The fishy thing I don't get about "The Play"

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Even if we had run it before, it is a little odd that they were so keyed on it in that specific moment. I'll give them their due, but would I be surprised if it came out later that something was "tapped"? Not really. Dungy just said this week that he held meetings in hallways when playing at New England because former Patriots told Peyton that they bugged the locker rooms. There was also a story out a while ago where multiple teams accused them of tapping the in-game communications equipment.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Me -> 10 foot pole <- this topic

No touch. Enjoy, folks.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2ew2g4vw said:
DavidSeven":2ew2g4vw said:
You gotta go back to 2013 to see an apples-to-apples version of the play:

Tate 2-yard TD @ St. Louis

Miller 2-yard TD vs. New Orleans

But yeah, pretty unstoppable if the pick receiver gets off the line and the ball is placed right.

If you look at both of those plays, you'll see the ball thrown into the receiver's body; not out front of the receiver.

On 'The Play' the throw was in front of the receiver not into his body where it was fairly safe from an interception; either Lockette wasn't aggressive enough to the spot, or RW was off target. Either way, the fault is in the execution of he play...which is what I've been saying for 6 months! LOL!

IIRC: Britt said we used that play against AZ and it was successful.

I agree, in fact doesn't matter what play you call, if it's not executed correctly from start to end, something bad is likely to happen and that play was executed badly right out of the huddle.

two dog

Reaction score
Don't you find it completely plausible that the following may have occured ?
The kid lucked into the play of his life and Belichick jumped out in front of
that parade with "Oh, I'm so smart, sometimes it scares even me".

That seems to me to be perfectly in character, or lack thereof, for Bill
the big brain.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'm guessing the answer is "D" all of the above!

Browner knows and has practiced against the play so he knows how to beat it.
Our OC is easily predicted, manipulated, and often out smarted.
The Pats are known cheaters. I wouldn't be surprised that they filmed and studied out walk throughs, bugged out locker rooms, stole our signals, and listed in on our coms. After all they have done it all before.
If Belicheat hears The Bevil say that we are going to run this play if we see them in this formation/ personell group in this down/distance then you know he is going to use that info accordingly

ctrcat

Reaction score
After Super Bowl XXXVIII the Panthers said it was like the cheaters were literally "in the huddle" snuffing out plays that hadn't been run all year. And this was four years before spygate. It's what they do. Cheat. Period.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
2Cool4School":3s8chxad said:
They probably just saw it on film but wouldnt be surprised if some cheating ass sh@$# happened. Patriots are known cheaters

You wonder if they really did know the play called by the defensive reaction.

My recollection is the team hadn't used that play on the goal line before last season or perhaps just once, so Bellichek is full of it.

In good time we may find out the Patriots cheated and were intercepting the signalled play calls by 'listening in' then knowing what the play called would be.

This situation if examined closely does seem somewhat suspicious given the Patriots past history.

themunn

Reaction score
2Cool4School":2r2r65id said:
Either this ^ or malcolm butler is really underrated. idk if you saw him play against green bay but he shut down randall cobb.

Every time someone mentions Kearse's drop in the superbowl I sigh - that was just as good a play from Butler to break up the pass as the interception was at the end.

He was definitely the MVP of the game, if he fails to make either of those plays we'd have won the game.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tical21":313fdxxl said:
In a desperation, goal-line pass play, the defenders have to sell out against the quick routes. If the guy you are covering runs an out, you jump it. If the guy you are covering sits down across the goal line, you jump it. There is no time to wait, you just go. If the guy you are covering runs a slant, you have to jump it. This is what I thought Butler's thought process was when he made the play. I thought he saw something quick coming, thought "Oh, burrito!", and jumped it out of desperation and made the pay of a lifetime.

Then it comes out shortly that the Patriots had been prepared for this play. Belichick knew and prepared his team for it. They had seen the formation before and it triggered their diagnosis of the play.

That's what I don't get. We seemingly run pick plays less often than anyone. Furthermore, I don't remember any examples of us running them at the goal line. So how did they know it was coming? Everybody in the world thought it was going to be a run, yet they're claiming they were anticipating the pick play.

The day before a game, teams do a walk through without pads. They always cover situational football, like 2-minute, 3rd down packages, and goal line. I'm certain that we had practiced and prepared to run this play in a crucial situation. We probably practiced it several times to make sure we ran it well. Did we possibly install this play in our goal line package in the two weeks leading up to this game? From this formation? And the Pats have been caught spying on walk-throughs before. And, oh yeah, it was during Super Bowl week.

We almost never run pick routes. (Am I wrong about this? Does anyone know?)

How did they know it was coming?

I'm sorry to bring this up now, it's just been eating away at me for months. How did they know it was coming?

While I am not a conspiracy theorist normally, given everything surrounding the Pats over the least few years I got to say, and it does pain me, I agree it would not surprise me at all if there were some less than honorable things that went on there.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1t6ov75m said:
MontanaHawk05":1t6ov75m said:
The Patriots themselves said that they've seen it on the Hawks tape. We run that play from the goalline all the time, a problem perfectly consistent with most people's gripes about Bevell.
Without turning this into another bashing the OC thread, I Think the key player in the play was former Hawk Brandon Brower. He saw the formation knew the play and positioned the cornerback that made the play to be in the exact spot. If Brower isn't a patriot on that day, it's probably an incomplete pass at worst.

This.

This play was blown up from the start, and it was poorly designed against the personnel in the Patriots secondary.

If you get a chance to look at the play, pause it right at the snap. Wilson is barely getting the ball, and you'll notice that Browner actually has his left foot at or across the line of scrimmage, with his left hand jamming Kearse and watching Wilson. Kearse never gets any forward momentum. You can see him stood up with his feet in front of his shoulders immediately.

Then you have Lockette running that route. Lockette is faster than quick, and he's big at 6'2" so I'm getting why they did it, but it wasn't a good call IMO. I've heard people say Baldwin should've ran that route, but Baldwin was on the other side, pulling Revis away from the play.

I honestly don't know why, with the game on the line, if you run that play you don't have Matthews on the field. This, IMO, is the biggest mistake here that Bevell made. Line up Mathews and you have to have Browner or Revis on him. Matthews had been killing the Patriots all game. If Kearse ran a pick play against anyone but Browner, I can see the space needed for Lockette to get that ball. Also, having Matthews on the field causes a lot more doubt. Are they doing to throw it up again to him ? Is it a run ? The pick play becomes a third option that you worry about. It's like, once they Pats knew it wasn't a run, this was what came up and they knew it. Too predictable, especially with the personnel package in there.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3mq44ez8 said:
Butler had said when they practice it, he had failed every single time, because it was a undefendable play, not my words but the words they used. Even Ricardo Lockette had stated that they ran it alot and that they were successful with it.

I had stated that it was because of Browner's hold (should of been flagged) that was able to get Kearse off course just enough for Malcom to go through.

Brownerkearse

Within 5 yards.. you can do whatever to a WR basically. Browner did nothing wrong. Actually he did everything right to blow up the pick and give Butler a free shot at the slant.

kearly

Reaction score
Just wanted to give DavidSeven props for some insane recall.

As far as the call itself, I'm not going the rehash the half dozen reasons why it was a terrible idea. I will say, In Bevell's defense, that Lockette was awful on that play.

The bitter irony is, our most physical blocker at WR is Lockette, and our best "tough catch" WR is Kearse. If only they had switched jobs...

Subzero717

Reaction score
We ran the same play a few times during the regular season. Specifically off the top of my head against Denver. Only Z Miller was Kearse and Marshawn was Lockette. Score. That same game Marshawn couldn't score from the goal line.

The Pats watch film.

mikeak

Reaction score
Also remember that if the Patriots players thought "I wonder what play Seahawks will run here" then the next thought was - first delete all running plays since the backfield is empty

@!%#%@*&^%#(*&^@(&#

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1rzsvq1e said:
Butler had said when they practice it, he had failed every single time, because it was a undefendable play, not my words but the words they used. Even Ricardo Lockette had stated that they ran it alot and that they were successful with it.

I had stated that it was because of Browner's hold (should of been flagged) that was able to get Kearse off course just enough for Malcom to go through.

Brownerkearse

I like how is he literally grabbing a jersey in about half of those

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
themunn":19lr2jvj said:
2Cool4School":19lr2jvj said:
Either this ^ or malcolm butler is really underrated. idk if you saw him play against green bay but he shut down randall cobb.

Every time someone mentions Kearse's drop in the superbowl I sigh - that was just as good a play from Butler to break up the pass as the interception was at the end.

He was definitely the MVP of the game, if he fails to make either of those plays we'd have won the game.

Is that the play he blatantly triped Kearse?

AVL

Reaction score
The thing that drives me crazy is that both of our injuries happened during Brady's interceptions, taken the air out of glorious plays. How the hell they do that?