Taking Dan McGwire over Brett Favre may be biggest ‘What if?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Taking Dan McGwire over Brett Favre may be biggest ‘What if?’ in Seahawks draft history

Originally published April 20, 2016 at 1:19 pm Updated April 22, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Editor’s note: This is the first of two stories looking back at draft-day decisions that shaped the future of the Seahawks — one that worked out well and one that didn’t.

This story looks at the 1991 decision to pick QB Dan McGwire over Brett Favre. In the second story we go back to 1997, when the Seahawks nearly passed on left tackle Walter Jones.

As the Seahawks prepared for the 1991 NFL draft, they didn’t keep their intentions for their first-round pick a secret.

“We needed a quarterback,’’ said Tom Flores, who was then the Seahawks’ president and general manager.

And with the No. 16 overall pick, the Seahawks seemed positioned to grab a quarterback who could learn for a year or two under veteran Dave Krieg and then take over.

The only question: Which quarterback? The answer turned out to be possibly the biggest “What if?” in Seahawks history.

Instead of taking a quarterback whose senior season had been pockmarked by injuries and whose maturity some questioned — Southern Mississippi’s Brett Favre — the Seahawks opted for a quarterback who was a favorite of then-owner Ken Behring — San Diego State’s Dan McGwire, the younger brother of baseball star Mark McGwire.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... s-history/

Torc

Reaction score
I'm still convinced they had Knox's QB of the future on the roster. Stouffer had gone 3-3 (if I remember correctly off the top of my head) in relief of Krieg as a rookie, and showed some real moxie - getting up after getting his nose broken and throwing a long TD. I don't blame Stouffer for not doing well in the QB roulette under Flores. Flores had the chance to get results from three first-round QBs and failed with all of them. The real mistake was firing Knox.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
We also have to consider the fact that Favre may have been a different player. Holmgren was an infamous QB guru, Favre didn't look so great in Atlanta until Holmgren got his hands on him and reigned him in Greenbay.

Maulbert

Reaction score
If Seattle had drafted Favre, I expect he would've wound up in Green Bay, anyway. Behring didn't like him, and both Holmgren and Ron Wolf were infatuated. They gave up a first for him in Atlanta, I could see them making the same deal with Seattle's clueless FO. The only difference would be us now banging our heads against the wall about the fact that we'd have given him up for peanuts.

Rat

Reaction score
He was extremely unrefined coming out of Southern Miss, and his accuracy numbers were almost laughably bad. He needed to be in the perfect situation to succeed and I doubt we had that environment.

Subzero717

Reaction score
This is probably the biggest what if but not drafting Elway in order to take a RB has to be 1A.

seabowl

Reaction score
Trading away Dorsett pick was the worst along with one of the picks they got for him again was traded away and that was to the Niners who took Montana.