Team already better than last year

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
We the moves we have made in free agency, Adams getting healthy, last years rooks having that year 1under the belt, Pete possible changing defensive line scheme, and what we just picked up with our first two picks we have made solid improvement so far. Many picks still to go as well. The future is bright in Seattle:)

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I do hope they fill those needs but there is no team without a weakness. We will not fill every need but as long as we are strong enough everywhere else we can cover up for deficiencies.

evergreen

Reaction score
I agree with those hopes and fears. Get trenches next round? Clearly going for best player available so far.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I think so but I think I would feel better if the Hawks addressed the trenches at some point (eg nose and interior OL).
Interior OL are best signed as FA. Rookie C get abused more thsn they are successful

SarG3Hawk

Reaction score
I think we will address the trenches in the next days. People gotta remember that we have addressed the trenches pretty high in the last three drafts: Taylor, Lewis, Forsyth, Cross, Lucas, free agency, etc. Not all have worked out but thats the draft. Tomorrow if we could get a IDL and a Center it would be great but I love the BPA approach. What this team needs is dawgs and talented guys who just ball out at any position. We got two today that have that mentality and can step in and produce right away and can still grow.

getnasty

Reaction score
We added guys that will come in and start from the jump today. If Spoon can be shutdown it helps the DL big time.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
I think we will address the trenches in the next days. People gotta remember that we have addressed the trenches pretty high in the last three drafts: Taylor, Lewis, Forsyth, Cross, Lucas, free agency, etc. Not all have worked out but thats the draft. Tomorrow if we could get a IDL and a Center it would be great but I love the BPA approach. What this team needs is dawgs and talented guys who just ball out at any position. We got two today that have that mentality and can step in and produce right away and can still grow.
They have selected OL fairly high for a very long time. Their track record is spotty to me, although improving? Forsyth was a 6th, so I would remove him from the "Pretty high" moniker.

The thing is, we have been drafting so low for so long that we get the left overs. With the 5th pick, we had the highest rated player in the draft (by many) and at a premium position DT. One that under normal circumstances would be gone well before we would ever get a sniff even at pick 5!
But the flags that may have stopped us from the pick also stopped the 4 teams above us, and the 3 below. Therefore the red flags are very visible to teams and they made their pick.

I also take heart that we got the pick of the TOP DB (not even a luxury while getting ET) AND the Top choice at WR.

I'll take that to the bank, and watch what tomorrow will bring.

Fade

Reaction score
If you look at the teams that are going to Super Bowls both in the past and recently. Everyone of 'em either had/have an elite D-Line, O-Line, or both.

The Seahawks have neither as of yet. Until they fully commit to improving the trenches aggressively every year, they will always just be an 8-10 win team that gets bounced early.

It's cliche', but the game IS won and lost in the trenches.
Let's hope they draft D-Line & O-Line tomorrow.

In a vacuum though, it's understandable why there would be excitement about the picks they made today. They drafted 2 players in the 1st round that can be instant contributors. However, knowing the above makes it harder to be hyped for me. If the 49ers continue to kick the Seahawks ass upfront these 2 picks won't feel as good.

SarG3Hawk

Reaction score
They have selected OL fairly high for a very long time. Their track record is spotty to me, although improving? Forsyth was a 6th, so I would remove him from the "Pretty high" moniker.

The thing is, we have been drafting so low for so long that we get the left overs. With the 5th pick, we had the highest rated player in the draft (by many) and at a premium position DT. One that under normal circumstances would be gone well before we would ever get a sniff even at pick 5!
But the flags that may have stopped us from the pick also stopped the 4 teams above us, and the 3 below. Therefore the red flags are very visible to teams and they made their pick.

I also take heart that we got the pick of the TOP DB (not even a luxury while getting ET) AND the Top choice at WR.

I'll take that to the bank, and watch what tomorrow will bring.
You’re right Forsyth was a low round pick I just mentioned him off the top of my head. Yeah, they have been addressing the trenches for years and it seems their older formula wasn’t working. The new one from last year hopefully is used tomorrow and for day 3 as well.

I know Carter was desired here and even I was coming around to the pick once the clock ticked. However it speaks volumes that they didn’t think he would fit here when they have tried that with other “red flag” players. Maybe they didn’t want to put that “saviour” status on a young and troubled man. With that pick he would be considered by many to come in and automatically make this D top 10. Defensive lineman have a long learning curve in most cases. Their impact isn’t immediate and there are just as many flame outs as all pros from that position that high. Add in the pressure, lack of mental make up (immaturity), and his alleged lack of passion for the game and it could be bad. He went to the perfect place for him to be. Philly is stacked and has the right veterans in that position to help him, we don’t.

Pete has stated he’s looking for the next batch of culture setters and leaders. Spoon and JSN are studs at their positions and culture setters through their intensity/work ethic. I’m excited asf that they seem to at least have a plan and stick to it. They tried to be cute in years past but this no BS approach of adding talent by any means is great. When we won the Super Bowl we were one of if not the deepest teams in the league.

My last point. The LOB for the most part was made up of coached up secondary players that they drafted. For better or worse the team got the Dline from FA. Maybe they are doing something similar this time around. I think and hope they get some big boys tomorrow but it could be what they are trying to do.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Maybe they already helped the run defense by selecting Witherspoon. If he a Woolen are shutdown CBs, it will allow a safety come up to the front to assist in stopping the run.
Also running 3 safety sets with Adams just roaming and rushing.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
If you look at the teams that are going to Super Bowls both in the past and recently. Everyone of 'em either had/have an elite D-Line, O-Line, or both.

The Seahawks have neither as of yet. Until they fully commit to improving the trenches aggressively every year, they will always just be an 8-10 win team that gets bounced early.

It's cliche', but the game IS won and lost in the trenches.
Let's hope they draft D-Line & O-Line tomorrow.

In a vacuum though, it's understandable why there would be excitement about the picks they made today. They drafted 2 players in the 1st round that can be instant contributors. However, knowing the above makes it harder to be hyped for me. If the 49ers continue to kick the Seahawks ass upfront these 2 picks won't feel as good.
Like getting both cornerstone tackles last year?

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Like getting both cornerstone tackles last year?
It's like he doesn't actually pay attention and just says whatever he dreams up. There's still more draft to come and the pool of talent in the trenches tomorrow is completely lit. Seahawks can still feast even more!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Can you imagine, though, if (yes, yes, I realize, it's a big "if") Adams comes in and plays like he did for the Jets without injury, and we have W&W on the outsides and Diggs back there? That's a fantastic back 4. In terms of speed and making plays, it could be lights out for many WRs.

Latest posts