Still Love The Seahawks

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2pfz5y2k said:
Maybe.

Personally, I think some of the gloom stuff before is a defense mechanism so they don't get disappointed.

I am not disappointed in the poor performance of this team like I was a year ago, I expect it.

We have Carroll, we have Bevell and we have the problems that this coaching staff has carted around for several years.

This staff has major weaknesses we choose not to address. So we are going to keep having the same problems until something changes. And by changes I do not mean more people getting injured.

Regardless I expect it, enjoy what I can from the games (defense) and enjoy watching Wilson pull the wagon himself despite the poorly devised system his coaches have dropped him into.

We aren't great anymore. We haven't been for several years and I don't think we had some right to stay a dynasty like team like I did. I love the team. I enjoy watching the players and I feel very fortunate to have been a fan and gone to the games during the greatest years of Seahawk history.

As one of the posters pointed out, it would be a very Seahawk thing to beat the Eagles and then just get shelled by Jacksonville. But what is the larger issue is that we probably won't beat the Rams. In the past few years, there have been several must wins against division opponents on the road and at home that we dropped - games that would have given us a better chance at winning the division.

So if the Seahawks want to show that this year is different, they have to win the division. I had them penciled in to win a wild card and then get destroyed in the very next game. Now I am worried about them even getting that far.

But you never know.

Either way, I quit being gloomy about it and just accepted that I needed to radically lower my expectations. It has been an easier year this year because I just expect a reasonable amount of losses. We aren't great and I shouldn't pretend we are. You can love the team, watching the games, and still be aware they really are not contenders anymore and have not been for some time. This is just a good team that is getting worse as more players age.

Awesome post.

kf3339

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1fh2hu4x said:
Maybe.

Personally, I think some of the gloom stuff before is a defense mechanism so they don't get disappointed.

I am not disappointed in the poor performance of this team like I was a year ago, I expect it.

We have Carroll, we have Bevell and we have the problems that this coaching staff has carted around for several years.

This staff has major weaknesses we choose not to address. So we are going to keep having the same problems until something changes. And by changes I do not mean more people getting injured.

Regardless I expect it, enjoy what I can from the games (defense) and enjoy watching Wilson pull the wagon himself despite the poorly devised system his coaches have dropped him into.

We aren't great anymore. We haven't been for several years and I don't think we had some right to stay a dynasty like team like I did. I love the team. I enjoy watching the players and I feel very fortunate to have been a fan and gone to the games during the greatest years of Seahawk history.

As one of the posters pointed out, it would be a very Seahawk thing to beat the Eagles and then just get shelled by Jacksonville. But what is the larger issue is that we probably won't beat the Rams. In the past few years, there have been several must wins against division opponents on the road and at home that we dropped - games that would have given us a better chance at winning the division.

So if the Seahawks want to show that this year is different, they have to win the division. I had them penciled in to win a wild card and then get destroyed in the very next game. Now I am worried about them even getting that far.

But you never know.

Either way, I quit being gloomy about it and just accepted that I needed to radically lower my expectations. It has been an easier year this year because I just expect a reasonable amount of losses. We aren't great and I shouldn't pretend we are. You can love the team, watching the games, and still be aware they really are not contenders anymore and have not been for some time. This is just a good team that is getting worse as more players age.

I certainly agree about lower ones expectations in relation to this team. That is in a lot of ways how I have chosen to watch our Hawks the last several years just to keep myself from getting too worked up over game results. You are correct that we just aren't the same team as several years ago, and our team age (especially on defense) keeps us from being great again any time soon.

So just enjoy the rest of the season. Whatever happens is fine with me.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The decline in talent level is less about age and more about paying all of our stars with appropriate contracts. We probably had $200 million worth of talent on the team in 2013 if you look at all of the contracts players eventually earned. You can't sustain that under the NFL salary cap and so we're forced to compete against similarly talented teams these days.

kf3339":3jkoeu47 said:
It is very difficult on this board to say anything that sounds like criticism or negativity towards the team or coaches without someone questioning your loyalty to the Hawks.
The OP posted a bit of positivity that had no mention of fans at all, then the thread is entirely about fans having the right to express negativity rather than a single response to anything the OP mentioned. Negativity is the norm around here for any subject that includes the offense.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
johnnyfever":24wpf36z said:
sdog1981":24wpf36z said:
I don't get the whole "if you criticize the team your not a fan." logic. I love the Seahawks and you .net posters too. HOWEVER I do have a beef with some of the things the team is doing. Paul Allen is one of the best owners in sports, just look at how much the team has won since he took over in 1997. I trust he will always do the right thing for the Seahawks.
Another resounding "this".

It's not just the OP, or the title of this thread, but mostly in other threads where if you actually care enough to provide corrective measures that could be taken to improve the team we love, somehow your a hater or a sky is falling guy.

If you think all is well in the land of Seahawks, then you are a problematic fan. I watched through decades of mediocrity and don't want to do it again. Complacency is how that happens.

If you are coasting, you are going downhill.

You have the right to express negativity.

You also have the right to call the team mediocre when it isn't, but don't expect everyone to agree with you.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
The “NFL Fan’s Constitution” gives us the unalienable right to be as negative as we want, I quote:

“Amendment I
The NFL shall make no law prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of NFL fans, or of the press, to critique all things NFL; or the right of the fan, or of the press, to call for the firing of any head coach, coordinator, referee, player or NFL commissioner, reasonable or not; or to peaceably assemble and boo, any and all things NFL, not to exclude people, things, or non existing grievances, including Santa Claus.”

Whether it’s healthy, or constructive, to repeatedly do so or not, is another question entirely.