Talk me off the CHAZz ledge, but Wilson...

HawkWow

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3r9tjzbv said:
SoulfishHawk":3r9tjzbv said:
Complaining when your team is 2-0 seems kind of silly. Oh well.

I dunno. If I was a Pats fan or a Houston fan, I could find plenty to complain about right about now.

It's amazing the pundits still have the Pats as high as they do. Brady has worked magic over the years, but this bastage is an entirely different dilemma ...like a big legged Emma. I don't think the Pats fans have much to worry about, actually. They're just done (for now).

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Bobblehead":37s9wj1r said:
Is it possible we played against a couple of really really good DL's that were gunning for us?

Strange as it sounds, defenses may have seen him last year and somewhat have figured out how to contain his little feints that worked so well for him last year. True our OL pass protection is rather average at best..thank god we have Cable, think how awful it really could be.

OTOH, I think it would behoove our play if we had Kearse or Williams starting for Rice. As much as I like Rice, I just don't think he can stretch out the defense enough for teams ever to have a worry. Kearse or Williams I really feel can open up the field giving more areas for everyone else to be open.

BTW, there are two QB's out there who played us and had a worse game than Russell.

As much as I love Rice id love to see some sets with Kearse out there as well.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Especially since Rice is temporary, anyway. Let's get our organic guys (like Kearse, Tate and Baldwin) all the reps we can this year. Them and Harvin will be our go-to guys next year. IF Rice restructures and accepts half of his current pay..well, that would still be too much. He's expendable and as good as gone, IMO.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
HawkWow":3iu53a5a said:
Especially since Rice is temporary, anyway. Let's get our organic guys (like Kearse, Tate and Baldwin) all the reps we can this year. Them and Harvin will be our go-to guys next year. IF Rice restructures and accepts half of his current pay..well, that would still be too much. He's expendable and as good as gone, IMO.

Rice has to be one of the most underappreciated players on our team. Yeah, he's expensive for what he seems to produce, but our team would be worse off without him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm not excusing Wilson's misfires; he's clearly trying to do too much instead of taking what the defense is giving him.

But, if we really want explanations for his poor play, there are still plenty of other places to look as well. The O-line is struggling, not in the "they're all terrible, fire them all" way but in a "early in the season, certain guys have weak spots" way. Tight ends and running backs are not being utilized frequently, so Wilson doesn't have a lot of pressure options. During the SF game, Lynch's two biggest receptions came when running as just such a release valve, so I was glad to see Bevell throwing that in. He and PC always seem to want the big play, always relying on longer-developing shots. And also, we simply don't have separation skills in our WR corps short of Rice, and his skills come deep and not short.

Aaaaaaand, there's always the matter of Wilson not being best-equipped, height-wise, to glimpse those close-in pressure options even if they were there.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":37bha92y said:
HawkWow":37bha92y said:

Rice has to be one of the most underappreciated players on our team. Yeah, he's expensive for what he seems to produce, but our team would be worse off without him.

Could be. Wouldn't know. I appreciate the hell out of the guy but less than I appreciate Golden Tate. With Harvin's salary and this being Tate's contract year, I'm certain there's only money for one more high dollar WR (if that). If given the choice, I'd stay with Tate. Nothing against Rice, at all.

sumos2005

Reaction score
Wilson is ranked 7th in the NFL in passing effiency, while leading his team to a 2 and 0 start by beating a conf team on the road and crushing a team that was picked to win the division.

If this is the most we can find to fault, I iiken it
to Mrs Argentina 's eyebrows being too long in the Miss America pageant...

mikeak

Reaction score
sumos2005":1hdzabi2 said:
Wilson is ranked 7th in the NFL in passing effiency, while leading his team to a 2 and 0 start by beating a conf team on the road and crushing a team that was picked to win the division.

If this is the most we can find to fault, I iiken it
to Mrs Argentina 's eyebrows being too long in the Miss America pageant...

You mean focusing on something small that is wrong instead of the major thing that the person isn't eligible to compete?

OP
OP
beasthawk

beasthawk

Reaction score
SeaTown81":2jqsa7fi said:
There is nothing wrong with being critical of a good or popular player. Like BFS said, it doesn't serve us any good to blindly ignore such things. But the inclusion of the Charlie Whitehurst references are baffling to me. With those and your title, you lose me entirely. That's just stupid.

Go Hawks.

Its called a joke, I in no way miss CBJ but I find it funny to pretend I do, if you think I'm serious the jokes on you. :)

OP
OP
beasthawk

beasthawk

Reaction score
I know in my heart that RW will fix those mistakes, but they are still there to ignore them is dumb..

pocketprotector

Reaction score
7th highest passer rating after facing two solid defenses with an under performing offensive line. Certainly within Superbowl contending range, especially with the defense playing the way it is.

warden

Reaction score
Both the panthers and especially the 49ers have very good front sevens on defense. They make other teams offenses struggle, that is what they do, that is why they are considered good defenses. The other team gets paid too. What is important is do we make more plays then the other team. As of now, Wilson has made more plays then his opponents in both games.

General Manager

Reaction score
63% comp percentage and passer rating of 96 not sure about his QBR . I just looked his numbers up and given how the O-line has played these numbers are better than I thought they would be. Penalty's are killing us.

Tical21

Reaction score
QBR doesn't take a lot of things into account, like sacks, bad decisions, checkdowns, degree of difficulty, how poorly balls were thrown, etc. You can't have watched Russ play the past two weeks and say our passing game has been working. 1-10 to start, was it not? And while the two teams we've played are supposed to have good front 7's, they're also supposed to be quite horrendous in the secondary.

The concerning thing is that there really isn't anything in the passing game we are doing well. We aren't protecting, we aren't getting open, and we aren't getting rid of the ball on time. Even the play-action game has been messy at best. I wouldn't throw more than 50% of the blame on Russell, but he hasn't been sharp either.

Quite simply, we need to call some plays where the preliminary receivers are running simple slants, digs or outs, the WR needs to win that route, the line needs to give Riss a few seconds, and Russell needs to hit him on time. At least every once in a while. This should be a great week to start to get something going.

keasley45

Reaction score
Tical21":19ozbvnb said:
QBR doesn't take a lot of things into account, like sacks, bad decisions, checkdowns, degree of difficulty, how poorly balls were thrown, etc. You can't have watched Russ play the past two weeks and say our passing game has been working. 1-10 to start, was it not? And while the two teams we've played are supposed to have good front 7's, they're also supposed to be quite horrendous in the secondary.

The concerning thing is that there really isn't anything in the passing game we are doing well. We aren't protecting, we aren't getting open, and we aren't getting rid of the ball on time. Even the play-action game has been messy at best. I wouldn't throw more than 50% of the blame on Russell, but he hasn't been sharp either.

Quite simply, we need to call some plays where the preliminary receivers are running simple slants, digs or outs, the WR needs to win that route, the line needs to give Riss a few seconds, and Russell needs to hit him on time. At least every once in a while. This should be a great week to start to get something going.

^ this

jonkchar

Reaction score
In the Sports Illustrated issue with all the different covers, it says that his idol Drew Breed told him his footwork was wrong. I wonder if that has to do with anything? Maybe he's overthinking it since then?