Super Bowl I being shown in its entirety this Fri

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
NFL Network this Friday, January 15th @ 5:00 PM. The complete game footage was thought to be lost forever but apparently it was re-assembled play by play after exhaustive searches of the NFL Films archives, then color corrected and repaired and the NBC Radio broadcast was synced with the video. Here's the story:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/11/su ... faces.html

I'm sure there are other old timers here that likely watched the game other than myself (Dr. Diags and Lymon and L80 come immediately to mind but no doubt there are others). I've seen every Super Bowl ever played though several times in the 90s I had to record the game because of working on Sundays. I also only caught about 2/3 of the first half of the Stealers 16-6 win over the Viqueens in SB IX because I was at work for that part of the game and had to keep slipping back to the break room to watch it. At halftime I was off and drove home to see the whole 2nd half. That's the only one I did not see in its entirety.

Some things you may not know about the first Super Bowl:

- it wasn't even called the Super Bowl but was rather the "AFL-NFL Championship"....the term Super Bowl didn't catch on until about SB III and was thought up by Lamar Hunt owner of the Chiefs after watching his kids play with a super ball (look it up youngsters)

- the game was broadcast on both CBS (NFL) and NBC (AFL) though pre and post game shows were pooled....the incomparable Ray Scott was the play by play man on CBS and the nearly as good Curt Gowdy chaired that job on NBC

- the game was not a sellout......only 2/3 to 3/4 of the seats (attendance was 61,946) in the LA Coliseum were sold and as a result the broadcast was blacked out in metro L.A.

- Max McGee of Green Bay who caught 7 passes for 138 yds and 2 TDs didn't even think he was going to play as he had barely played all season.....as a result he went out the night before the game and tied one on royally only to find out on gameday morning starting WR Boyd Dowler was out and he was going to start and play the whole game...... one of those TD catches was a one handed, reach behind himself beauty

MB12

Reaction score
Found this really interesting, thanks for the great post

Latest posts