Sweezy or Okung?

Sweezy or Okung -- whom would you rather re-sign?

• Sweezy

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Okung

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Both

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I really hope both are gone. Don't stick with them just because we are familiar with their mediocrity. I will gladly take a rebuilding year on the OL with the right players for the future in there. Okung and Sweezy are what they are. Inconsistent, usually bad with occasional nice plays. We can do better.

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Right now, the team has committed only $3.1 million (or 2.53%) to the offensive line for this season. The next lowest spending team on linemen has more than $10 million committed:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

There's a tremendous opportunity this season to re-shape the offensive line, to take it in a new direction, totally rebuilding it. I hope that happens.

If they were to sign someone like Alex Boone or Kelechi Osemele, instead of Sweezy or Okung, that could have a tremendous impact. There's no rule that says they have to re-sign their own players, rather than using that money to target a superior free agent.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2tyc6aym said:
I really can't see us keeping Okung. Some team will pay him more than he's worth no doubt. I'd like to keep Sweezy if he resigns cheap.

This is where I am at with it...I would be shocked if Okung is back given his injury history. Okung however IS his own agent so maybe he comes back and signs a cheaper 1 year deal that we would be ok with?

With how many injuries he has sustained I dont think he will ever be anything more than Above Average as a LT and that is high ceiling

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
hawknation2016":18pnmsem said:
Right now, the team has committed only $3.1 million (or 2.53%) to the offensive line for this season. The next lowest spending team on linemen has more than $10 million committed:

There's a tremendous opportunity this season to re-shape the offensive line, to take it in a new direction, totally rebuilding it. I hope that happens.

If they were to sign someone like Alex Boone or Kelechi Osemele, instead of Sweezy or Okung, that could have a tremendous impact. There's no rule that says they have to re-sign their own players, rather than using that money to target a superior free agent.

This Past year the Patriots barely spent more than we did on Oline but they were smart enough to do a quick passing game and we werent. I do agree I would much rather just spend money on another FA over either of them though. I dont think either are all that great and would be overpaid

kearly

Reaction score
It seemed like Pete was more vague than usual this time. With Seattle having so many notable free agents, there are a lot of pieces that have to fall into place before Seattle could even really know how their offseason will play out.

My guess is that Okung is priced out and leaves, Sweezy is cheap and stays, and Seattle drafts a tackle early, followed by a pass rusher in round 2. And if Seattle knows they are on the outs with Okung, I could see them at least attempting to make a run at Alex Mack.

Ultimately, Seattle will play moneyball with their own free agents. Guys that get bid up by other teams will probably be gone.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Sweezy. Okung is not going to be getting healthier as he ages.

sam1313

Reaction score
I could go either way on Okung, but hell no to Sweezy. I am so sick of his inability to pass block I can't stand it. He simply put isn't very good, and certainly not worth a large price tag. Far rather go with Glow.

IN any case, I selected "neither."

RichNhansom

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2ftf0q9s said:
hawknation2016":2ftf0q9s said:

This Past year the Patriots barely spent more than we did on Oline but they were smart enough to do a quick passing game and we werent. I do agree I would much rather just spend money on another FA over either of them though. I dont think either are all that great and would be overpaid

Yes they did go to a quicker passing attack but they also don't play in the NFC west and didn't face near the D-lines we did this year. They also have Gronk, Amendola and Edleman who all have chemistry with Brady.

If Graham comes back at 100% and Lockette and Baldwin stay healthy we could look much more like that with the caveat being the defenses we play.

Improved pass protection is going to be a requirement to be able to see our passing attack be good enough to carry the team.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'd vote Okung if he is willing to sign at a back up's salary. He would be valuable as depth but not having to rely on him.

randomation

Reaction score
Neither is worth what their asking price will be. Go for FAs Boone and Mack ideally.

saroos

Reaction score
I think Joe Thomas is on are roster for next year. He will be cheaper then Okung. We are not shy about trading are early draft pics either. I also believe Sweez in gone and Glow will start in his place next year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If you ask me today, I'm keeping Okung and signing as many new interior pieces as I can afford. Either a splash Guard signing or smaller deals for a both a G and a C. Of course, you draft and potentially elevate Glow as well.

I would let Sweezy walk. This is the Andy Dalton conundrum for OL. You'd be missing an opportunity to get better by doing something safe like re-signing him. This does not apply to LT -- starting caliber players are too scarce -- which is why you keep Okung. Also, Okung was not the problem last year.

Fade

Reaction score
Seattle could sign Ryan Clady who will most likely be a cap casualty. The logic to this is that cap casualties do not count towards the compensatory formula.

So the team could swap out Okung for Clady for even less money, and gain a compensatory pick.

bigwrm

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1gctlnqx said:
Okung and Irvin will both likely net a 3rd round comp pick.

If Okung couldn't even stay healthy in his contract year he likely never will. Even so his price will be insanely high given his position and FA. Remember the best ability is availability. That goes double for O-line because it drastically effects continuity.

Sweezy might be worth a 6th round comp pick if he gets a good enough FA contract but if he is affordable and Pete believes he hasn't hit his ceiling yet then I could see retaining him.

To me the priorities are Kears, Lane, Shead and Tuba Rubin.
I think Okung and Irvin are more likely to result in 4th round comps if they sign elsewhere. They would need to get to at least the 10+ million/year range needed for a 3rd round comp. Okung may be closer, but I have strong doubts he'll be able to get that much given his injury history.

Latest posts