Summer talk: Odhiambo’s potential and issues.

sutz

Reaction score
I suspect many people will be surprised at how good our line will be. There is an old rule of thumb that except in the rarest of occasions, it takes 2-3 years for an O-lineman to fully develop in the league. We have several guys that have been favorite whipping boys around here for a couple of years. IIRC, we have several OL that are entering that magical sweet spot of 2-3 years experience who should start to blossom this season.

One of the problems coaches face is the limited practice time per the CBA. No position group needs more time to work together well than the O-line. Even Holmgren's line with Jones as its anchor took a couple of years to put together. I don't think the players are as bad as some folks around here like to proclaim. That's easy enough to say, but I don't necessarily buy into it.

I'm quite hopeful.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":1z6sjhx3 said:
jlwaters1":1z6sjhx3 said:
I don't think Rees has shown anything over the last 2 years to give anyone confidence that he'll become a quality starter. He was bad at Tackle and bad at guard.

Though it's curious people are giving him a pass, making excuses like "He's still learning, or he was thrown into a new position. He was a 3rd round pick and looked completely overwhelmed for most of the last 2 years. Curiously Ifedi, gets none of that courtesy from this board despite starting for 2 years (That's at least something). I would argue Ifedi has been a better player thus far in their careers. Yet it's Ifedi whose constantly being thrown under the bus.

I think Rees is a backup again this year-- Pocic will win the starting LG job, and he'll have a hard time making the team next year.

Bad at guard? What evidence do you have of this? I remember reading how odi was looking great at guard, the potential starter, then the Fant injury happened. I want him to get a good look at guard, and will not be surprised if he becomes the starter over Pocic this year.

I'm not sure you are remembering this correctly. Joeckel was the de facto starter at LG. Odhiambo was a non-starter at RG because he has been such a slow learner. IMO, he looked even worse at LG than he did at LT, where he at least had a background of familiarity. He gets out-physicaled a lot on the inside. Not an explosive, north-south player at the guard position.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":2801o4i9 said:
jlwaters1":2801o4i9 said:
I don't think Rees has shown anything over the last 2 years to give anyone confidence that he'll become a quality starter. He was bad at Tackle and bad at guard.

Though it's curious people are giving him a pass, making excuses like "He's still learning, or he was thrown into a new position. He was a 3rd round pick and looked completely overwhelmed for most of the last 2 years. Curiously Ifedi, gets none of that courtesy from this board despite starting for 2 years (That's at least something). I would argue Ifedi has been a better player thus far in their careers. Yet it's Ifedi whose constantly being thrown under the bus.

I think Rees is a backup again this year-- Pocic will win the starting LG job, and he'll have a hard time making the team next year.

Bad at guard? What evidence do you have of this? I remember reading how odi was looking great at guard, the potential starter, then the Fant injury happened. I want him to get a good look at guard, and will not be surprised if he becomes the starter over Pocic this year.

I remember reading for like 3 straight years that the entire oline was "the best he's ever had" when it comes to Cable and his bogus evaluations. IMO forget everything you think you know about this group and follow who emerges from there.
Rees did play some guard. He stepped on Russell's foot once or twice also IIRC from reeling back too fast.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The problem with being a rookie on our line was that nobody could help you.

The second problem was that you never knew what position you would play so you had to try to learn them all (good luck)

Most NFL teams, if they have a rookie on the line, can get help from the veterans. So they only had to worry about their mistakes. But on our team, because we had guys who played DL playing OL, guys that were rookies and guys being forced to change positions - nobody could help you.

Not only did you have to worry about YOUR mistakes, you constantly had to be aware of the mistakes others would make.

It was too much for almost anyone and I am frankly shocked that anyone came out of that system with a reasonable ability.

We know a lot of the rookies struggled but at some point we needed to try to determine why almost ALL of our rookies struggled. When you literally fail near 100% no matter how many attempts you take - it becomes clear it might not have been the players but the process we used to get our players effective.

I don't think we know what we have yet. And I think it will be some time before we do.

So it is probably unfair to pile on him, I imagine that a lot of our guys that struggle here might not have struggled so much on other teams that were not so saddled with such flawed processes.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Seymour":97i57fog said:
I remember reading for like 3 straight years that the entire oline was "the best he's ever had" when it comes to Cable and his bogus evaluations. IMO forget everything you think you know about this group and follow who emerges from there.
Rees did play some guard. He stepped on Russell's foot once or twice also IIRC from reeling back too fast.
That play illustrated one of the most baffling things about Cable. For all the talk about valuing versatility, he was insanely tied to types even between right and left guard and did nothing to develop versatility. In a playoff game, one injury to a rookie was all it took to see another rookie put in at a position he hadn't even practiced before (at least I think I remember hearing that). The difference between the sides on the OL is overstated, but practicing only one side actually makes it a problem.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":w55owfxp said:
Jimjones0384":w55owfxp said:
jlwaters1":w55owfxp said:

I also remember Cable said Joeckel’s guard play in 2016 was the best in the league .... in the end Joeckel didn’t have one great game the whole year, not even good game. Often as problematic as our youngsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jville

Reaction score
Returning to the topic. Those of us outside of the VMAC are rarely ever privy to the complete story as it unfolds ...

I declined to post this earlier but will now quote John P. Gilbert who today re-publish for all to see the following about Odhiambo in 2017 .....
Fans had watched Odhiambo get over matched through most of the first seven games of the season, as he not only struggled in his first extended playing time, but battled dislocated fingers on both hands that required surgery to repair. [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/5/21/17374124/prudence-warranted-seattle-seahawks-look-extend-duane-brown-andrew-whitworth-tackles-age-30s[/urltargetblank]

From November 8, 2017 3:03 pm >>> [urltargetblank]https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/08/lt-rees-odhiambo-placed-on-injured-reserve-needs-surgery-on-both-hands/[/urltargetblank]

Realistically, have we seen what he is fully capable of on a football field? Is it possible that his best is yet to come?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":2h634ew5 said:
People forget we have ranges of people here from youngsters to old stiffs from all walks of life and education levels. Expression is going to be very different across these differences, why staying on topic and addressing posts without the inflammatory dialogue included is important, once things get personal everything goes sideways almost every time. It's also why we have the Shack !

Not only fans but players are known to read fan forums .... keeping conversation on issue, not personal , and with civility go a long way.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
sutz":308h9o79 said:
IIRC, we have several OL that are entering that magical sweet spot of 2-3 years experience who should start to blossom this season.

I don't know if what they did counts as experience, since they were under the anti-tutelage of rhymes-with-unable. So their experience is in doing stuff wrong.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
toffee":5pa6ea24 said:
Seymour":5pa6ea24 said:
Jimjones0384":5pa6ea24 said:
jlwaters1":5pa6ea24 said:

I also remember Cable said Joeckel’s guard play in 2016 was the best in the league .... in the end Joeckel didn’t have one great game the whole year, not even good game. Often as problematic as our youngsters.

I hear ya about cables comments and I know they were bs. It wasn't cable, it was an article from one of the outlets that follows the Seahawks. I have looked and looked, but can't find it.

Rat

Reaction score
He's god-awful. I don't even consider him when I discuss the potential of the offensive line. If he makes the team, everyone who gets cut should get new identities and leave the country in shame.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":t81pm5xb said:
Returning to the topic. Those of us outside of the VMAC are rarely ever privy to the complete story as it unfolds ...

I declined to post this earlier but will now quote John P. Gilbert who today re-publish for all to see the following about Odhiambo in 2017 .....
Fans had watched Odhiambo get over matched through most of the first seven games of the season, as he not only struggled in his first extended playing time, but battled dislocated fingers on both hands that required surgery to repair. [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/5/21/17374124/prudence-warranted-seattle-seahawks-look-extend-duane-brown-andrew-whitworth-tackles-age-30s[/urltargetblank]

From November 8, 2017 3:03 pm >>> [urltargetblank]https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/08/lt-rees-odhiambo-placed-on-injured-reserve-needs-surgery-on-both-hands/[/urltargetblank]

Realistically, have we seen what he is fully capable of on a football field? Is it possible that his best is yet to come?

Any men played with multiple dislocated and broken fingers had heart, and toughness. Odhiambo earned the privilege for another opportunity.

Jville

Reaction score
In Pete's words, they're easing him back into the competition. #70's participation is clearly evident in the Training Camp Web Casts. I would think Odhiambo will see more meaningful reps in the coming practices.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":3lx28n3t said:
In Pete's words, they're easing him back into the competition. #70's participation is clearly evident in the Training Camp Web Casts. I would think Odhiambo will see more meaningful reps in the coming practices.

Thanks Jville, Rees didn't have a good year playing LT and suffered lots of injuries, bruised heart no less. I still see him as an asset for G.

Jville

Reaction score
I guess both Odhiambo and Fant are full go now .......... [tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1024007495658790913[/tweet]...................... compete compete compete :2thumbs:

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":s4yaujax said:
I guess both Odhiambo and Fant are full go now .......... [tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1024007495658790913[/tweet]...................... compete compete compete :2thumbs:

In toffee's homer dream world, one day we will a top 10 OL with Fant at LT, Rees at LG, Pocic at C, Roos at RG and Ifedi at RT. all home grown talent.