Team staff watching live broadcast during game

cymatica

Reaction score
I'm just curious if this happens with NFL teams and how often. I would think it would be worth it to have a few people in the organization to just watch the live broadcast and give their input to certain coaches in real time. Almost like a different perspective to give different data points to the coordinators to help them as the game unfolds

Jville

Reaction score
Oh Yeah, lets expand the real time communications challenge and complexity of game day decisions.

No way that would work!

On a side note ....... I thought moving Clint Hurtt up into a booth from which to watch the action and call plays has paid dividends. It's improved communication between position coaches and players. And given Hurtt more unimpeded focus on play calling.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
I've wondered that too. Seems like a great way to get a macro view of all viewpoints.

sutz

Reaction score
Not sure what it would provide that the big screens in the stadium doesn't. Seems they all have at least one and most have several. I guess having specific assistants to watch and comment/relay info might be constructive.

Whether the coodinators patrol the sideline or sit in the booth is kind of a personal decision. There have been coaches that thrive in either place. I think it would be easier to view what is happening from the upper view, but that of course isolates them from the team somewhat. Some coaches prefer the hands on approach of stalking the sidelines.

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
I have a collection of MAD books. At one time they could be picked up in Charity Shops for a few pennies. One of them is following on from In Depth reporting at a party Convention to apply it to Football. They had a roving reporter in the huddle advising that a QB sneak had been called. The opposition are watching on a portable TV set on the sideline. After the QB had been flattened. Another roving reporter thrusts a microphone into his face.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Huh - I thought that cells were completely banned - apparently not -

No, cells are absolutely in play at all times in the NFL. Right now, Brandon Browner is in one, and he's (Beatles) "not the only one". "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time" (Baretta theme) There's a song lyric or a movie quote for nearly every situation...

P.S. Speaking of Baretta, Robert Blake hooked up with gold-digger psycho bitch, not sure if he killed her or not, but who could blame him. Topic for the Shack someday, or never, moving along...

ivotuk

Reaction score
KJ Wright said that's what they did. They'd watch the TV copy and see the cadence, calls, checks, and how everyone responded because that's how it looked during the game.

steak

Reaction score
KJ Wright said that's what they did. They'd watch the TV copy and see the cadence, calls, checks, and how everyone responded because that's how it looked during the game.
I think that was for film study. They would watch the broadcasts and hear the audibles and know how to react when they heard those on the field during the game.