The Hawks should trade for Martellus Bennett

themunn

Reaction score
Yeah I'd be pleased to see it.
Happily give away our 1st next year for Bennett and a 3rd (which would be more like a low 2nd). It's not like we use our 1st round picks anyway.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The Bears would be foolish to trade Bennett. He's a bargain now and he's worth extending next year provided he stays healthy and productive.

Won't happen.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Why would we want Martellus Bennett? Luke Willson has amazing hair.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
themunn":34679zkc said:
Happily give away our 1st next year for Bennett and a 3rd (which would be more like a low 2nd). It's not like we use our 1st round picks anyway.

Nope.

Our 2016 1st could very well be worth more than it has in the previous two. I think our trend of giving away high picks for proven vets with big contracts is going to have to change. Unless a guy like Lynch retires.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Absolutely love this idea. Bennett is a top notch TE. Combined with Graham, it could be an absolutely lethal passing game.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I wouldnt be totally opposed to it, but first I would need to be convinced that Graham can be a successful target in a Bevell offense. If so, id pull the trigger before the trade deadline

themunn

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":19ywsq4h said:
themunn":19ywsq4h said:

Nope.

Our 2016 1st could very well be worth more than it has in the previous two. I think our trend of giving away high picks for proven vets with big contracts is going to have to change. Unless a guy like Lynch retires.

I expect we'd be more likely to trade down into the 2nd in any case.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Fade":3hf57mhg said:
Basis4day":3hf57mhg said:
It's an interesting idea. But if he's free to move I think another team might jump on it and negate salary benefits of waiting until the season is half over. It's no secret that Michael Bennett wants a new deal. I don't know if the FO can really bring in his brother to make a similar salary in 2016.

This makes no sense. Mike B will threaten a hold out because his brother is on the team making $5M? If Mike B holds out it will have nothing to do with his brother, but his own situation.

Michael Bennett is unhappy with his contract and will remain unhappy with his contract . saying you can't or won't give him more money, then bringing in a FA that makes more ( even slightly) at a position valued less is taken as a shot by players.
And the person you bring in is his brother? Ouch.

chrispy

Reaction score
Martellus is too valuable with the loss of Brandon Marshall and now Alshon Jeffrey injured. Plus the fanbase would revolt. I don't understand how this thread assumes Martellus would be available because 2 other players were traded. If that is the case, and any Bear is on the block, I'd rather pick up whomever is starting at LT in Chicago.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Giving Luke Willson's snaps to another player who has no knowledge of the Seahawk's offense is not a good idea, imo. Willson needs more snaps to develop and has more value over time than Bennett.

Cartire

Reaction score
Basis4day":skupbo8w said:
Fade":skupbo8w said:
Basis4day":skupbo8w said:
It's an interesting idea. But if he's free to move I think another team might jump on it and negate salary benefits of waiting until the season is half over. It's no secret that Michael Bennett wants a new deal. I don't know if the FO can really bring in his brother to make a similar salary in 2016.

This makes no sense. Mike B will threaten a hold out because his brother is on the team making $5M? If Mike B holds out it will have nothing to do with his brother, but his own situation.

Michael Bennett is unhappy with his contract and will remain unhappy with his contract . saying you can't or won't give him more money, then bringing in a FA that makes more ( even slightly) at a position valued less is taken as a shot by players.
And the person you bring in is his brother? Ouch.

Michael will be making more then Martellus. I dont think him holding out (which hes proven he wont miss money over, so I dont know why everyone is worried) would have anything to do with his brother making less then him. That would be a pretty f'd up holdout to have it have anything to do with your brothers pay, which is less then yours.

seahawks08

Reaction score
If we didn't have Jimmy Graham, it makes sense. Why do we need another star when our goal is to run and grind. I am happy with who we have, we just need to execute, or call plays that are high percentage calls.

mikeak

Reaction score
Fade":e1e76c9w said:
Rocket":e1e76c9w said:
Who would we cut?
Which teammate's salary would have to be reduced?
Do we have cap? If so it's probably pocket change.

Seattle has $5M in cap right now acquiring Martellus near mid-season would leave Seattle w/approx $2.5M in available space.

To make room for Martellus just cut any bottom feeder on the roster. Take your pick. I will go with B.J. Daniels.

That money is needed to be rolled over to next year to continue paying the high paying contracts and to pay for the new Contract that Kam will most likely get.

We have enough money spent on WRs / TEs especially when considering how this team makes it living

kobebryant

Reaction score
Is Martellus even being made available?

It looks like the guys that they are trading away are defensive players from the past regime that don't fit their 3-4 defense.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Cartire":frqkrtk4 said:
Michael will be making more then Martellus. I dont think him holding out (which hes proven he wont miss money over, so I dont know why everyone is worried) would have anything to do with his brother making less then him. That would be a pretty f'd up holdout to have it have anything to do with your brothers pay, which is less then yours.

I'm talking 2016. I'm discounting the prorated signing bonus of Michael because players in contract disputes never seem to account for them when discussing how much they're making in a given year. I know this isn't rational, but holdouts don't have to be rational (As can be attested in the Kam situation).

In 2016 Michael is set to make 4 million in base and a 1 million dollar roster bonus. (5 million)
In 2016 Martellus is set to make 5.085 plus a 100,000 roster bonus. (5.185 million)

Michael is underpaid. I don't see how anyone can dispute that. The caveat is if you feel the FO has any obligation to renegotiate. The top pass rushers make more than the top TEs.

I'm just wary of bringing in more high priced players outside of the system when top players like Kam and Michael Bennett feel underpaid. It would be one thing at a position of need like Oline.

I wouldn't necessarily feel this way if Martellus played a position that naturally makes more money than a versatile pass rusher like his brother.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kobebryant":1om5g0wg said:
Is Martellus even being made available?

It looks like the guys that they are trading away are defensive players from the past regime that don't fit their 3-4 defense.

It's being assumed that all players on the Bears are available. But they have freed up a ton of cap space for 2016 as it is so it might not be necessary. Going into next year, the players under contract account for 92ish Million.

massari

Reaction score
chrispy":z9h8ugay said:
Martellus is too valuable with the loss of Brandon Marshall and now Alshon Jeffrey injured. Plus the fanbase would revolt. I don't understand how this thread assumes Martellus would be available because 2 other players were traded. If that is the case, and any Bear is on the block, I'd rather pick up whomever is starting at LT in Chicago.

Revolt from trading Martellus Bennett? :lol:

Bennett is a free agent after next season and the Bears won't be contending anytime soon. Getting a draft pick(s) for him would seem like a good idea for them.

Also, like some of the other posters said OL talent is hard to get and it would take a ton to get Kyle Long and Grasu. Thery're still really young and aren't going anywhere. Their LT is 31 years old making a ton of money and from what I've read is no better than Okung.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Whether it's Bennett, or someone else the Hawks need to aquire an inline TE before rhe deadline. Martellus could be available with only 1 more year on his contract and the Bears in full rebuild mode.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
chrispy":3nfegbdi said:
So by keeping Marellus Bennett the Bears go 3-13 instead of 2-14, and miss out on the number 1 pick. Then Martellus walks via free agency a year later. Good Idea.