Ten things that will likely improve as the season goes on

hoxrox

Reaction score
3. Run game. This team will go as far as the running game goes. We don't look to be a power running team anymore. Lost the battle in the trenches against an OK GB front seven, no reliable blocks from the TEs that we once had with Miller, no Robinson or Tukuafu used on lead blocks. Our offense made a Capers defense look good... that's just sad.

If Lynch can't get at least 3 to 5 yards on early downs, it's going to be a long season. Not sure why Wilson didn't keep it more on read options in the first half as well. Doesn't even need to be run keepers, could be more pass keepers to keep defenses off balance, and not so stacked on stopping Lynch. That opens up everything else as we saw in the 3rd quarter.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
When Irvin was a rookie, he got 8 sacks and was huge in the GB game early in the season. I'm not buying that Clark is not seeing play because he's a rookie. But then, I have no alternative explanation. He simply looked too good to not be the real deal.

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":13iz7qsa said:
Sarlacc83":13iz7qsa said:
FWIW, I don't hold Richards necessarily accountable nor even think he's done a bad job; I do think, however, he'll continue to improve due to experience which matches with the thread title. Because, yes, blitzing Rodgers is deadly, but that doesn't mean that if you're having a bit of trouble corralling him when he escapes that you don't keep someone on the edge to spy on him once in awhile, too - especially if your DL keeps opening up the edge like they did last night. (That needs to get corrected most of all. The DE's folding the tackles into the QB while the DTs push up the middle.)

Problem is that if you send a guy, he'll just throw where that guy came from. He's insanely good against the blitz. If you are going to blitz him, it should be rarely and creatively. Which is pretty much exactly what Richard did.

Hasselbeck":13iz7qsa said:
Very bold statement. I think we're 0-2 with or without Unger. With or without Kam.

IMO, I think it's very likely that we'd have won the Rams game with Kam. If nothing else than for the simple reason that it would have prevented Bailey from sabotaging our defense. The Packers game would have been closer with Kam. I think we're probably 1-1 if the holdout had never happened.

I don't miss Unger. He was good when healthy, but he couldn't be depended upon to stay healthy or make decent snaps. He was outplayed last season by Patrick Lewis. It's true that Nowak has been awful in the run game so far, but to me that has nothing to do with JS reading the tea-leaves and everything to do with Tom Cable filling Unger's spot with his latest teacher's pet.

Tical21":13iz7qsa said:
The one thing I did want to comment on was Shead. So far he's the only player I have analyzed from last night's game. Even then, it was the TV copy, so it's a little difficult sometimes to assess a coverage at times. That said, I think when they watch the tape, they're going to be pretty disappointed in him, particularly in his run fits. If we're going to play 8 in the box, he's got to get up and fill, and he was really passive.

I commented after the game that Seattle's entire defense has been playing flat-footed so far this year. It's not just Shead, it's the rest of our DBs and most unforgivably, our star LBs. Rather than attack the runner, they wait to let him make the first move, even with multiple seahawk defenders around the ball carrier. In the process, they basically concede 3-5 yards of YAC each time.

When Seattle's D is at their best, they are aggressive and attack runners to eliminate YAC. Unfortunately, that is an area where Kam's presence and tone setting seems to have a major impact.

I'm not absolving Shead, I think he's well established as a poor safety based on his past performances. But in this game, he didn't kill us the way Bailey did in game one.

By the way, pretty funny how Pete singled out Bailey for praise after game one, then immediately benched his ass and never let him see the light of day in game two.
Yep, I'm anxious to see what happens at safety this week. Was Shead the better matchup this week against Green Bay because he is solid in coverage, or do we see Bailey in there again this week against a lesser passing team?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":262q2p8j said:
Yep, I'm anxious to see what happens at safety this week. Was Shead the better matchup this week against Green Bay because he is solid in coverage, or do we see Bailey in there again this week against a lesser passing team?

Probably Shead, because they only prayer the Bears have of winning is racking up a bajillion explosive plays on broken coverages.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I haven't seen the game yet, just some highlights, but from that, and the Rams game, I think this is the biggest point of the season so far:

"10. Lynch. Kind of ties into run blocking, but Lynch doesn't trust his blocks right now, and it's impacting his performance. Once Lynch gets a feel for how the new line blocks, we'll start seeing 100 yard games from him again."

He seems to have expanded his distrust of Coleman from last year to the whole line. And I don't blame him.

I'm starting to hate Cable because I think he's asking too much of young linemen, especially on the pulling. Just let them block damnit! They're playing because of their power! Use it!

Everytime they pull (it seems), someone runs behind them and makes the tackle in the backfield!

Simplify things for Nowak so that he can just use his power. To me, when I see missed blocks, it's because the blockers were confused on their assignments. They're thinking too much. They need to play fast and hard.

Here's some ideas to change things up:

1. Put Patrick Lewis in their and sub in Nowak once in a while.

2. Replace Coleman with Tukuafu.

3. How about some trick plays to make the defense think some more?

4. Simplify the blocking. Too many DL are getting past the young guys.

5. Have Russell start out keeping the ball.

6. Designed roll outs. People are getting through anyway, RW might as well be on the move.

7. Just throw it at Jimmy if he's 1 on 1. Lose the conservative bit

8. Give Russell more control over the play calls early.

9. Bring in an extra offensive lineman. It's not like the extra receivers are helping.