Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3rus5wo7 said:
So curious what some of you who know the league more then I do think will happen in the playoffs. I watch most Timber games but don't pay much attention to the league in general.

Don't know if its true or not but I kind of get the impression that Portland was a great story in the regular season but might not be a real threat to actually win it all?

Since most of you are Sounders fans, let me ask this way: If its not the Sounders, who do you think will come out of the west?

Sounders Beats Colorado
Houston Beats Montreal

RSL Beats LA
Seattle Beats Portland on PK's (this series is going to be intense, and brutal, and will make national headlines in the sports community)
New York beats Houston
KC Beats New England

Seattle Beats RSL
KC Beats New York

Seattle Beats KC

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
So, You all want to talk line-ups for tomorrow?

Oba is 90% certain to be out.
Leo should be back.

That said...this is my line-up:

----------------Gspurning---------------
Yedlin------Hurtado-------Traore---Leo
----------------Alonso---------------
----Rosales-------------------Evans----
---------------Dempsey----------------
--------EJ----------------Neagle-------

If Leo doesn't go, Burch will be back there.

If Leo can go...you can be DAMN sure that you'll see Burch as a sub to close this game out...I suspect for Neagle at about 65-80.

Rosales will probably play 75ish minutes....unless things arent going well. Then he'll go 90.

You'll probably also see Rose and or Moffat as additional subs for defensive reasons.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
My biggest issue with Sigi isn't even his lineup & substitution decisions, although they do leave a lot to be desired at times, it's the fact that he doesn't seem to have complete control of the team. Several times this season players were acting out of control, on the pitch & off, and Sigi was nowhere around. And the fact that it carried on throughout the season showed me that he wasn't doing much to address it or change it.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
JSeahawks":12wewaqw said:
So curious what some of you who know the league more then I do think will happen in the playoffs. I watch most Timber games but don't pay much attention to the league in general.

Don't know if its true or not but I kind of get the impression that Portland was a great story in the regular season but might not be a real threat to actually win it all?

who do you think will come out of the west?

Smart money's probably on LA. They could give a damn about the regular season, it seems.

My head tells me RSL's the biggest threat to win the west, though. They're what the Timbers want to be.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":21h4gk30 said:
My biggest issue with Sigi isn't even his lineup & substitution decisions, although they do leave a lot to be desired at times, it's the fact that he doesn't seem to have complete control of the team. Several times this season players were acting out of control, on the pitch & off, and Sigi was nowhere around. And the fact that it carried on throughout the season showed me that he wasn't doing much to address it or change it.

I really disagree with this assessment.

When a player has an outburst (Oba's sub, EJ's Pay me) he doesn't deal with it on the spot. He lets them have the moment. Then takes care of the situation behind closed doors.

He is very much in command of this team.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Last post before late-late tonight. Enjoy the match lads!

[youtube]m_K9sbnPhzM[/youtube]

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Good all round performance by the Sounders. Gspurning really let his team mates down though, what was he thinking? Chest it, header it, do whatever. I think the ref would only have booked him if he hadn't shoved the Colorado player as well, kind of forced his hand. Bring on Portland. When is Martins back? Is his season over?

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Gspurning just f'ed up....

Thats a keeper with no confidence. He also had a moment earlier when he spilled the ball in the box. He should have just punched it clear. He nearly did us in tonight.

It's a very good thing that the difference in quality between our #1 and #2 keepers is a small one. I have total faith in Marcus to get the job done.

Martins failed to make the 18 tonight.....again. He's missed 7 of the last 8. I would home he is on the mend and coming back. Saturday is a short turn around again, I would put him at 40% chance of playing, with a larger chance for playing the second leg.

One thing to keep an eye on during this series is yellow card accumulation. Guys that picked one up tonight are in danger of missing the second leg if they pick another one up on Saturday (EJ, Ozzie, Looking at you).

Not the best game they've ever played, but we are turning the corner, and at the right time.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
That was a bit better... dominant defending basically throughout. a nice pacey, creative attack. Only concern would have been the lack of finishing.

Marcus will be fine in net. May not give the spot back to be honest

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I think getting a fairly comfortable win after a poor streak could be huge for the Sounders. Gives them a lot more confidence. Dempsey is starting to play like the player everyone thought he was. I wonder if Rosales is being rested for Saturday. Is Yedlin okay?

I think the Sounders need to win at least 2-0 on Saturday to take to Portland if they are to go through.

knownone

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1c8tt6gj said:
I think getting a fairly comfortable win after a poor streak could be huge for the Sounders. Gives them a lot more confidence. Dempsey is starting to play like the player everyone thought he was. I wonder if Rosales is being rested for Saturday. Is Yedlin okay?

I think the Sounders need to win at least 2-0 on Saturday to take to Portland if they are to go through.
Even a 1-0 victory would be suffice. Portland is not the most dynamic attacking team, so getting a lead going into the second leg puts a lot of pressure on a team with very little playoff experience.

If Yedlins out, it has to be Rosales at RM right?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They won!!! Almost gave it away in the end but EJ struck again late. They should keep Brad Evans at Right back. The USMNT did and he played well. He should be Yedlin's replacement. What's the word on Yedlin's injury?

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Word during the game last night is that he came off with an ankle sprain. Its unknown yet how severe it is. I would be hesitant to say he'll be ready for Saturday.

Assuming he can't go, Evans or Scott to RB....I would prefer it be Evans...but its Portland so it'll probably be Scott. If Evans is at RB then we are either looking at Mauro at RM, or Moffat will switch over there and Burch will play on the left. Both are good options. Mauro would probably indicate a more attacking mindset, Burch a more defensive one.

I do not envy the ref's for these games. How they call the match will have a great influence.

This is going to be fun.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Smurf":2w2t3smd said:
Word during the game last night is that he came off with an ankle sprain. Its unknown yet how severe it is. I would be hesitant to say he'll be ready for Saturday.

Assuming he can't go, Evans or Scott to RB....I would prefer it be Evans...but its Portland so it'll probably be Scott. If Evans is at RB then we are either looking at Mauro at RM, or Moffat will switch over there and Burch will play on the left. Both are good options. Mauro would probably indicate a more attacking mindset, Burch a more defensive one.

I do not envy the ref's for these games. How they call the match will have a great influence.

This is going to be fun.

Pfft don't put Scott at RB. He's too slow! It has to be Evans and Rosales at RM.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3ry41rv4 said:
Smurf":3ry41rv4 said:

This is going to be fun.

Pfft don't put Scott at RB. He's too slow! It has to be Evans and Rosales at RM.

Rosales gives you very little in the form of defensive cover. In that instance you are really looking at 4 defenders, 2 mids, and 4 attackers.

In our new diamond formation that is simply not going to work. Rosales is going to have to defend. All match, and hard. I have a tough time seeing him start the match.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Yedlin appears to be a game time decision.

Oba close, but I don't think he's ready yet.