Tharold Simon

HawkGA

Reaction score
Surprised he didn't go on injured reserve. Do we really expect him to contribute this year? Wonder what is different about him versus DT Williams.

Throwdown

Reaction score
They still have the option to IR him after 6 weeks, this way if there is injuries to either Winfield or Thurmond both who have been injured a lot in the past, they have an insurance policy without going outside of the organization.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
He goes on the PUP list now. If things go well over the next 6-8 weeks and he can return then you put him on the active roster if one of our current secondary gets injured. If things don't go well, or if there isn't a spot for him o nthe active roster you IR him at that time. Not a surprising move.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Throwdown":16lc1pb0 said:
They still have the option to IR him after 6 weeks, this way if there is injuries to either Winfield or Thurmond both who have been injured a lot in the past, they have an insurance policy without going outside of the organization.

Good point.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Simon is out with a broken foot. Williams has had his knee scoped and there is fear it's degenerative (Teams were aware of this on Draft day).
Williams has practiced since beginning of training camp so PUP was off the table for him. Only way to keep him from taking up a roster spot was IR.

No reason to IR Simon when you can reexamine the issue by moving him to Regular Season PUP.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Seattle knows they have a complete bad-ass in waiting.

/end AAR

I assume it's because he has a foot injury and not a knee injury. Williams fell to the 5th after having a 1st/2nd round grade because of his injury and Tharold doesn't have that baggage.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Throwdown":23x73woc said:

This explains it all. No consequence to throwing him on PUP. As I understand it, PUP was off the table for Williams since he was an active participant in pre-season.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Basis4day":3ltsebr3 said:
Simon is out with a broken foot. Williams has had his knee scoped and there is fear it's degenerative (Teams were aware of this on Draft day).
Williams has practiced since beginning of training camp so PUP was off the table for him. Only way to keep him from taking up a roster spot was IR.

No reason to IR Simon when you can reexamine the issue by moving him to Regular Season PUP.
I didn't know about the practicing versus not practicing distinction. Thanks for the info.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Throwdown":3g5ph314 said:

Great point, and that is actually a really smart way to play it.

themunn

Reaction score
There's literally no point in putting a player on IR if they are still PUP eligible

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Hate to see the majority of our new players all hurt currently or at some point this preseason. Bit of a lemon factory with the newbies :

Percy - we all know about his hip and history
Bennett - has missed some time mainly in practice but HOPEFULLY is now all good to go
Avril - currently hurt and looking like a lemon so far
Christine Michael - missed time & injury history
Jesse Williams - currently hurt & injury history
Tharold Simon - currently hurt
Tony McDaniel - has missed time
Winfield - has missed time & injusry history (3 of last 6 seasons has missed 6+ games)
Other guys have missed practice time too with minor stuff, which is typical (Jordan Hill, Luke Willson).

Yes it's only preseason, but already gonna be a lot of missed real games with Percy, Williams, Simon, and possibly Avril. It sucks, as these new guys are the ones I'm hoping to take us from very good to GREAT

Hawks46

Reaction score
How many guys can we IR with the designation to be able to come back during the year ? This was what the Ravens did for Ray Lewis last year.

We could PUP him, then IR him with the ability to come back. Or can we not IR/return a guy who started the season on PUP ?

sutz

Reaction score
Hawks46":3eqjgotl said:
How many guys can we IR with the designation to be able to come back during the year ? This was what the Ravens did for Ray Lewis last year.

We could PUP him, then IR him with the ability to come back. Or can we not IR/return a guy who started the season on PUP ?
I believe it's only one. There probably isn't enough time to I/R (designate for return) if you wait until mid season to do so. It's kind of limited to early in the season IIRC.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Throwdown":1gw4yfv0 said:

Nice explanation Throw. That makes a lot of sense, and probably is what they are thinking.

Crash123go

Reaction score
I was so high on this guy in the draft, I wanted Denver to draft him so bad. I was also really high on cooper Taylor, SS out of richmond