The Hawks should trade for Martellus Bennett

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Basis4day":29obou53 said:
Cartire":29obou53 said:
Michael will be making more then Martellus. I dont think him holding out (which hes proven he wont miss money over, so I dont know why everyone is worried) would have anything to do with his brother making less then him. That would be a pretty f'd up holdout to have it have anything to do with your brothers pay, which is less then yours.

I'm talking 2016. I'm discounting the prorated signing bonus of Michael because players in contract disputes never seem to account for them when discussing how much they're making in a given year. I know this isn't rational, but holdouts don't have to be rational (As can be attested in the Kam situation).

In 2016 Michael is set to make 4 million in base and a 1 million dollar roster bonus. (5 million)
In 2016 Martellus is set to make 5.085 plus a 100,000 roster bonus. (5.185 million)

Michael is underpaid. I don't see how anyone can dispute that. The caveat is if you feel the FO has any obligation to renegotiate. The top pass rushers make more than the top TEs.

I'm just wary of bringing in more high priced players outside of the system when top players like Kam and Michael Bennett feel underpaid. It would be one thing at a position of need like Oline.

I wouldn't necessarily feel this way if Martellus played a position that naturally makes more money than a versatile pass rusher like his brother.

I doubt Martellus would be brought back in 2016. Now you can debate whether or not cutting Bennett's brother would affect his mood.. and that may very well be valid. But if we traded for Bennett, he would surely be cut or need to take a nice restructure to stick around

netskier

Reaction score
I love this idea too, if he is a very good or great inline blocker. This would allow Graham to escape his miscasting imprisonment as a tight end, and liberate him to dominate at wide receiver on potentially every down.

Deploying Jimmy out wide almost forces defenses to double him, else suffer dire consequences, thus leaving 9 defenders to handle 10 Seahawks, a power play mismatch that we should always win.

Brilliant idea, Fade.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
chrispy":3el8q9w7 said:
Martellus is too valuable with the loss of Brandon Marshall and now Alshon Jeffrey injured. Plus the fanbase would revolt. I don't understand how this thread assumes Martellus would be available because 2 other players were traded. If that is the case, and any Bear is on the block, I'd rather pick up whomever is starting at LT in Chicago.

Like how it wouldn't have been comprehensible for some people to assume that Jimmy Graham was available? That type of not understanding? It could happen. Not saying it will, but to paint it as utterly ridiculous is just needless posturing.

netskier

Reaction score
Imthe scientist, please read the original post, I.e., post one.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I like Bennett, but it seems a bit overkill at TE. Helfet actually had a good game blocking on Sunday, as I recall. If we are gonna make a trade, I'd far prefer an interior lineman.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
We should just move Bailey to RT and put Gilliam as Tackle eligible every play outside of Bailey. We dont need to pay M. Bennett to come in and block that way.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Maybe if the Saints lose a few more games we can snatch up Unger for pennies on the dollar. :D

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1igylfqa said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/uSTADIUM/status/648876972228087808[/tweet]

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'd go after Forte.

With the way Lynch has been looking, I'd bet money that Forte would love to end up in a place like this.

What's he worth, about a 3rd ?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawks46":xfipz6kh said:
hawknation2015":xfipz6kh said:

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'd go after Forte.

With the way Lynch has been looking, I'd bet money that Forte would love to end up in a place like this.

What's he worth, about a 3rd ?

Forte's base salary is 7.05 Million. If you traded for him this week that's a little over 5.5 million on the year. That's pretty steep.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think we did try to get Martellus in the off season. This was one of the rumored reasons Michael was pissed, cause that deal fell through.

But Graham's here now, so this ain't happening.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
The Bears need someone on offense, I doubt Bennett is as readily available as all this.

Given Graham's contract even though his salary is reasonable, that's a lot to tie up in the TE spot for a guy who's going to be doing s lot of blocking.

massari

Reaction score
hawknation2015":oy2f8xf3 said:

What would it take to get Jeffery? Something like a 1st+2nd+5th+12M per year?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
massari":2vuxvlpp said:
hawknation2015":2vuxvlpp said:

What would it take to get Jeffery? Something like a 1st+2nd+5th+12M per year?

1st and 3rd like Harvin. I wouldn't do it You have Graham already. The Hawks need an inline TE ASAP. They can go get one with a 4th rounder whether it be Martellus, or someone else.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2ke9ef5x said:
The Bears need someone on offense, I doubt Bennett is as readily available as all this.

Given Graham's contract even though his salary is reasonable, that's a lot to tie up in the TE spot for a guy who's going to be doing s lot of blocking.

The Hawks were willing to pay Zach Miller way more than what Martellus is making, the Hawks value that position. Jimmy Graham isn't fit for the role.The Seahawks can afford it.

Hybrid WR/TE Jimmy Graham $10M (Actually $9M with the Hawks because NO picked up the dead money.)
WR 2 Doug Baldwin $4.3M APY
TE Martelus Bennett $5.2M (after trade)
------------------------------------------------
= $18.5M

VS

WR 1 Jordy Nelson $9.76 APY
WR 2 Randall Cobb $10M APY
------------------------------------
= $19.76M

So the Packers can afford it, but the Seahawks can't.

pre emptive rebuttal - The Packers pay more at O-Line, while the Hawks gave their O-Line money to Lynch.

The Seahawks can afford it.

LolaRox

Reaction score
JS should definitely call to find out if Kyle Long is available , in fact I hope he has already done so. Nobody ever expected Jimmy to be available, but he was.

Wonder if Zach Miller is healthy yet ...

Latest posts