The next coach

Ruminator

Reaction score
I'd like Pete to remain at the helm for as long as he's willing and able, but we all know that he can't coach forever. So once it's time to find a new coach, however many years down the road that may be, who would you like to interview (actual potentially available folks) if you were the team's owner? Me, I would be very tempted to give Mike Leach a call. That guy puts together a pretty exciting offense year after year.

Osprey

Reaction score
Vesuve":2v953pps said:
We're looking too far ahead.
By the time Pete retires the trend will be to hire High School offensive coordinators for the fresh take.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Vesuve":9elfqor3 said:
We're looking too far ahead.

Definitely. We have no idea who the hot candidates or trends will be. I would suspect the team goes the route of hiring an experienced head coach. Worked well with Holmgren and Carroll so I would expect that to continue.

xray

Reaction score
Carroll is under contract through 2021. He will be 70 years old then . As someone who is closing in fast to that age ; I can honestly say that " the older I GET ; the better I WAS " . As far as the next HC ; I would like to go with a more youthful approach . I think for the most part that players relate and respond more to a HC that is closer to their fathers age than their grandfathers age . I don't have a name in mind now ; because Carroll will be in Seattle for 2 more years . This is not a knock on Carroll by any means ; but time runs out for everybody .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Here's how it normally goes in the NFL..........if the organization is rolling, winning and things are on track to continue said winning, it's usually a coordinator of the HC so that the team can keep as much of the staff, trainers, etc in tact moving forward.

If the team's losing and the HC leaves? Then that's when all these other options are on the table for wholesale changes.

So as of now if Pete continues to win, then the likelihood is that it'll be Schotty or Norton as the next HC after 2021 if either of them are still around and haven't gotten HC jobs elsewhere.

kobebryant

Reaction score
If Pete goes out with the team in good shape: Canales or Sorensen

If things have gone poorly prior to him leaving: Lincoln Riley (probably unavailable at that point), Kellen Moore (probably unavailable at that point), Ryan Day, Seth Littrell

Rat

Reaction score
Probably some hot-shot coordinator that is on none of our radars.

Carroll seems exceptionally youthful, so despite his advanced age, retirement feels far off. Even still, it feels like we just hired him yesterday and he's somehow the third (I think) longest tenured coach in the league with one team (Belichick, Tomlin). A lot of turnover in the NFL.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
With Petes energy and passion, the next coach may not even be in HS yet. He has shown no signs of slowing down or losing his passion. Every year there are the hot hires going around the NFL rumor circles. Who knows who the hot names will be when he finally decides to hang them up.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is a general rule in life that things are rarely as good as you hope or as bad as you fear.

When Carroll leaves, we won't be able to replace him. He is one of the best coaches Seattle has ever had and one of the best in the NFL.

You don't replace that. Someone else will come in and for a while people, myself included, will freak out because he is not Pete Carroll. But we likely won't become a dumpster fire when he leaves either.

Regardless, Carroll drives me crazy with his ridiculously conservative bent sometimes. His being a defensive-minded coach sometimes (often) results in him not using Wilson and our offensive weapons as well as he could. But there is no doubt that Seattle will not see this kind of success repeated for a long time after he leaves...because generally, coaches do not keep winning like he has even through the rebuild.

So instead of worrying about that time, it might be a good time to really appreciate what we have now.

jmahon316

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2kpkkst8 said:
There is a general rule in life that things are rarely as good as you hope or as bad as you fear.

When Carroll leaves, we won't be able to replace him. He is one of the best coaches Seattle has ever had and one of the best in the NFL.

You don't replace that. Someone else will come in and for a while people, myself included, will freak out because he is not Pete Carroll. But we likely won't become a dumpster fire when he leaves either.

Regardless, Carroll drives me crazy with his ridiculously conservative bent sometimes. His being a defensive-minded coach sometimes (often) results in him not using Wilson and our offensive weapons as well as he could. But there is no doubt that Seattle will not see this kind of success repeated for a long time after he leaves...because generally, coaches do not keep winning like he has even through the rebuild.

So instead of worrying about that time, it might be a good time to really appreciate what we have now.

Bravo, truly. I wholeheartedly agree. You know the saying "I wish I knew I was living in the 'good old days' before I realized they were the 'good old days'? I think this is that moment for Seahawks fans.

Fade

Reaction score
Too soon, but I will humor the OP.

Schneider will be heavily involved with the hire. He will look to get someone that fits his vision/style. They will likely have/had ties to the coaches he has known throughout his stops. Predominantly Green Bay & Kansas City.

Kris Richard would have a shot, but will probably get a head coaching gig somewhere else before Pete retires.

A charity hire off of this current staff would be a mistake, none are head coaching material. But I had a lot of laughs when people where bringing up Bevell & Cable to be Pete's successor throughout the years. So I don't mind people bringing up Schottenheimer & Norton. :D

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":i2vtic23 said:

Schneider will be heavily involved with the hire. He will look to get someone that fits his vision/style. They will likely have/had ties to the coaches he has known throughout his stops. Predominantly Green Bay & Kansas City.

Kris Richard would have a shot, but will probably get a head coaching gig somewhere else before Pete retires.

A charity hire off of this current staff would be a mistake, none are head coaching material. But I had a lot of laughs when people where bringing up Bevell & Cable to be Pete's successor throughout the years. So I don't mind people bringing up Schottenheimer & Norton. :D

Oh I definitely don't think it'll be Schotty, but maybe Norton if the trajectory of the defense continues to point up and it becomes one of the dominant defenses in the NFL again.

But you're right, it'd probably be someone in the Carroll coaching tree.

McGruff

Reaction score
Fade":1h7zm7yn said:

I dont the feeling Norton wants to be a HC. Hes found his niche, and will probably just enjoy the ride.

Same goes for Hurtt.

Schottenheimer has the roots, and seems like HC material. Balanced, cerebral, strong sense of identity. Still young to grow and connect.

Richard definitely seems like HC material. Probably. Best suited to that role in fact.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":11ngylc5 said:

We are most definitely in the glory years of Seahawks football. Doing my best to enjoy each season each game and each play as they come.