The 49ers won the division last year, therefore...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":js8bd1dy said:
Stop trying to use that "old man" logic on me it's no fun and wrong most the time anyway.:)

Aww, give the old guy a break. Do you know how many fingers you have to count to reach his age? 103. He does pretty well for being a centenarian. :D

Shaz

Reaction score
I don't see the Niners finishing worse than 2nd, they are too good, too well coached and too deep to be overtaken by the Rams or Cards

They can most definitely lose the division to the Seahawks if they aren't careful (Which I see happening)

1. Seahawks 13-3
2. 49ers 12-4
3. Rams 9-7
4.Cardinals 6-10

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I also project the Seahawks will have a 13- 3 season with their only regular season potential losses @ Texas, @ St Louis, and @ Giants. I believe those losses will be close in scoring and maybe could go either way.

I think the superb owl....... LOSERS......., the Fartywhiners to go MAYBE 10-6
...and the Lambs go MAYBE 11-5. (if they're lucky)

HereToRead

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":yzf8mmrz said:
I also project the Seahawks will have a 13- 3 season with their only regular season potential losses @ Texas, @ St Louis, and @ Giants. I believe those losses will be close in scoring and maybe could go either way.

I think the superb owl....... LOSERS......., the Fartywhiners to go MAYBE 10-6
...and the Lambs go MAYBE 11-5. (if they're lucky)

The games @Atlanta and @SF aren't potential losses? road games are tough

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":2j0tqvzo said:
heyu123":2j0tqvzo said:
You may have a point if "42-13" wasnt thrown around everyday here as justification why Seattle > SF.

It's hard to look at 42-13 and not think "oh shit" if you are a 49ers fan though. Granted, the real score of that game probably would have been 31-6 if you take away the bogus TD at the end and Seattle's unsustainable 3rd down conversion rate. Either way, if you watched the game, the dominance was reflected in the score. It was a breakthrough moment in the division.

Seattle won the division in 2010 but got reamed by the 49ers in December, 40-21. Those teams split the season series, but I think that December blowout sent a signal that the 49ers were on the rise. The next season, the 49ers went 13-3 and basically had the division won by mid-season. A lot of the signs of that 13-3 season were on display in that 40-21 ass kicking that, at the time, seemed to come completely out of nowhere.

The Seahawks showed that they were on another level in that 42-13 game. The only reason I could see the 49ers winning the division is because of the 14 other games. Seattle seems to have had an awful lot of trouble putting away mediocre teams on the road at 10am, a problem Jim Harbaugh hasn't had in SF.

That seems to be a popular theory...but it really doesn't work that way.

In 2010 the Bucs came to Candlestick and destroyed the 49ers 21-0. It was ugly.

The very next year the Bucs came back and LOST 48-3.

No...the Bucs aren't the Seahawks. My point is that things change in a hurry. Moreover, you really can't read anything into one win. There are so many small plays in any game that can radically change the outcome. What if Cam doesn't dislodge the ball from Vernon and he doesn't slam his head into the turf? Niners then have 1st and goal inside the 5 and maybe Vernon scores. Who knows. Akers doesn't try a field goal, it doesn't get blocked and Sherman doesn't return it for a TD. The score is 14-7 Seattle instead of 21-0 Seattle. HUGE difference. Vernon also doesn't sit out the rest of the game. Thats changes the way both teams are playing and is a large influence on the way the rest of the game is played.

We can also go into injuries and such (both teams BTW...Justin Smith for SF and Browner for Seattle), but that really isn't my point.

My point is that blowout wins like that are seldom because one team is just drastically better than the other. They are usually about something happening at a key point in the game that simply blows open the score. The outcome of every play affects the play that comes after.

I'm not trying to take anything away from that Seattle win. It was impressive and it was a thorough beatdown.

I'd just warn against reading too much out of any blowout win....unless we are talking about the Bills in which its pretty clear the only statement that can be read is that the Bills really suck on D. Thats not an insult to Seattle BTW because the 49ers last year were the first team in NFL history to both rush and pass for 300 yards in the SAME GAME....and they did it against the Bills....with Alex Smith at QB.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pmedic920":1k6twi05 said:
My rose colored crystal ball has a few cloudy spots, but I see the 9ers finishing 3rd in the division. Right between the Rams and Cards.

I just don't understand this one. LOL.

I get why you would put Seattle ahead of SF. I disagree of course but I can see that one....but the Rams!?!

They had exactly 2 guys who scared me and they are both gone (Jackson and Amendola). Bradford is Alex Smith and that team doesn't have the 49ers run game to compensate. Do you really think a 5'9" 170lb stot reciever is good enough to add 4 or 5 more wins?

Not buyin' that one.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":s6zgpmjw said:
heyu123":s6zgpmjw said:
kearly":s6zgpmjw said:
Yes in that game it was a dominant performance. However it was still only a one game sample size. Any team in the NFL is capable of a down week. That's not to minimize what Seattle did or make an excuse, but I would caution anyone who reads too much into that singular moment.

Seattle at the end of last year may very well have been better than the niners. And they very well may be in 2014 as well. But that game doesn't prove anything. You have to examine and look at much more, including games vs other teams as you note in your post.
Many Niner fans think Seahawk fans hold onto that game because it was our SB, because we haven't won anything, etc. We treasure that game for a ton of reasons that are not that one. It was when Pete got the Harby monkey off his back. It was after that game that Seattle essentially kicked the NFL door in and announced their presence. (seriously, it was after that game that Seattle started to get really noticed by national media. The ass kickings handed out to the Cardinals and Bills were quite properly dismissed in NFL circles, those coaches were dead men walking. Not San Fran.) It was that game Where Russell Wilson began to be taken seriously. During that game our defense passed San Fran's as most stingy in the league, a title that would not be relinqushed. A regualr season game may not mean everthing, but it can signal a moment when change occurs.

Niner fans mock us for holding onto that game. I understand why. A regular season game is not a championship, and we have acted the ass over a regular season game. But here in Seattle, that game has come to symbolize, right or wrong, the moment when the Hawks became a team to be feared by all and maybe even a passing of the guard in the NFC West. The hottest ticket in the NFL this year is the Niners at the Hawks. It has been declared the must see game/brawl of the year. ESPN does not run a story about Wilson or Kaepernick without including a story about the other right afterward. Our rivalry has replaced the Steelers/Ravens for now as the hottest in the NFL. It has more storylines than any other. 42-13 is dumb, but it does mean one thing that is true: The entire Niner organization, and the fans, have to take Seattle seriously.

We may hate that this has become so stupid that 5 rings is answered with 42-13, but the simple fact is that the feeling of rivalry is good for business, so the NFL and both teams stir it up. I go a couple of Niner sites for news, and they don't report every transaction of the Cards and Rams, but they report a hangnail if a Seattle player gets one. The same goes for our sites with Niner players. I for one think this is beautiful, sports hate, as long as it is kept in it's proper place, is damn good fun.

Pretty much agree with all of that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
60niners":n4abkyn5 said:
Scottemojo":n4abkyn5 said:
Many Niner fans think Seahawk fans hold onto that game because it was our SB, because we haven't won anything, etc. We treasure that game for a ton of reasons that are not that one. It was when Pete got the Harby monkey off his back. It was after that game that Seattle essentially kicked the NFL door in and announced their presence. (seriously, it was after that game that Seattle started to get really noticed by national media. The ass kickings handed out to the Cardinals and Bills were quite properly dismissed in NFL circles, those coaches were dead men walking. Not San Fran.) It was that game Where Russell Wilson began to be taken seriously. During that game our defense passed San Fran's as most stingy in the league, a title that would not be relinqushed. A regualr season game may not mean everthing, but it can signal a moment when change occurs.

Niner fans mock us for holding onto that game. I understand why. A regular season game is not a championship, and we have acted the ass over a regular season game. But here in Seattle, that game has come to symbolize, right or wrong, the moment when the Hawks became a team to be feared by all and maybe even a passing of the guard in the NFC West. The hottest ticket in the NFL this year is the Niners at the Hawks. It has been declared the must see game/brawl of the year. ESPN does not run a story about Wilson or Kaepernick without including a story about the other right afterward. Our rivalry has replaced the Steelers/Ravens for now as the hottest in the NFL. It has more storylines than any other. 42-13 is dumb, but it does mean one thing that is true: The entire Niner organization, and the fans, have to take Seattle seriously.

We may hate that this has become so stupid that 5 rings is answered with 42-13, but the simple fact is that the feeling of rivalry is good for business, so the NFL and both teams stir it up. I go a couple of Niner sites for news, and they don't report every transaction of the Cards and Rams, but they report a hangnail if a Seattle player gets one. The same goes for our sites with Niner players. I for one think this is beautiful, sports hate, as long as it is kept in it's proper place, is damn good fun.
Now this I can respect. The ones screaming 42-13 at the top of their lungs while plugging their ears are just acting childish. This response has substance.
Agreed.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Marvin49":39hp94cw said:
pmedic920":39hp94cw said:
My rose colored crystal ball has a few cloudy spots, but I see the 9ers finishing 3rd in the division. Right between the Rams and Cards.

I get why you would put Seattle ahead of SF. I disagree of course but I can see that one....but the Rams!?!

They had exactly 2 guys who scared me and they are both gone (Jackson and Amendola). Bradford is Alex Smith and that team doesn't have the 49ers run game to compensate. Do you really think a 5'9" 170lb stot reciever is good enough to add 4 or 5 more wins?

Not buyin' that one.
my reasoning is simple. I think the rams are going to be a couple of wins better than most give them credit for and I think the 9ers will have some problems that are unforeseen, this will cause them to loose a couple, that on paper they shouldn't. I told you my crystal ball was rose colored and had cloudy spots. This is just how I think the division will end up. This is a very tight division IMHO and 1 or 2 wins/losses either way could change things a great deal for any of the teams.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin49":11smvapn said:
pmedic920":11smvapn said:

Not buyin' that one.

Well they did alot more than just draft Austin. They shored up their O-line and added a threat at TE. They are also a year more experienced and will likely be coming into this season with a chip on their shoulder and a damn good coach who made great strides in year one. Can he do something similar in year two?

Consider you were a ticky tacky delay of game penalty from being swept by them last year and that penalty came in your house in a game Amendola didn't even play in. No call on the penalty, or Amendola plays and you guys are swept last year and end up the 5 seed while we move up to the 2 seed.

It's as big a question mark if Justin Smith can stay healthy as it is Austin will have an impact. Gore losing some production or getting injured wouldn't surprise anyone any more than Cook having a probowl season. Bradford finally having the same OC and some actual play makers is as likely to surprise as Kaepernick struggling do to lack of targets and teams learning to contain him. You could make these match ups across the board. One thing is for sure, the Rams play makers are young and likely getting better while your biggest impact players are expected to see a drop off. If it's not now, it is pretty likely it will be soon. I believe it will happen this year and you will be in the Rams rear view mirror for years to come.

You don't have to like it but there are solid reasons for these opinions.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
kearly":17cd1lns said:
heyu123":17cd1lns said:
You may have a point if "42-13" wasnt thrown around everyday here as justification why Seattle > SF.

It's hard to look at 42-13 and not think "oh shit" if you are a 49ers fan though. Granted, the real score of that game probably would have been 31-6 if you take away the bogus TD at the end and Seattle's unsustainable 3rd down conversion rate. Either way, if you watched the game, the dominance was reflected in the score. It was a breakthrough moment in the division.

Seattle won the division in 2010 but got reamed by the 49ers in December, 40-21. Those teams split the season series, but I think that December blowout sent a signal that the 49ers were on the rise. The next season, the 49ers went 13-3 and basically had the division won by mid-season. A lot of the signs of that 13-3 season were on display in that 40-21 ass kicking that, at the time, seemed to come completely out of nowhere.

The Seahawks showed that they were on another level in that 42-13 game. The only reason I could see the 49ers winning the division is because of the 14 other games. Seattle seems to have had an awful lot of trouble putting away mediocre teams on the road at 10am, a problem Jim Harbaugh hasn't had in SF.

I think that you guys are the only ones who believe this, seriously. Every Niner fan I have come across now laughs whenever this game is brought up for the reasons that were brought up in this thread. Nothing from last year matters anymore. If it did, then I guess it will be another Ravens vs Niners Super Bowl.

13thMan

Reaction score
NinerLifer":1rb8ksoq said:
kearly":1rb8ksoq said:
heyu123":1rb8ksoq said:

I think that you guys are the only ones who believe this, seriously. Every Niner fan I have come across now laughs whenever this game is brought up for the reasons that were brought up in this thread. Nothing from last year matters anymore. If it did, then I guess it will be another Ravens vs Niners Super Bowl.

For what it's worth, I was over this game by the following weekend... Sure, it felt good to dominate that game, but anything I can do in order not to incite the Niners 5 Lombardies to Seahawks None conversation... lol... Besides, it's not like that W propelled us to the Super Bowl... Oh well, a new season is upon us and here's to an injury free run to the playoffs... see you guys there....

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":mnhiwu80 said:
pmedic920":mnhiwu80 said:

Not buyin' that one.

Well, if he is Alex Smith, he too can pull a good season out of his ass eventually.

Young2Rice

Reaction score
heyu123":3bh22a9w said:

Great post.

Young2Rice

Reaction score
rideaducati":24t18eu0 said:
Marvin49":24t18eu0 said:
pmedic920":24t18eu0 said:

Not buyin' that one.

Well, if he is Alex Smith, he too can pull a good season out of his ass eventually.

He views them as the same except Rams don't have the running game to take pressure off Bradford. Nor do they have the defense either of our teams do.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NinerLifer":1tsnhe1j said:
kearly":1tsnhe1j said:
heyu123":1tsnhe1j said:

Stop using logic you silly man. By the way Alex looked solid nice tonight. I am almost tempted to think KC may worry Denver this season. Alex is exactly what the current Chiefs need, seriously.