Summer talk: Tanner McEvoy’s potential and issues

Jerhawk

Reaction score
He's a weapon when it comes to blocking punts, who has been under utilized in that role.

Other than that, I don't see him making the team next year

original poster

Reaction score
purpleneer":14gjz7xa said:
I'm baffled that anyone can feel certain in saying that him not showing it yet means he won't. We as fans seem to really overlook the development timeframe of receivers across the board.

It's not just WR 'we' do it with, it's just about every position unfortunately.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":1l5pxqmf said:
original poster":1l5pxqmf said:
I think more than one WR is going to emerge next season, not convinced it will be McEvoy though.

My money is on David Moore shining the brightest.

I agree, he has all they gifts a receiver can have, just a small school, not comparing but Mississippi Valley State and Tulsa were not power houses and a couple pretty good guys managed to make a decent living and have nice careers from those schools.

Certainly faster combine record than that dude from Mississippi Valley State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwilightError

Reaction score
If the unthinkable happens and he actually will be able to hold onto the ball when it’s passed to him, I’d keep him. But if the preseason is any less than impressive on that front, cut and it’s someone else’s chance.

purpleneer

Reaction score
original poster":28mkyp7q said:
purpleneer":28mkyp7q said:
I'm baffled that anyone can feel certain in saying that him not showing it yet means he won't. We as fans seem to really overlook the development timeframe of receivers across the board.

It's not just WR 'we' do it with, it's just about every position unfortunately.
That's for sure. At least it gets talked about with OL, then forgotten or ignored a bunch. A lot of people seem to really expect WRs to hit the ground running.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
purpleneer":11fqjxm5 said:
I'm baffled that anyone can feel certain in saying that him not showing it yet means he won't.

So why not say the same about Kris Durham? Or Chris Harper? Or Kevin Norwood? Or any of the other perfectly unremarkable WR's that we've drafted over the years?

It's perfectly valid to view cheap pickups like McEvoy with skepticism. There's not a thing about this guy that pops out, besides his height, which isn't nearly enough. The only reason people are hoping for his development is his two nice trick plays in 2016. Without those, nobody would be giving him the time of day.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not true.

I noticed him playing at Wisconsin.

And he was impressive.

But he fights the ball. He isn't natural at all when he catches it. At least to my eyes.

I disagree with him being too slow but that is subjective. I don't think you can argue much with the reality that he hasn't contributed much catching the ball, at least not in being consistent.

This however is the year. Receivers take longer to figure it out. But by Year 3 your guy should be productive (technically you should start getting decent production in Year 2....at least near the tail end).

But having soft hands is not really something you learn. You either have it or you don't. So that part I am not sure we are going to get much better results from him on.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Bigger receivers tend to need more time to develop consistent hands. McEvoy's size/athleticism gives him a high ceiling if he can reach his potential.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2018":145ry0qv said:
Bigger receivers tend to need more time to develop consistent hands. McEvoy's size/athleticism gives him a high ceiling if he can reach his potential.

He was not a receiver really he played QB and Safety, when your a regular receiver you learn to catch balls high, low, behind and going to the ground and out of bounds and block out things around you, cradle a catch, open palms low and under the ball timing a jump on a pass high all that. Do it enough and you do it without thinking. Tanner is trying to learn to do that at the highest level and worst is thinking about it. You don't want to think when your playing you just want to let the game or ball come to you, also looking the ball in is another talent you have to learn, your not playing catch on the play ground.

purpleneer

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":22670xap said:
purpleneer":22670xap said:
I'm baffled that anyone can feel certain in saying that him not showing it yet means he won't.

So why not say the same about Kris Durham? Or Chris Harper? Or Kevin Norwood? Or any of the other perfectly unremarkable WR's that we've drafted over the years?

It's perfectly valid to view cheap pickups like McEvoy with skepticism. There's not a thing about this guy that pops out, besides his height, which isn't nearly enough. The only reason people are hoping for his development is his two nice trick plays in 2016. Without those, nobody would be giving him the time of day.
Where did I say anything to imply expectations or hostility to skepticism? All I said is that one shouldn't be sure the other way. You list 3 college WRs drafted in the 4th round and act like McEvoy was starting at the same place. The NFL is littered with productive players who were a long way from good enough through their first 2 years, and in fact the receiving list has more than a couple, including high picks who always played the position, who made major jumps in year 3. There's a heck of a lot more than height in McEvoy's toolbox too.
I have no expectation that McEvoy is about to explode, but I do have an issue with definitive judgments made so early about players in general (cough, cough Hasselbeck), and especially without taking circumstances into account. The worry is that the CBA has so badly stifled development outside of actual game experience. Guys like Adam Thielen and Devante Adams played massively better in their third year, but playing more real game snaps in their first two was vital. Terrelle Pryor is really the example of what people hope for and even he's still developing. Heck, look at Edelman's first 3 years, playing with Brady and catching quite a few hitches and still had less than 500 yards and only one TD.