The running game is the key to winning. Period

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":3vcpu0qr said:
seabowl":3vcpu0qr said:
It was apparent with Lynch, Carson (when healthy), and now Penney (when healthy) that Pete Carroll coached teams win or lose based on the running game. If Pete stays (which I have thought for some time he will) solidifying the run must be the first priority. What happened this year with no running game before a few weeks ago should be the most eye opening part for management in that in order for the team to comPete, they need a good running game. Wilson just can’t do it on his own anymore.

Fix the run game (and D scheme) and win.

Its not the Key to winning we have won without it, It just makes it much easier, ask Rodgers, Mahomes, Manning and others. FYI we have won games this year and last without much of a running game.

example
all Playoff teams
Tenn ahh run game, top 10 scoring defense and top 15 yards
KC top 10 scoring defense and top 15 yards in run gave avg over 4 ypc 100 yards per game
Buffalo top 5 scoring defense and top 10 yards, over 100 yards per game
TB top 10 scoring defense and top 15 yards, run game avg over 4 ypc and 98 yards per game
GB 14 scoring defense, top 10 yards per game defense, 4 YPC and 100 per game,

This fallacy that Wilson is the only QB who needs a run game is just plain wrong. They all do, or at least the threat of it.

The run game makes it easier to pass, guess what the passing game makes it easier to run they help each other. Wilson knows this that's why he audibled to run several times. The thing Wilson has always wanted and was the key to the let Russ cook thing was tempo. In the last 2 games we played with tempo alot.

When have we won anything without it?

John63

Reaction score
olyfan63":312mtlvp said:
John63":312mtlvp said:
The reality is the run is the key against t a poor run defense
the pass is the key against a poor pass defense

The reis no one size fits all. each game has different challenges and you game plan to take advantage and then you make adjustments as needed.
Maybe this season has been about Pete finally letting go of the "impose our will" BS that worked at USC but got figured out in the NFL after a couple seasons. And Russell learning to play the new flavor of Pete+Waldron-ball.

That bit about a 49ers defender guessing right on the upcoming play 80% based on pre-snap reads... no wonder our offense has struggled in recent years when it mattered most. No wonder Brandon Browner knew what was happening before-hand on "the pick" in SB49.

I would argue the first half of the first game and the last 2 games were about him letting go of the impose the will stuff.

The thing for me is one would think a coach who some view as one of the best would have figured it out a while ago.

That said if he has figured it out better late than never I guess.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
We maybe have won games without a decent RB attack, but if we're being realistic here, we've had a lot MORE success when we have had one to help take the heat off of Russ.
If the last two games showed us anything? a decent Run Game sprinkled in throughout the ENTIRE GAME, you don't have to wait til the 4th quarter to constantly try & make 2-minute drill come backs.
So YES, the >HELP< of a decent "Running Game IS Key" to >HELPING< your Quarterback win more >CONSISTENTLY< and yes, this includes Russ.

John63

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1bx7bljy said:
We maybe have won games without a decent RB attack, but if we're being realistic here, we've had a lot MORE success when we have had one to help take the heat off of Russ.
If the last two games showed us anything? a decent Run Game sprinkled in throughout the ENTIRE GAME, you don't have to wait til the 4th quarter to constantly try & make 2-minute drill come backs.
So YES, the >HELP< of a decent "Running Game IS Key" to >HELPING< your Quarterback win consistently.

There have been more than 1 game we have won without a great run game. That said I get your point as I said a good run game helps all QBs look at Mahomes and Brady they have had good to great run games most of their careers.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
John63":2wvlt7v6 said:
scutterhawk":2wvlt7v6 said:
So YES, the >HELP< of a decent "Running Game IS Key" to >HELPING< your Quarterback win consistently.

There have been more than 1 game we have won without a great run game. That said I get your point as I said a good run game helps all QBs look at Mahomes and Brady they have had good to great run games most of their careers.
And Wilson has had even MORE wins when he's had the help of a Run Game, that's all I'm trying to say.
Hey, bear in mind, I'm a HUGE Russell Wilson fan too. :2thumbs:

Jville

Reaction score
Play action quarterbacks are at their best with a strong running game setting up exploitable opportunities. It delays that first rush step. A commanding run game facilitates getting into an offensive rhythm.

Without it, offensive production is hit and miss.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Football is football.

When you're balanced, have success on first down and have your full playbook available on 2nd and 3rd down? You can win a lot of games.

When you're one dimensional regardless of being run or pass heavy, it makes you much more predictable and easy to defend.

So yeah, Newsflash of the year, running the ball effectively is good. Especially when you have a QB who excels at play action.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I think nearly all of us agree on that point. The difficulty lies in putting a good running game together given the challenges we face.

1. We're going to be paying the QB and WRs extremely high rates, which leaves less offensive spending for OL, RB and TE. One option here is to continue to be very unbalanced on spending with much more on the offense than the defense, and try to get what we can out of a bargain bin defense. Wagner's 20m could go a long way towards the running game.

2. It's not easy to install a new running scheme when you only get a few padded practices. Year two should see an improvement here, but we had terrible continuity all season and are potentially looking at a high amount of turnover with free agency. I would argue for retaining Brown on a 1 year deal along with Pocic for continuity reasons, then spending a high pick on a left guard and moving Lewis back to the right side.

3. RBs matter but it's hard to keep them healthy. Not to take anything away from Collins, Dallas and Homer but there was a huge boost to the running game when either Carson or Penny was healthy and getting a heavy workload. I'd like to bring Penny back if we can do so reasonably, draft another RB this year, and add a couple more cheap ones in FA/UDFA.

Boycie

Reaction score
John63":1hjfexma said:
seabowl":1hjfexma said:
It was apparent with Lynch, Carson (when healthy), and now Penney (when healthy) that Pete Carroll coached teams win or lose based on the running game. If Pete stays (which I have thought for some time he will) solidifying the run must be the first priority. What happened this year with no running game before a few weeks ago should be the most eye opening part for management in that in order for the team to comPete, they need a good running game. Wilson just can’t do it on his own anymore.

Its not the Key to winning we have won without it, It just makes it much easier, ask Rodgers, Mahomes, Manning and others. FYI we have won games this year and last without much of a running game.

example
all Playoff teams
KC top 10 scoring defense and top 15 yards in run gave avg over 4 ypc 100 yards per game
TB top 10 scoring defense and top 15 yards, run game avg over 4 ypc and 98 yards per game

This fallacy that Wilson is the only QB who needs a run game is just plain wrong. They all do, or at least the threat of it.

The run game makes it easier to pass, guess what the passing game makes it easier to run they help each other. Wilson knows this that's why he audibled to run several times. The thing Wilson has always wanted and was the key to the let Russ cook thing was tempo. In the last 2 games we played with tempo alot.

Are you seriously going to sit here and argue this? We had Lynch running the ball when we were a threat to go all the way, and we also had the best defence. I love Russ, but take the rose coloured glasses off will ya?

John63

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2i8onb4f said:
John63":2i8onb4f said:
seabowl":2i8onb4f said:

example
all Playoff teams

Are you seriously going to sit here and argue this? We had Lynch running the ball when we were a threat to go all the way, and we also had the best defence. I love Russ, but take the rose coloured glasses off will ya?
You might want to keep up we are beyond this. Fyi we were not a threat even with Lynch and that great defense until Wilson. Also fyi this was our first loosing season with Wilson. Most without that great defense and run game. So.maybe the glasses that should come off are yours.

Jville

Reaction score
John63":cb34nnlz said:
Ace_Rimmer":cb34nnlz said:
You might want to keep up we are beyond this. Fyi we were not a threat even with Lynch and that great defense until Wilson. Also fyi this was our first loosing season with Wilson. Most without that great defense and run game. So.maybe the glasses that should come off are yours.

So intolerant and jealous of anything and everything that might infringe upon a self instilled perception of Russell Wilson greatness.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":3vsn84r8 said:
Ace_Rimmer":3vsn84r8 said:
John63":3vsn84r8 said:
seabowl":3vsn84r8 said:

example
all Playoff teams

You'd do well not to criticize people for going back to previous points when your posts follow a template of the same few clichés repeated ad nauseam.

Also, Seattle played with tempo all season, and the time to snap stats prove it.

John63

Reaction score
Jville":2ryxvpoj said:
John63":2ryxvpoj said:
Ace_Rimmer":2ryxvpoj said:

So intolerant and jealous of anything and everything that might infringe upon a self instilled perception of Russell Wilson greatness.

So predictable you think this is about Wilson its not it's about the facts.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2m7iw7fz said:
John63":2m7iw7fz said:
Ace_Rimmer":2m7iw7fz said:
John63":2m7iw7fz said:

example
all Playoff teams

You'd do well not to criticize people for going back to previous points when your posts follow a template of the same few clichés repeated ad nauseam.

Also, Seattle played with tempo all season, and the time to snap stats prove it.

pot kettle much. Again link to time to snap and again since you keep forgetting I will repost the post that makes you wrong again.
"The fact still remains they went away from pre-snap motion, and that Ram's-like attack for most of the season, despite whatever names you'd like to call me. Then brought it back the final two weeks once eliminated from playoff contention.

This is how it went:

Week 1:
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-...e-of-pre-snap-motion-fly-sweeps-with-seahawks

https://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-s...ne-waldron-partnership-gets-off-to-fast-start

Among the new elements of Waldron's offense are an increased reliance on fast tempo, more pre-snap motion, how they use running backs in the passing game and using receivers in the run game with fly sweeps.

But by mid-year:

Eric Eager
@PFF_Eric
teams with the highest motion rate in the NFL in 2021:
#49ers #Jets #Falcons #Chiefs #Buccaneers

lowest
#Eagles #Giants #Cardinals #Seahawks #Steelers
6:27 AM · Nov 2, 2021·Twitter Web App
Retweets
Quote Tweets
The reason it doesn’t make sense is because the Seahawks have a new offensive coordinator in Shane Waldron who comes from a Rams system that has utilized pre-snap motion a great deal over the last few years under Sean McVay. And in the Seahawks’ first game of the year against the Colts, the offense used pre-snap motion a lot.

“The first game, you saw so much pre-snap motion, you saw so much creativity. I mean, it was amazing,” Heaps said. “… It was like man, this is a way different look, a way different feel to this offense. And that was one aspect of it that I was really excited about Shane Waldron (bringing to the Seahawks) offensively. We have not seen that happen enough.”

Heaps thinks that if the Seahawks “let Shane Waldron be himself” as a playcaller, then we will see them use pre-snap motion more going forward.
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1522...se-needs-to-get-back-to-doing-after-bye-week/

That last sentence summarizes it perfectly.

Having to actually have a debate about this is ridiculous. It is clear and obvious.

McVay Ball.

You're legit arguing against facts. This is not an opinion. The Seahawks used more motion in game 1. They went away from it. Late season they went back to it."

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":20y0r9pr said:
Maelstrom787":20y0r9pr said:
John63":20y0r9pr said:
Ace_Rimmer":20y0r9pr said:

pot kettle much. Again link to time to snap and again since you keep forgetting I will repost the post that makes you wrong again.

Sigh.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats ... stats/2021

6th quickest time to snap in the league this year.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1z3d55x1 said:
John63":1z3d55x1 said:
Maelstrom787":1z3d55x1 said:
John63":1z3d55x1 said:

Sigh.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats ... stats/2021

6th quickest time to snap in the league this year.

thank you though I can only see the top 5 since it's paid and I have no way of knowing how it is broken down. also thast hwo many seconds per play that has no barring on when they snap it.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/pace-stats/2021

"These stats are computed from NFL Drive Charts and Scoring Summaries. The concept of situation-neutral pace was introduced in Pro Football Prospectus 2005. The intent is to describe pace as dictated by each team's game plan or style of play, not pace that is situation-induced. The current definition discards plays when the score differential is greater than 10 points in the first half, plays when the score differential is greater than 8 points in the 3rd quarter, plays in the 4th quarter or overtime, and plays in the last five minutes of the first half.

The Time Stats table displays Time of Possession and Game Time breakdowns for each team."

so basically half the plays don't count these are not snap times they don't say how much of the play clock you are using at all. it shows long the play itself takes. Also, they have them for defense why would they have the same thing for defense if it is about a snap time when the defense does not control snap time. They do have a say in playtime as if they tackle quick the play is over quick. Sorry to say but this chart does not show what you think, but I do understand why you might have thought it did.

aspect 2 motion were they failed miserably till the last 2 games as I posted again.

what I posted bottom 5 in motion thanks for playing