WATCHING Quarterbacks playing on TV for a long time :lol:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":xgjji8k6 said:
HansGruber":xgjji8k6 said:

I'd totally agree with this. Once Wilson can actually trust a pocket consistently, he's stayed in it longer and is playing better.

I also like what Tical said "win with your mind". He's diagnosing and playing well, seeing more open options and getting the ball out in rhythm.

I'm with Tical and I think I mentioned as much earlier in the year.

Seems there are a lot of things coming together. I expected the O line to struggle and wanted to see signs of improvement by end of October. We started to see flashes of that early October and that continued.

Seattle was also not threatening the middle of the field effectively and it seemed by choice. Seattle has done a much better job of doing so of late, even if it just meant calling patterns out there that weren't thrown to. For sure, I advocated them going to a more quick passing game to help alleviate protection issues. Seattle is mixing short passes very effectively now.

Wilson was having timing issues. Mostly it seemed centered on trust/comfort deficiencies. He'd be a tad late on throws -- seemed like he'd hit his drop and the ball wouldn't come out. Whether it wasn't trusting what he was seeing or whether he couldn't get the ball out and let his receivers play the ball. Certainly there were many instances of bailing out on the play by scrambling when the pocket was still clean -- just as receivers would be breaking into the clear.

Now, he's seeing everything crisply. Hits his back foot and ball is out. The timing of throws are right there, where they were just a shade late. There is a level of precision to the timing that is crucial in making the most of the quick passing game and Wilson is dialed in hard at that. His body english just reeks of calm confidence on his drop backs.

This has been the QB that I always thought we had potentially. A confident Wilson is an MVP caliber thrower. There is a distinct improvement in his confidence with all of the players around him that is resulting in just exquisite timing of his decisions. I can't deny that the O line seems to be improved as it appeared they were doing heading into November. But I think Wilson's quicker execution of passes is equally responsible for the 'improved pass protection'. The drastic reduction in time between snap and delivery is well documented. The opportunities that one could see on the all 22 that were being missed earlier in the year are getting cashed in, and cashed in bunches.

It just seems like a lot of really small things coming together at the right time and all contributing to turning an offense that seemed just a bit off into one humming on all cylinders.

Anthony!

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2d0eo733 said:
HansGruber":2d0eo733 said:
Nahh, according to Tickle and a few others, any and all of Russell Wilson's shortcomings were of his own doing, and ALL the hits & sacks were because he didn't get rid of the ball within 1.4 seconds.
They just wanted, or expected him to throw the ball, even if, or when there was NO ONE THERE to catch the damned thing WITHIN that 1.4 seconds.
I'm just guessing that they'd never noticed the O-Line's INSTANT collapse earlier in the season.
These "I Told You So's" are oblivious to the actual facts, and that they KNOW how to PLAY the Quarterback position BETTER than Russell Wilson.
They know this how?......They've been WATCHING Quarterbacks playing on TV for a long time :lol:

LOL yeah its not like the HC would know "Just listened to Pete Carroll on the radio and he was asked why Wilson was playing so well. He said that Wilson has been playing well all season... imagine that... and now the elements on offense are playing well around him. That's why we're seeing a difference in offensive production." "Carroll has attributed quarterback Russell Wilson's recent hot streak more to the improvement of Seattle's offensive line than to improvement in Wilson's play, which he says has been consistently good. He did so again on Monday when asked about Wilson's performance against Minnesota. Carroll: "I think it's a continuation of what's been happening. I don't think anything has changed, I don't think all of the sudden the light went on or anything. I think we're just working together. Look at the difference in us protecting the quarterback. " And I Can go on

Anthony!

Reaction score
scutterhawk":30omgebu said:
HansGruber":30omgebu said:

LOL yeah its not like the HC would know "Just listened to Pete Carroll on the radio and he was asked why Wilson was playing so well. He said that Wilson has been playing well all season... imagine that... and now the elements on offense are playing well around him. That's why we're seeing a difference in offensive production." "Carroll has attributed quarterback Russell Wilson's recent hot streak more to the improvement of Seattle's offensive line than to improvement in Wilson's play, which he says has been consistently good. He did so again on Monday when asked about Wilson's performance against Minnesota. Carroll: "I think it's a continuation of what's been happening. I don't think anything has changed, I don't think all of the sudden the light went on or anything. I think we're just working together. Look at the difference in us protecting the quarterback. " And I Can go on

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
hawker84":jrv4b9ri said:
Largent80":jrv4b9ri said:
Seriously?....It took you over 3 years and 2 superbowls in a row to get it?

No I actually got it way back in 2012 when our O line was weak as well. I was just commenting how nice it was to see a clean pocket for once, which is why you're seeing a different RW in the last 2, 3 games. So how did i not get it till now? posts like yours and the one above is what makes me want to stay clear if these boards. Really don't see the reason to attack me , But hey, whatever gets you through the day.
hawker84, I believe Rob was responding to the OP and not you.

Jville

Reaction score
Russell is making life a lot easier for blockers and receivers alike. More predictable timing and launch points.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/674008808444661760[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/674010467983953920[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SandoESPN/status/673723023183249408[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
Really wish that Wilson would stay in the pocket more and learn to be a pocket passer, the Mediots are right on this :) Ron Jaworski then could maybe add him to his good QB list.

rastahawk

Reaction score
While I never doubted Russ but phew! This is what all of us were waiting for. The quick drop and shoot qb. I was beginning to think whether it is true what they say about short qb's not being able to see the field properly and therefore being a little gun shy. Though I do think its still a liability what it does do is it forces him to be instinctual. When you have that kind of field sense look out. Everything becomes just like breathing.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
scutterhawk":11ztx0j0 said:
HansGruber":11ztx0j0 said:
If you're unable to look at some game film, recognize a playcall, recognize the defense, and recognize what the quarterback's decision process should have been, based on that defense, and recognize that his primary receiver was plenty open and the QB chose not to throw the ball, on numerous occasions on a weekly basis, over the course of a number of years, I don't know what to tell ya man. I've seen you following me around and taking your cute little shots. Just do us both a favor and take advantage of the ignore button.

Wasn't the Steelers game the worst protection Russell had all year?? Hmmmmmmmm......

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Philip Rivers didn't have the quick passing game until 2013, why did it take almost 7 years of playing before they changed their offense? The answer is pretty much what the Seahawks had went through.

The chargers offense was built on deep ball, the same way our offense for the 3.5 years with Wilson was built on. It became ineffective as defenses knew what was coming.

"The problem has been finishing those drives with touchdowns. The Chargers are scoring touchdowns on only 52% of their drives inside the opponent's 20-yard line."

"The biggest change was reducing the time Rivers held onto the football in the pocket. It took Rivers an average of 2.79 seconds to throw last season"

"After throwing 35 interceptions over the past two seasons, Rivers has cut down on mistakes (only seven interceptions in eight games), has received better protection (he's been sacked only 12 times) and is completing passes at the highest rate of his career (72.7%). It's helped him throw for 2,473 yards and 17 touchdowns."

Sounds familiar? Both are NC State guys

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... t/3478159/

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Largent80":1bdv6zg0 said:
Seriously?....It took you over 3 years and 2 superbowls in a row to get it?
Shhh...don't tell Anthony! .

Personally I believe it helps a whole hell of a lot that the OL isn't a total dumpster fire, we have Rawls, and Bevell is finally calling plays that have multiple options available, with at least one quick option in every last one of them, instead of play action/chuck it deep. But what do I know?

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
HansGruber":2d8ic34z said:

Pete was adamant about this Monday. When pressed about Wilson's struggles earlier this season, Pete immediately turned the discussion to the Oline and threw them under the bus HAHAHA.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Aros":356ma92t said:
The only thing that surprises me is how surprised people are acting about Russell Wilson.

There hasn't been a single thing in the past 12 quarters that has changed my opinion about him. He's a once-in-a-lifetime player. He's special, and a future HOFer, I have felt that since he came into the league and nothing has changed my mind sense. Great games, bad games, average games...I feel exactly the same about how special he is every single week.

Yes...and when he retires he could open up a car dealership and become the largest dealership in America!! :th2thumbs:

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3qj7jz4v said:
Aros":3qj7jz4v said:
The only thing that surprises me is how surprised people are acting about Russell Wilson.

There hasn't been a single thing in the past 12 quarters that has changed my opinion about him. He's a once-in-a-lifetime player. He's special, and a future HOFer, I have felt that since he came into the league and nothing has changed my mind sense. Great games, bad games, average games...I feel exactly the same about how special he is every single week.

Yes...and when he retires he could open up a car dealership and become the largest dealership in America!! :th2thumbs:
Or, as his coach at Wisconsin said, "I know he'll be a Hall of Fame quarterback, and I think he might just be president of the USA"...

(though I can't see me voting for him)