Sweezy is Back...

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":66fe57qj said:
How quickly everyone forgets. Sweezy was hardly immune to this board's criticism re: pass protection when he played for us. Good at run blocking, bad at everything else, and the epitome of useless cut-blocking.

Here's hoping he got better outside Seattle.

We haven’t forgotten. Our standards was just lowered....

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I've been watching some Sweezy plays from last year. His pass protection has definitely improved. However, he was not moving as explosively as he used to, especially later in the year.

Sweezy does a nice job getting to the 2nd level here to turn and pancake Green Bay ILB Jake Ryan, springing the Bucs RB for a big gain (12/3/17):
giphy.gif

Yxes1122

Reaction score
This is a low risk move.

For the first time in years we actually have some decent experience on the OL at multiple positions. I’ll take it.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Week 5 vs New England Sweezy was moving pretty well in his Xmas pajamas:
giphy.gif

JGreen79

Reaction score
2_0_6":3ctae9ak said:
Who woulda thought going into this season that the Oline looks like it has better depth than the Dline?

I LOVE Sweezy's nastiness, I just hope he can stay healthy

Maybe they signed him with the hopes of converting him to Dline... :stirthepot:

toffee

Reaction score
He came here, passed the medical, then went to Oakland to see Cable. Returned to sign with the Hawks, Cable didn't want to offer? HOwever, Cable did bring Oday Aboushi to Oakland, got to say Cable moves in mysterious ways.

Fade

Reaction score
This signing is a very cheap deal so no one should be disappointed.

I think he is an upgrade over Fluker, but Fluker has the advantage of playing for Solari already. Fluker vs. Ifedi RT competition incoming perhaps.

Brown
Pocic
Britt
Sweezy
Ifedi

Fluker
Jones
Fant

Those 8 guys will make the team if healthy.

The Seahawks usually keep 9, sometime keep 10.

BUBBLE PLAYERS

Roos
Battle
Odhiambo
Hunt
Willie Beavers
Skyler Phillips
Avery Young
Marcus Henry

SeaJax

Reaction score
Welcome back J.R. After his retaliation hit against C. Matthews in the NFCCG he is always welcome in a Seahawk uniform.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Brian Schneider made an interesting comment the other day about possibly keeping more skills players on the roster, rather than linemen, because of the changes to the kickoff rules. Basically, it sounds like they will only be using skill players now as blockers, instead of linemen.

Last year, the Seahawks kept 10 linemen to start off. In 2014-16, it was nine. In 2013, they also kept 10 offensive linemen.

Avery Young was already waived to make room for Sweezy.

Of the remaining bubble players, you need a backup center, which is currently Hunt. Maybe Roos should be learning how to play center to improve his versatility. Battle can play both tackle positions. Odhiambo has the most experience in that group, though he didn't play very well. Beavers can play both guard positions (2nd team reps at LG, some first team reps at RG), which is an asset. Skyler Phillips is probably the prospect I am most excited about, but it's hard to see him making the roster due to the competition. Phillips will probably make it to the practice squad, unless he dominates so much in preseason that another team steals him or the Seahawks make room for him.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
toffee":3bqtjbia said:
He came here, passed the medical, then went to Oakland to see Cable. Returned to sign with the Hawks, Cable didn't want to offer? HOwever, Cable did bring Oday Aboushi to Oakland, wtf, got to say Cable moves in mysterious ways.

Well, if Cable didn’t want him then that must mean Sweezy can play. I’m in!

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I hear they're moving him to defense. (-;

For me the big difference in our offensive line will come from two things. An improved running game and Wilson working from the pocket more. As long as he is constantly scrambling, the O-line will struggle to protect him and constantly be out of position making continuity nearly impossible.

I guess I could say three if Wilson improves on getting the ball out faster. Taking what defenses are giving him.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
So, what does this mean?

Obviously Fluker is the starter.

But, they tried Roos, Beavers and Ifedi at RG in case Fluker gets hurt so are they not happy with any of them?

And, the blocking scheme is different so what did Tampa run? Zone, man or both?

And, I thought we're looking for bigger guards so is Sweezy considered undersized in Solari's system?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
truehawksfan":2r7xo1lo said:
So, what does this mean?

Obviously Fluker is the starter.

But, they tried Roos, Beavers and Ifedi at RG in case Fluker gets hurt so are they not happy with any of them?

And, the blocking scheme is different so what did Tampa run? Zone, man or both?

And, I thought we're looking for bigger guards so is Sweezy considered undersized in Solari's system?

I don’t think Fluker is obviously the starter. He’s going to have to beat out Sweezy for the job. That’s probably not likely to happen, no matter how much Solari likes Fluker’s attitude.

Sweezy is not small by any means. At his best, he is strong and explosive. Tampa Bay uses both man and zone schemes, like the Seahawks will, but they use zone runs a little bit more. Sweezy would certainly be an upgrade over Fluker in pass protection and in experience as a RG (Fluker has been a late convert to the position, which might partly explain his struggles).

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2gspanjh said:
We signed him to the 99, not to the 53. If he makes the 53, then it means he was better than someone else. This can *only* be a good thing.
Eggszactly.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
You know you have been in a world of hurt when you celebrate the return of a player like Sweezy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Latest posts