Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Crizilla

Reaction score
Something about it just doesnt look NBA/NHL standard still. We needed the full blown separate brand spankin' new arena.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Crizilla":1dqhginy said:
Something about it just doesnt look NBA/NHL standard still. We needed the full blown separate brand spankin' new arena.

Not happy unless you're not happy.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Crizilla":33usd1y5 said:

I think it would have been easier for sure. I still dont get the 'we need to save the roof' part of all this, but not a lot about this arena adventure has made sense honestly.

But I do think it'll be nice when its complete, impossible to get to and get home! :D But its probably going to be pretty nice when complete.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1y26alx0 said:
Sgt. Largent":1y26alx0 said:
chris98251":1y26alx0 said:
They could do it in Kent or Everett or HEC ED or what used to be called Hec Ed Pavillion.

The Kings? Really the ones that held out and held out on a buy out and flipped the bird at Seattle when we tried to buy them initially or Hansen I should say, Is the NBA and Seattle City Council doing a double bird flip to Hansen and the Sonic fans here?

Yeah the Kings is the only part of this that irritates me.

That's tone deaf on Silver and the NBA's part, to think we'd embrace a pre-season game with the team the league did their best to block coming here.

Durant and the Warriors I understand, we love KD.

I say we sell out the place with everyone wearing Sonics gear, and just scream Go Sonics for 48 minutes ignoring the game entirely.

Ahh better yet start the Super and other side of the arena Sonics Cheer.

I actually do think this is going to happen.

There's a LOT of pissed off We Want our Sonics Back fans that are going to make this game their rally cry to let the league know they aren't going away until we get our team back.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18cn75iy said:
chris98251":18cn75iy said:
Sgt. Largent":18cn75iy said:
chris98251":18cn75iy said:
They could do it in Kent or Everett or HEC ED or what used to be called Hec Ed Pavillion.

The Kings? Really the ones that held out and held out on a buy out and flipped the bird at Seattle when we tried to buy them initially or Hansen I should say, Is the NBA and Seattle City Council doing a double bird flip to Hansen and the Sonic fans here?

Yeah the Kings is the only part of this that irritates me.

That's tone deaf on Silver and the NBA's part, to think we'd embrace a pre-season game with the team the league did their best to block coming here.

Durant and the Warriors I understand, we love KD.

I say we sell out the place with everyone wearing Sonics gear, and just scream Go Sonics for 48 minutes ignoring the game entirely.

Ahh better yet start the Super and other side of the arena Sonics Cheer.

I actually do think this is going to happen.

There's a LOT of pissed off We Want our Sonics Back fans that are going to make this game their rally cry to let the league know they aren't going away until we get our team back.
I'm very pissed but I don't want a Sonics redux if you will.
They stole the team like sneaky thieves..I haven't followed the NBA since.
Would rather the new team be just that ..New name and all
Even then I can't say I'd be a fan.The game is not the same.
The memory of that Championship is something they cannot touch
and I'm glad I was there to see it.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
So yesterday Bonderman and Bruckheimer said that they also want to own an NBA team on top of NHL. Having the same owners probably helps with any scheduling issues between the two leagues and one of them is already a minority owner of the Celtics so has the connections. Given the random NBA preseason game that has just been scheduled, is it likely something is happening behind the scenes with the NBA. Expand to us and Mexico city?

I doubt they would have hinted at the NBA yesterday unless there was something. possibly happening.

Does this also kill SODO and Chris Hansens attempted completely? If so, I wonder what happens to all the SODO land...it certainly won't be going to the port unless the city make him sell it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2e1vootf said:
So yesterday Bonderman and Bruckheimer said that they also want to own an NBA team on top of NHL. Having the same owners probably helps with any scheduling issues between the two leagues and one of them is already a minority owner of the Celtics so has the connections. Given the random NBA preseason game that has just been scheduled, is it likely something is happening behind the scenes with the NBA. Expand to us and Mexico city?

I doubt they would have hinted at the NBA yesterday unless there was something. possibly happening.

Does this also kill SODO and Chris Hansens attempted completely? If so, I wonder what happens to all the SODO land...it certainly won't be going to the port unless the city make him sell it.

Basketball and Hockey are two different animals when it comes to expansion.

The NHL doesn't have the insane bajillion dollar TV contracts divided equally between all the owners, so the expansion money is FAR more important to hockey owners than it is to the NBA owners who aren't down with expansion, which means having to share the lucrative TV with one or two more owners.

So yes, I believe that Bonderman is serious when he says he wants to own an NBA team (he's already a minority owner in the Celtics), but if I had to guess, it'd be a relocated team and not expansion.

But the good news is he's already part of the club (unlike Hansen), so he'd be #1 on the list for relocation and new ownership once Key Arena is done if there's a floundering franchise.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":uqa32wkh said:
Sgt. Largent":uqa32wkh said:
Glasgow Seahawk":uqa32wkh said:
website down already?

It's back up

https://www.nhlseattle.com/

Apparently its really slow and they are telling people to use the ticketmaster app. Good sign that there's at least demand.

I swear they do this on purpose, so that when the nightly news and national sports media talks about it they can say "OMG SO MANY PEOPLE WERE TRYING TO GET TICKETS THE SITE CRASHED!!!"

It's good PR.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ehfyjaz said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3ehfyjaz said:
Sgt. Largent":3ehfyjaz said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3ehfyjaz said:
website down already?

It's back up

https://www.nhlseattle.com/

Apparently its really slow and they are telling people to use the ticketmaster app. Good sign that there's at least demand.

I swear they do this on purpose, so that when the nightly news and national sports media talks about it they can say "OMG SO MANY PEOPLE WERE TRYING TO GET TICKETS THE SITE CRASHED!!!"

It's good PR.

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/stat ... 9618706432

If true...wow

DJrmb

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":hekhivxi said:
Sgt. Largent":hekhivxi said:
Glasgow Seahawk":hekhivxi said:
Sgt. Largent":hekhivxi said:

It's good PR.

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/stat ... 9618706432

If true...wow

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NHLSeattle_/status/969287601231417344[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1q592upw said:
This should come as a surprise to absolutely no one familiar with Seattle area politics, but a group of local property owners are looking to challenge the Key Arena renovation plan.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/no- ... enovation/
Won’t let me past the paywall.

Is it the AstroTurf group “Citizens with nothing better to do”? Led by Chris Van Dyke (aka Van Dick).

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":preg1d18 said:
SeatownJay":preg1d18 said:
This should come as a surprise to absolutely no one familiar with Seattle area politics, but a group of local property owners are looking to challenge the Key Arena renovation plan.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/no- ... enovation/
Won’t let me past the paywall.

Is it the AstroTurf group “Citizens with nothing better to do”? Led by Chris Van Dyke (aka Van Dick).
Here's the relevant quote from the article.

Seattle Times":preg1d18 said:
In a wide-ranging, 17-page letter, Seattle land-use lawyer Courtney Kaylor, representing the owners of the Expo and Astro apartment complexes, writes that a draft version of the EIS “is replete with incomplete and inconsistent statements’’ and should be “revised and republished and subject to additional public comment.’’

Kaylor argues that since KeyArena is city-owned, the EIS should treat it as a “public project” requiring the examination of alternative arena sites under state law. The failure to do that alternative-site study, she adds, means the process “is therefore inadequate on its face.’’

chris98251

Reaction score
It would seem to me that this group has no basis, this has been discussed 10 years or more very publicly and concerning multiple plans and sites, if they had a legitimate axe to grind it should have been presented then, this appearing to be a group wanting to use a stall tactic to possibly discourage the NHL or NBA from coming here.