KitsapGuy

Reaction score
OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":18upoq3p said:
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundersfc/2013/11/13/si-report-sounders-shopping-eddie-johnson-to-other-teams-in-mls/

So where might he go? Well, there was a tweet from a Canadian reporter Tuesday that Toronto FC could be interested . For a Sounders team always up against the salary cap, a trade to an Eastern Conference team for allocation money might be ideal if indeed the team is looking to unload Johnson.

https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/4 ... 3236633600

Not surprising, but part of me wonders if this could be a negotiation technique as well...

...do you really want more money if you're going to have to play your football in Toronto....

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":13jb7rbr said:
Smurf":13jb7rbr said:
Reports are coming in. The Sounders front office have decided that Sigi is there guy. Sigi will be coach next season.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... right-man-

mistake...

At least they made a call.

There is stability in that roll. No questions entering the season. Sigi is the guy. Let's build it from there.

Sigi, Dempsey, Alonso, Evans.

Thats the back bone of this team right now, that is what we build it around.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1r7587e5 said:
Uncle Si":1r7587e5 said:
Smurf":1r7587e5 said:
Reports are coming in. The Sounders front office have decided that Sigi is there guy. Sigi will be coach next season.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... right-man-

mistake...

At least they made a call.

There is stability in that roll. No questions entering the season. Sigi is the guy. Let's build it from there.

Sigi, Dempsey, Alonso, Evans.

Thats the back bone of this team right now, that is what we build it around.

what are you building on?

a notoriously ineffective coach with a midfield that was overrun and a defense that was left chasing shadows by division rivals.

yeah, they made a call... it was a bad one.

I'm calling you out here Smurf. if you want to be taken seriously as a fan.. hell, if you want to be taken seriously as a franchise, as a league, a coach like Sigi needs to be shown the door. what other soccer league in the world would allow a similar situation to continue unchanged? this is the sh-- that happens when you let supporters choose their GM.

one cannot rip on Timbers fans for being pessimestic about overcoming RSL then turn around and try and endorse this move or line of thinking. Before you know it you're the soccer version of the Mariners. The Sounders were blown away by their bitter rivals. and I mean blown away. outplayed, outcoached, outclassed. and yet they cared little enough about yet another early bow out of the playoffs by rehiring the same manager.

Caleb Porter was out there, and the Timbers got him. There are a whole generation of coaches similar to him available. Seattle chose to stay with someone who consistently is outcoached for the sake of consistency...

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
I was 50/50 on keeping Sigi. Yeah, things haven't gone as well as we'd all hoped. Thats true. Sh-- the bed in consecutive post season appearances....No good.

On the same token, who do you bring in to replace Sigi? and whoever we do bring in there is no guarantee of success like Porter.

Am I a fan of the decision to keep Sigi? No. Am I unhappy about it? No. There is something to be said about stability in any sports franchise.

That's where I stand. Their are some who are in the same boat as me, some who scoffed at the idea of keeping sigi, and some who scoffed at the idea of getting rid of him. This is a very split decision, which ever way they went it was going to make people unhappy. I just happy to have been OK either way.

I am a very optimistic sports fan. It takes a lot for me to call for a coaches head....a lot....I've only done it once, and that was with Jim Mora...and I was weeks ahead of most with that opinion.

I think we can win with Sigi. I do. The players he has at his disposal right now? I'm not so sure. I think there needs to be some work done.

Those players I mentioned? Those players arent going anywhere. They are the heard of the team. They are staying. Players like EJ, Oba, Gspurning....they could be gone. I'm pretty sure EJ is 70% of the way out the door and I absolutely hate that. I think EJ has done wonderful things for this club and I want him here. I think he is a big part of this teams current identity.

Also, I'd like to correct a statement you made. Supporters choose the GM....sure...that comes down to players....not coaches. The call to keep Sigi was made by the ownership.

This team is going to retool, and return next season gunning for that cup. I think they can get it done.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
There are a few things I know to be a fact.

Osvaldo Alonso is staying.

Brad Evans will be re-signed.

Clint Dempsey is staying.

DeAndre Yedlin is staying.

Besides that everyone is fair game and anything could happen.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":jo7yjapz said:

if Dempsey ends up back in the PL I wouldnt be so sure he's coming back to the MLS....

also, why have a GM if he didnt have any say in the decision to re-hire the manager. Lets be clear, thats part of his job. if he wasnt consulted, he shouldnt be there

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":326wcste said:
Smurf":326wcste said:

if Dempsey ends up back in the PL I wouldnt be so sure he's coming back to the MLS....

also, why have a GM if he didnt have any say in the decision to re-hire the manager. Lets be clear, thats part of his job. if he wasnt consulted, he shouldnt be there

Dempsey will be back next season. I believe him when he says he's committed to this club and winning an MLS Cup. Also don't think the club/league would let Dempsey leave like that. Don't think Dempsey wants to leave the league as a failure either.

As for the GM thing, clouded issue.. He was consulted...as he did make the decision, but not as the GM. He made it as part of the Ownership group.

Adrian Hanauer is both GM of the Sounders and Minority owner.

There is a reason that Joe Roth made the statement and not Hanauer.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
GK Marcus Hahnemann has just come out and confirmed that he will be returning next season.

Oba Martin's was quoted in an Italian paper as wanting to return to Europe. Specifically he wants to play for Mancini at Galatasary in Turkey. He wants to make Nigerias world cup roster.

Not sure if this means loan or if we will sell him.