The draft prospect we should keep a closer eye on at #26

Smellyman

Reaction score
MysterMatt":262krbfb said:
Interesting player, but I fell asleep watching his film. He made a few plays but hardly seemed a difference maker. He did manage some good QB hurries as well. I didn't really see a 1st rounder.

Sent from my iPhone, which is way better than Roland's Nokia.

That was the vaunted LA Tech line though.

He appears a huge reach for the first.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1cyuoie0 said:
Hill's 4.51 short shuttle is very good for 300lbs -- and his 3.09 is only 0.09 off Jonathan Bullard. I think it's very harsh to call him an average athlete. Not sure either why we would question the improvement on his combine numbers at his pro day. Didn't Vernon Butler just do exactly the same thing (average combine, much better pro day)?

I don't think the Seahawks will ever take an average athlete as early as round three again, certainly not after what happened to Moffitt.

Butler had a smaller pro-day jump in results than Hill did. And Butler did it while being 21 pounds heavier. If Butler was also 303 pounds I would concede this point and admit that both are average athletes.

I actually liked Hill a lot circa January 2013 and wrote some glowing articles on him. Then his combine happened which left me feeling disillusioned. Butler is actually a bit similar in that I was pretty high on him in February only to be let down by his combine. The difference is that Butler had a very good pro-day for a person of his size, which made me feel less insane for thinking he was a special athlete on tape.

Another key difference are Butler's 35 inch arms and exceptional upper body strength.

If I am the GM of the Seattle Seahawks I'm NOT drafting Vernon Butler at #26. That said, if you put a gun to my head and forced me to draft a DT there, I'd probably go for Butler on account of his upside.

My preferences are meaningless though, all that really matters is what JS thinks. Based on the evidence I would theorize that JS is going to have both Bullard and Butler really high on his board.

Rankins is a decent player and intellectually I can't discount him, but my instincts tell me Seattle isn't as interested as the fans are. I get high floor / low-ceiling vibes from Rankins, almost like a Tim Ruskell 1st rounder. Which isn't to say that he sucks, but it feels like a different direction for PC/JS who tend to worship untapped potential and love going off the grid early. Just my gut feel on that.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":29rozlkh said:
Way too early to give up on KPL and Hill. Not every guy is Russell Wilson or Bobby Wagner where you just plug them in and they blow up. Even Michael Bennett took a few years to get going. Marshawn Lynch was pretty average in Buffalo. Some guys just need a few years to get acclimated to the speed and training of professional sports.

I agree we need some depth at DL, but our OL depth is so much more depleted. That's why I am praying we go OT at 26 and address our DL depth sometime in Rounds 2-3

There's just something about the way that KPL plays that makes him seem like an incurable wuss. He plays LB and has the physical presence of Kelly Jennings. I've already moved on from him.

Hill on the other hand has shown major improvement as a run stopper, enough that he is a viable backup for both the 1-tech and 3-tech spots. I don't mind keeping him around for as long as he's cheap.

titan3131":29rozlkh said:
They will be looking at a right tackle only at 26.

There is no guard that is good enough to be a first rounder, cable has made it known he wants a huge hulk at right tackle hence J Webb the interest in Ifedi.

Really interested in what's gonna happen.

Its rankins/butler or ifedi maybe Coleman at 26. Anything else won't make sense.

Seattle has said on multiple occasions that they are looking to draft a pass rusher this year. The problem is, there aren't very many viable pass rushers in this draft and they will all likely be off the board by the early 2nd round. If Seattle doesn't take a pass rusher with their first pick, they'll probably have to settle for the latest version of Obum Gwachum or Ty Powell on day three instead.

In other words, Seattle is essentially forced to draft a pass rusher with their first pick if they want to get a decent one. That's why I'm fairly certain they will go DL with their first pick this year. This is not what I would do as GM but my opinions on what is best are meaningless.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/719612545179459585[/tweet]

titan3131

Reaction score
If we draft butler and keep getting long armed freaks for defense we can call them the lob and the freaks.

Latest posts