Super Bowl XL* : Never Forget

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":26knu34b said:
...Pete should require that the team watch a rerun of that game before they meet this Sunday.

Not sure how effective it would be, but I had that exact thought within SECONDS of finding out they were finally playing here this year!

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
raisethe3":186uy5b2 said:
Man, Darrell Jackson was torching that secondary in the first quarter. Lol @ the pass interference. Hardly a pass interference.

Still burns me up that the Back Judge who made that call was Bob Waggoner, a PITTSBURGH NATIVE. How the hell was that conflict of interest even allowed to begin with?

I haven't watched it since, but I did watch the abbreviated NFL Films (?) version and early in the game, they show Ken Hamlin on the sidelines. He looks down at the camera and says something like, "You all seeing this?"
Many more rotten calls were made AFTER that too. The 'Hawks made plenty of self-inflicted errors (Holmy's clock management, missed FGs, Rouen's punting), but short of playing an absolutely perfect game, they had NO chance of winning on that fateful day.

Keyhawk

Reaction score
This is a really good post and thread. Is there any talk of the crowd noise being elevated because of that Super Bowl?

GO HAWKS

hawkfannj

Reaction score
I want this one pretty bad ! Just beat the Steelers!!!

Rob12

Reaction score
Seeing the pockets that Hass was getting in this game has left me jealous and sad for Russ.

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
not often I agree with every comment on a thread but this one has that feel.

It is about 12's venting at raw core with a few trolls thrown in

Did not sleep after XL, slept like a baby after XLVIII

If XLVIII had not happened am not sure I can imagine what thoughts about being a 12 would be.

My question for 12s are what would your emotions be if XLIX had happen like it did and XLVIII went to the Broncos say 24 to 20?

SalemHawks1

Reaction score
Right on Brother. Never forget and never forgive.
I have always hated Pittsburg even before they stole that game from us and that made me hate them even more.
I hope that the Hawks can get a big win against them and use it as a spring board towards another Super Bowl run.
Hopefully the current Hawks have seen that game and use it as an extra boost to get fired up and kick some ass on Sunday.

Go Hawks I believe in you guys and I will never give up on you. Happy Blue Friday .

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Am I the only one that regularly screams obscenities at the TV every time Periea is on the screen?

"It had all the elements of a hold". Yeah well the game had all the elements of having a pre-determined outcome dickhead.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I too lived in a different region of the country in 2005 and. Cannot tell you how many times people would stop me ( because of my Seahawk gear) and tell me how shitty that game was and how people felt bad for the Seahawks and their fans. Complete strangers!!! Not " hey you guys lost a tough one" but " I couldn't believe that game and the refereeing "

Steelers and their fans know and they have to live with it. Oh well , I believe almost everyone has moved on but us. I still would like Seattle to win this game.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
AB84":3ejxp2je said:
scutterhawk":3ejxp2je said:
mrblitz":3ejxp2je said:
The refs were bad for sb40, but the 'hawks could have won anyway. seahawks can win this one though!
I'm going to disagree with this, as the Referees WERE NOT going to allow the Seahawks a victory.
Numerous phony phantom calls by the Officials.....They weren't going to let Jerome Bettes and the Stealers go home with a loss....No Way No How.
It wasn't destiny, it was a corrupt NFL.
I'm sorry but this is absolutely comical. Watch that game again and tell me the Seahawks didn't blow opportunities in the second half with the potential to take the lead and win. The refs can SWAY a game but they absolutely cannot "prevent the Seahawks from winning". You can't put the whole loss on the refs, can you not take even a sliver of responsibility for lack of execution in the second half? Dropped passes? Missed opportunities? Giving up big plays on defense? I mean c'mon, man. That's like saying Malcolm Butler is the reason you lost the last SB. Take some responsibility for your team's actions.

Overall XL was a shitty game, with poor officiating, that now costs BOTH of our fan-bases the bullshit of you guys saying "It was ours, they threw it" while we have to listen to "You didn't really win the SB, Bettis cheated". The fact that you are making threads about XL paralleling the emotional turmoil that happened on 9/11 by saying NEVER FORGET is just ridiculous.

Comical? Hardly. Comical is the fact that the it took Bill Leavy 4 years to apologize to the Seahawks in person.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/06/four-years-later-bill-leavy-apologizes-to-seahawks/

I'm not a believer of the conspiracy that the NFL didn't want Seattle to win or that they wanted Bettis to win at "home". I think quite the contrary. If given a choice to pick a team they would benefit most from winning I think they would've leaned toward the Hawks. Simply because they stood a chance of HUGE gains in the PNW with a new team of interest instead of continuing with the same ol' same ol'.

That being said, I do believe that the refs were so incompetent with that game that they did impact the confidence and rhythym of the Seahawks. It was a definite factor in the way they executed. The mere fact that every time they had a productive play there was a flag that followed, was a factor you can't ignore. Not to mention the fact that every media outlet around the country was talking about it. Yes, there were bad plays by the Hawks but you cannot discount the refs from being an outside influence on those plays. Throw in the absolute abscence of the Steelers penalties and you've got yourself a Referee Decided Championship

Torc

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2sukbapz said:
...bullshit call on the QB for actually making the tackle...

This is the play that convinces me the game was rigged. Show me one other play in history where a QB is penalized for tackling the intercepting player. Not that this play lost the game for the Hawks, but it certainly shows the mindset of the refs - find any excuse possible to penalize the Seahawks and assist the Stealers to a win. All to give an overrated player a sendoff and an excuse to put him in the Hall of Fame. I don't think Bettis makes the HOF without the ring he got that day - he was a borderline candidate as it was, and should never have been a first ballot HOFer.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I believe that if the Referees make similar calls against the Hawks this Sunday.....calls that are obviously tainted, the fans in the stands will not "take it sitting down"!!! It could turn ugly!

Jacknut16

Reaction score
The Holding call on the pass to the one was so freaking bad that I still foam at the mouth when I see it today.
Not to mention that Haggen was offside on the play at the outset.

Then the obvious horse collar on SA not called.

Then the low block on making a tackle.

I remember just being out of my mind angry at that point, I just lost it.

Those calls where all going against us like it was some kind of twilight zone episode.

morgulon1

Reaction score
So it wasn't just me. He proof is steeler fans always want to argue and explain their way to validity. They know.

irocdave

Reaction score
We all know, as well as any non Stealer fan that the NFL steered that game in the direction they wanted it to go. My previous post was punted, and deservedly so, but the truth remains. Any Stealers fan that comes here and tries to rewrite history will be grilled by this fan base. If you dumb enough to try it you have already lost the intelligence test. Shut up and slink away. Yes, if the 2014 Hawks were playing that soft ass supposedly hardnosed Stealers team, they would have crushed them, but that was a different team. Just like the Stealers worst ever winning QB is different know, all rape lawsuits aside.

For you dumb ass Stealer fans that expend your energy to try and rewrite history, that was the most one sided officiated SB in history. Pick at the minuscule all you want but it is what it is. BS. The Hawks had no chance in that game and it was evident after the first quarter. We as Hawk fans should have seen a good game and we were robbed of that, the outcome was evident from kick off. Yes, Holmy had poor clock management, yes JS dropped balls, but...any same person watching that game was shocked by the outright attempt of the NFL to drive the point home their was going to be zero chance of the Hawks to win that game. The teams were so evenly matched. I will say that the 2014 Hawks would have crushed that supposed tough ass team like a grape. The rapist would have had a negative QB rating, not almost negative.

I hate the fact that we didn't get to see our team play a legit game in SB40, neither did the rest of the audience, Stealer fans included. That should piss everyone off, but there in lies the rub. Stealer fans are to stupid to acknowledge what happened. That game gets played with neutral officiating and the Hawks win 9 out of 10 times. Things might have wound up so much different today, maybe we only have one SB win, or maybe a couple more. Who knows, but it wasn't left to up to the players on that day. Maybe Holmie is still here, maybe not. Maybe Hutch doesn't leave, maybe SA doesn't quit running. Maybe the Hawks win another and PC isn't hired. Or maybe PC is right after Holmie steps aside and the Hawks have a run like the PATS? Who knows, but it wasn't allowed.

irocdave

Reaction score
Man I have been stewing about this for 10 years. The arrogance of the NFL to rip a SB win out of our hands still pisses me off. To have Stealer fans to this day try and waltz in to a Hawk forum and try and rewrite history pisses me off even worse. Stealer fans were even worse in the aftermath of that debacle, now they think it's all blown over? F them. Most of us are still alive and we are not a bandwagon fan base like they are. F them. Call them out every chance you get and don't sell them your tickets. I want to see the Hawks go 2014 D on their ass Sunday. This is a wrong that needs to be righted. I hope PC shows the team the tape from SB 40. The paper tiger that was the 05 Stealers got the snot knocked out of them by Holmies "soft" WC offense. Yea, Big Walt and Steve H were soft. Don't buy in to these Stealer fans soft pedaling, there the same ass hats that refuse to acknowledge the NFL handed them a SB.

Rob12

Reaction score
Guess I'll be the bad guy.

I'm annoyed that nearly 10 years later, we're still talking about it. We grill other fan bases, like the 49ers, for "living in the past." This game has no bearing on what happened that day, and I believe the only current player from that day for the Hawks who is still in the league is Matt Hasselbeck.

I hated it. I still do. But to continue to harp on this is to latch on to a mentality that I let go of long ago.

I hope in 10 years I'm still not losing my mind over the play from last year's Super Bowl.

irocdave

Reaction score
Good for you, you were able to walk away with no ill effect from that abortion of an NFL officiated game. Let alone a "Game" that was the culmination of 35 years of strife. Your are a much better person than me or you just don't have as much invested as me. Kudos to you, bandwagon fan, nothing bothers you. The raiders fans giving you shit in HS, the niners fans taking potshots in 86. Yea, your so much more even keeled than anyone else on the board, I should really look up to you.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The one common theme here is self evident. It's one thing when a fanbase whines about officiating. Hell, it happens on a weekly basis during any NFL season.

When the whole PLANET who had access to a TV to watch Super Bowl 40 - outside of Steelers fans - knows we got robbed...

It's not being a whiny fanbase.

It's that we really were robbed.

I guarantee you almost every single 12 who suffered the nightmare of that game has a story that goes something like this:

"I was watching a game with a group of people and Super Bowl 40 came up. This guy came up to me when he found out I was a Seahawks fan and said, 'I'm not a Seahawks fan, Hell, I'm not even really a football fan in general but wow did you guys get robbed.'"

That story has been repeated tens of thousands of times since February 2006.

But okay Steeler fans, keep deflecting. :177692: