Steve Young - Hawks are "Un-threatening"

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
This is not a "Can you believe Steve Young dissed the hawks!". He does show respect to what the hawks have done, but doesn't think they are a threat to the 9ers. A different view from all the love we have been shown by the media lately. I like SY's take on a lot of things NFL, but would like to see him eat crow after our TNF matchup.

Aircrew

Reaction score
After San Fran curb stomped us in week 2, and given what a 49er homer Steve Young is, I'm not surprised by his take. However, he clearly hasn't been paying very close attention to how the Hawks are playing. And let's not forget, Geno Smith has been playing quite a bit better than Jimmy G. It'll be close, but I give Seattle the edge over Santa Clara on TNF and in the NFC West this year.

StoneCold

Reaction score
As I was reading the article, I get what he's saying. Seattle is still in a "prove it" state. The last 3 games we've played with very few errors. It's just my gut, but it feels like we can keep that up. Geno has been such a steadying presence, and i don't know what;'s really happened to the D, but they also seem calmer while also being more aggressive. If we can't, if we get too many false starts or holding penalties, if on D we fail to wrap people up, we will as any team would, struggle.

This is what you call genius analysis. I should get a spot on ESPN pregame shows.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I get the ‘prove it’ thinking, but this for sure is bulletin board material.

The team was humiliated by the 9ers last game and have some work to do to get even for that last thrashing. This will be some further motivation if they in fact need any.

chrispy

Reaction score
I think I recall him guaranteeing the Broncos would win in his pre-game MNF pick in week 1.

I like Steve Young. My daughter had surgery in the wing he paid for at Utah Children's Hospital so I tend to give him more authority than I should sometimes. However, on this subject, this year, against his old team, I think he's lost objective credibility.

Predicting a 9rs win is one thing. The 22 Seahawks as "unthreatening" is a stretch too far.

Torc

Reaction score
I think "unthreatening" is a poor choice of words. But the evidence thus far points to SF being better than the Seahawks. Yes, they're a game behind us, but they thrashed the Seahawks in week 2. They shut out Geno and the offense. Yes, the Seahawks are playing better defense and offense now than in week 2. But the 49ers have improved as well. It'll be a real test of the whole team when they play again. It'll absolutely be a different game than the first one (the Seahawks will threaten, for sure!), but I certainly will be using it as a gauge of where the Seahawks are at.

OP
OP
LeveeBreak

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I think "unthreatening" is a poor choice of words. But the evidence thus far points to SF being better than the Seahawks. Yes, they're a game behind us, but they thrashed the Seahawks in week 2. They shut out Geno and the offense. Yes, the Seahawks are playing better defense and offense now than in week 2. But the 49ers have improved as well. It'll be a real test of the whole team when they play again. It'll absolutely be a different game than the first one (the Seahawks will threaten, for sure!), but I certainly will be using it as a gauge of where the Seahawks are at.
I agree with the poor choice of words, but I don't see evidence from the last 4 weeks that indicate the 9ers are better. I think they are both playing on par with the best teams in the league. Coupled with being a game behind, that makes the hawks thier biggest threat as of now. Let the drama unfold.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I didn't even know "unthreatening" was a word. Shouldn't it be non-threatening?

Either way, meh, he's a Niner homer I wouldn't expect Young to say anything different.

You know what the difference is though between the Niners, Rams and Hawks? The Niners and Rams have completely mortgaged their future by taking on expensive trades and free agents, so they HAVE to win now........and the Rams did last year, so good for them.

But with the talent the Niners have on their roster? They better damn well win this year, because the Hawks are building another decade of division titles.

toffee

Reaction score
Professional (read paid) analysts, and amateur (read unpaid) analysts like us, have two things in common: We offer opinions, and we do not dictate outcomes. With that, Steve Young's opinion, ain't nothing but an opinion. Pete Carroll and our boys, can do real things to influence the outcome, they offer actions, not opinions.

rjdriver

Reaction score
No doubt the Niners are loaded from top to bottom.

BUT

It's Jimmy..

Dude has games where he shows abysmal decision making and a lack arm strength. Every time the Niners take the field, you never know if this is a 4 pick/ 0 third down conversion type of game. The Niners can beat anyone, but they can also lose to anyone. I'll take Geno under pressure more than Jimmy G any day.

Also, I've never found Steve Young to be as articulate and erudite as some portray. Yeah, I know he has a law degree (must have been tough to get into the school named after your great great great Grandpa). I'm sure he's a bright guy, but I frequently have seen long, incoherent ramblings that never circle back to a point when I've watched him.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I hate the 9ers with a burning passion, but they are a great team. Gotta beat these guys if we want to get to the post season

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BUT

It's Jimmy..

Dude has games where he shows abysmal decision making and a lack arm strength. Every time the Niners take the field, you never know if this is a 4 pick/ 0 third down conversion type of game. The Niners can beat anyone, but they can also lose to anyone. I'll take Geno under pressure more than Jimmy G any day.

Why do you think Lynch and Shanahan are spending most of their cap trying desperately to surround Jimmy with as much talent as possible so he never has to win a game by himself ever again. Between C-Mac, Kittle and Deebo they'll score 24+ points just with dump off passes and screens.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
Steve has a thing against Pete I think. He was entirely dismissive of us in the week 1 pregame against the Broncos and has yet to guve up his position entirely that we're just a nice story that's bound to end before the season does.

As to posts that say the 9ers are obviously better? They may have been better in week 2 but I certainly don't see that now. And I certainly don't think they have a better qb than we do. Running game? We are solid. Defense? The last 3 weeks, we've been as good as anyone in the league.

And remember that in that week 2 contest, our defense was still getting acclimated, we had yet to run the ball effectively, and the score could gave EASILY been 13 - 7 at one point had we just played it straight instead of letting our 2nd string RB attempt a pass that should have never been taken out ofnthe hands of our MVP qb. We also had a huge play to DK called back on a BS penalty. Both plays could have changed the complexion of that game entirely.

But you live and you learn.

The 9ers under Garapolo don't scare me. If anything, they should be afraid of the hype train the Hawks will be riding over them when they come into town. We were embarrassed by them when we went down there. Our D in particular will be eager to set the record straight. That game will without a doubt bring with it the intensity of our old rivalry. And this time, we will be ready.

As to Steve Young, dude was a great QB, he's pretty smart, but he's a bit of a wiener if you ask me. Never had the class of the guy he replaced in SF.

Steve Young can kick rocks. Will be great to watch him try to save face after the Hawks pound his former team into submission.

toffee

Reaction score
Steve has a thing against Pete I think. He was entirely dismissive of us in the week 1 pregame against the Broncos and has yet to guve up his position entirely that we're just a nice story that's bound to end before the season does.

As to posts that say the 9ers are obviously better? They may have been better in week 2 but I certainly don't see that now. And I certainly don't think they have a better qb than we do. Running game? We are solid. Defense? The last 3 weeks, we've been as good as anyone in the league.

And remember that in that week 2 contest, our defense was still getting acclimated, we had yet to run the ball effectively, and the score could gave EASILY been 13 - 7 at one point had we just played it straight instead of letting our 2nd string RB attempt a pass that should have never been taken out ofnthe hands of our MVP qb. We also had a huge play to DK called back on a BS penalty. Both plays could have changed the complexion of that game entirely.

But you live and you learn.

The 9ers under Garapolo don't scare me. If anything, they should be afraid of the hype train the Hawks will be riding over them when they come into town. We were embarrassed by them when we went down there. Our D in particular will be eager to set the record straight. That game will without a doubt bring with it the intensity of our old rivalry. And this time, we will be ready.

As to Steve Young, dude was a great QB, he's pretty smart, but he's a bit of a wiener if you ask me. Never had the class of the guy he replaced in SF.

Steve Young can kick rocks. Will be great to watch him try to save face after the Hawks pound his former team into submission.
If my ancient memory is indexing correctly, Pete's defense gave Young's offense a hard time at practice when Pete was DC of 49ers so that could be that.

In the last three games, PFF graded these two teams:

Overall:
Hawks: 76.4 - 80 - 79.2
49ers:. 64.7 - 63.5 - 75.9

Offense:
Hawks: 72.3 - 71.5 - 70.4
48ers: 72.4 - 74.9 - 73

Defense:
Hawks: 73.2 - 80.2 - 74.3
49ers: 49.5 - 46 - 67.8

We were 3-0, they were 1-2. We played Zona (#30) - Bolts (#27) - Giants (#31) ; they played Falcons (#13) -Chiefs (#2) - Rams (#15). Their opponents were tougher?

Make no mistake, we were graded higher nevertheless.

Last edited:

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
After San Fran curb stomped us in week 2, and given what a 49er homer Steve Young is, I'm not surprised by his take. However, he clearly hasn't been paying very close attention to how the Hawks are playing. And let's not forget, Geno Smith has been playing quite a bit better than Jimmy G. It'll be close, but I give Seattle the edge over Santa Clara on TNF and in the NFC West this year.
Also they added CMC since we last played. I think whether or not he’s healthy will determine the winner.

sutz

Reaction score
He's projecting. Worried about how much better the Hawks are now vs earlier. We'll see.

Latest posts