Steve Young - Hawks are "Un-threatening"

Mick063

Reaction score
Young was forced into retirement, against his will, from concerns about him suffering from repeated concussions. That really was the first time I recall the topic being a serious matter for the NFL. The sport has changed dramatically since then. Helmet design, rules evolution, collective bargaining changes. Changes happening from pros to little league. Regardless, my earliest memory of concussions becoming a game changer for the sport began with Steve Young. It really was the first instance I can recall where they just wouldn't let a player continue his career for that specific reason. I wonder if he has opted to donate his brain to research after his demise? Not intended as a joke. I think he should. He was rocked often at the end of his career. He seems normal and coherent with his television presence though. I don't see any signs of it affecting him now nor have I in the past. He is just a Forty Niner homer. Thats all.

Last edited:

m0ng0

Reaction score
Who cares what this guy thinks...it makes no difference except with YOU

Jac

Reaction score
He better hope that's the case because it's back to Trey Lance next year (who they hope will play his first meaningful football in four years at that point).

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Apparently dude has a time machine and still believes, for some reason, against all the evidence to the alternative - that it's NOT WEEK 2 ANYMORE!.

camdawg

Reaction score
So, we're "un-threatening"? A team that can both run and pass on offense? A team that now can stop both the run and pass? A team with excellent special teams coverage units, and a place kicker that's shaken off a previous bad season and is in a groove?

You tell me where the weakness is that an opponent can take advantage of...because right now, I can't find one. That's not to say we can't be beat...but it's going to take a team that plays a complete and mistake-free game.

Our next two games are against teams that have talent, but their seasons are on the brink. So the Cards and Bucs should both play pretty hard against us. If we can somehow win both, the sky's the limit on our season.

Congrats to the Niners for beating us in week two. Let's see what happens in the Clink when those of us who can take the day off, get to do a day of pre-funking and will come into the stadium liquored up, pissed off, and fired up on a Thursday night.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Good that there are talking heads not quite buying in. This only help keep the chip on our guy's shoulders. Coolness!

Unfortunately Mad Dog Russo has bought in..... He's thinking we're building another dominate team. He thinks we'll hit in the upcoming draft like this past draft, and be stocked for years.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
I think "unthreatening" is a poor choice of words. But the evidence thus far points to SF being better than the Seahawks. Yes, they're a game behind us, but they thrashed the Seahawks in week 2. They shut out Geno and the offense. Yes, the Seahawks are playing better defense and offense now than in week 2. But the 49ers have improved as well. It'll be a real test of the whole team when they play again. It'll absolutely be a different game than the first one (the Seahawks will threaten, for sure!), but I certainly will be using it as a gauge of where the Seahawks are at.
They were better in September. The Seahawks have improved quite a bit. I don't follow the 49ers much if they're not on television, but we're at least even now.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Steve has a thing against Pete I think. He was entirely dismissive of us in the week 1 pregame against the Broncos and has yet to guve up his position entirely that we're just a nice story that's bound to end before the season does.

As to posts that say the 9ers are obviously better? They may have been better in week 2 but I certainly don't see that now. And I certainly don't think they have a better qb than we do. Running game? We are solid. Defense? The last 3 weeks, we've been as good as anyone in the league.

And remember that in that week 2 contest, our defense was still getting acclimated, we had yet to run the ball effectively, and the score could gave EASILY been 13 - 7 at one point had we just played it straight instead of letting our 2nd string RB attempt a pass that should have never been taken out ofnthe hands of our MVP qb. We also had a huge play to DK called back on a BS penalty. Both plays could have changed the complexion of that game entirely.

But you live and you learn.

The 9ers under Garapolo don't scare me. If anything, they should be afraid of the hype train the Hawks will be riding over them when they come into town. We were embarrassed by them when we went down there. Our D in particular will be eager to set the record straight. That game will without a doubt bring with it the intensity of our old rivalry. And this time, we will be ready.

As to Steve Young, dude was a great QB, he's pretty smart, but he's a bit of a wiener if you ask me. Never had the class of the guy he replaced in SF.

Steve Young can kick rocks. Will be great to watch him try to save face after the Hawks pound his former team into submission.
The 9ers might be better head to head and they may very well sweep us, but I think we'll still win the division anyway. If we split with the Rams, we have a better than good shot to win the West even with a 9er sweep, so it really doesn't matter if we're a 'threat' to them or not if we finish 2 games ahead