The way too early

morgulon1

Reaction score
Game of guess the starting defense for 2023 . Any takers or has this been done ?
I'll take a feeble attempt..

Line : D Jones .. M Morris .. J Reed

LB : Ochwena (sp?) Wagner ..Bush.. Taylor.

DB : Woolen.. Witherspoon..
J Adams..Q Diggs

I think these guys will play : Love and
M Jackson , D Hall , K Bryant

Dark horse: Jerrick Reed

My list sucks

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Seahawks have generally started in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme since Pete has got here. The Broncos superbowl game is all I remember they started in their nickel package, but I'm sure there's been a few more.

If we go 3-4 defense, I'd change out Mike Morris at nose tackle and replace him with Cameron Young. Mike's too tall and too lean to play 0/1 tech.

I'd replace Taylor at SLB with Boye Mafe. If I remember correctly, Mafe had taken Taylor's spot as the base strongside outside linebacker the last 3 or 4 games last year and played well. I saw some training camp video and he looks big, too. Let Taylor play in their nickel package as the qb head hunter full time.

Brooks starts when he's healthy but I believe he's a long shot to make it back week 1.

Off Topic, does anyone know which position Jarren Reed has been playing in the training camps? Is he getting any snaps at nose?

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
I thought Reed was a DE in the base 3/4 and could move inside on passing downs.
I think they're setting themselves up to do a lot of substitutions , heavy rotation to keep them fresh, fast and angry.

After I made my list I thought about Cameron Young. I hope he can make a difference.
I have a gut feeling Mike Morris is going to be a good player.

Mick063

Reaction score
There are "packages" not starters. Down and distance and opposition personnel will determine which players take the field.

There once was a time, long ago, when players went both ways, played both offense and defense. We should consider the concept of "starter" as similarly archaic as that.

If you were to instead narrow this down to which offensive or defensive players are considered "every down" players and rarely substitute out, you would have a more accurate assessment of what you are attempting to accomplish here. For example, the quarterback typically falls into this category, and to preserve the sanctity of the QB center "snap" exchange, you would typically include the center as well. Regardless, the total number of such players are less than the total number of eleven that will comprise either the offensive or defensive units that will be on the field at any given time.

Last edited:

Weadoption

Reaction score
I thought Reed was a DE in the base 3/4 and could move inside on passing downs.
I think they're setting themselves up to do a lot of substitutions , heavy rotation to keep them fresh, fast and angry.

After I made my list I thought about Cameron Young. I hope he can make a difference.
I have a gut feeling Mike Morris is going to be a good player.
that could be a real tipping point for the D if a guy like Cameron Young comes in an gives you great production from the NT spot. The Niners definitely do not need the Hawks striking gold at the NT position, now or ever, seems like u guys due to uncover one there.

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
that could be a real tipping point for the D if a guy like Cameron Young comes in an gives you great production from the NT spot. The Niners definitely do not need the Hawks striking gold at the NT position, now or ever, seems like u guys due to uncover one there.
I couldn't tell you where I saw this but I read Young will be a serviceable NT type ,
Not a world changer. But with every team , we won't know until training camp then the season. All of us have hope and dreams at this point.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Pretty sure Jarran Reed will be in Base Def as 5T (Big DE) for 3-4 Base and DT for 4-3 Base. I see Mafe and Hall battling for Edge/OLB opposite Uchenna.

keasley45

Reaction score
Pretty sure Jarran Reed will be in Base Def as 5T (Big DE) for 3-4 Base and DT for 4-3 Base. I see Mafe and Hall battling for Edge/OLB opposite Uchenna.

You think so? I thought Pete talked about him being more inside in 34 this go-round?

Could be wrong.

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
You think so? I thought Pete talked about him being more inside in 34 this go-round?

Could be wrong.
You know , I think you might be on to something. My theory is that there are going to be a lot of looks and combinations . The fact that we're not sure who will play and where is a kinda proof that we have versatility and depth. It might change week to week depending on the opponent but I'm sure it's heavily slanted towards our division,
Namely San Francisco. They're the division champion until further notice.

I'm excited to see what happens.