Some perspective on how tough the NFL is

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are probably the greatest coach/QB combo in the history of football.

Tom Brady was a good QB when they won their 3 Super Bowls early in his career so I would be hard-pressed to say that he carried the team in those games and it was more like he didn't lose it.

In 2007, Tom Brady became basically a top-3 QB. Tom Brady turned 30 that year.

So think about that, with one of the best coaches in the game and one of the best QBs in the game - the Patriots took 7 years to win another Super Bowl and they almost didn't win that one.

I just wanted to basically say that winning a Super Bowl is difficult and everything has to come together until the end for it to occur. This year, obviously, things didn't fall perfectly for us but we made a hell of a run considering.

Moreover, we are led by a top-5 QB who is 27 and a young #1 defense. So I think we are going to have a few more chances but I think this year taught us that we aren't always gonna come back from non-sense.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm just happy that I got to see the Seahawks win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. Any more championships at this point for me is pure gravy.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Aros":3lhpiwyh said:
I'm just happy that I got to see the Seahawks win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. Any more championships at this point for me is pure gravy.
Same here. I always said that outside of the obvious things in life e.g. good health, a great mate, good lives for my family and friends, making a decent living, etc. all I ever wanted were 2 things.....1) to own a Harley and 2) the Seahawks to win a Super Bowl. Desires realized on 3/13/09 and 2/2/14.

I do think we'll get a couple more championships in the next decade though.

OP
OP
TDOTSEAHAWK

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Aros":1dzupohf said:

I am obviously happy for that but I am also happy to able to enjoy this amazing run of Seahawks football as a whole.

Being a Jays fan (just ended the longest playoff drought in sports) and tolerating the Raptors/Leafs who also stink give me perspective on how nice it is to follow a well run team. Also, being close to Buffalo for so many years gives me perspective on how bad franchises can be.

Greenhell

Reaction score
As difficult as it is for a team to get to the Super Bowl and win, I gotta say, I like our chances for the next 5 years minimum. Early in his career, Wilson said his goal is to win four Super Bowls. I see no reason why Wilson and CO couldn't win 3 more before it's all said and done. :th2thumbs:

hoxrox

Reaction score
Greenhell":3bg1kpk8 said:
As difficult as it is for a team to get to the Super Bowl and win, I gotta say, I like our chances for the next 5 years minimum. Early in his career, Wilson said his goal is to win four Super Bowls. I see no reason why Wilson and CO couldn't win 3 more before it's all said and done. :th2thumbs:

I agree that our window wide open. We had a major SB hangover, holdouts, etc and still almost made it back to the NFC championship game.

Plus there are really no dominate teams in the NFL this year. The overall quality was OK. Panthers and Cards had the best record in the NFC, but we handled the Cards pretty well. We will likely compete with those 2 teams again for HFA next year. All we need is HFA and then pretty confident we'll be back to the SB.

Greenhell

Reaction score
hoxrox":jw48tese said:
Greenhell":jw48tese said:

I agree that our window wide open. We had a major SB hangover, holdouts, etc and still almost made it back to the NFC championship game.

Plus there are really no dominate teams in the NFL this year. The overall quality was OK. Panthers and Cards had the best record in the NFC, but we handled the Cards pretty well. We will likely compete with those 2 teams again for HFA next year. All we need is HFA and then pretty confident we'll be back to the SB.

The goal every year has to be, win the division first. That's a big part in controlling the post season destiny.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Aros":2vnzwv6y said:

I was ALL IN for that superbowl season. Watched EVERY press conference EVERY week. Watched EVERY chalk talk, watched all the sound FX and watched a ton or sports shows about the Hawks so that season will always be super special for me...I lived Seahawks for that whole season

After we lost to Atlanta the year before I said it was superbowl or nothing and im so glad they came out and gave the fans a party in the 2nd half of the superbowl. No stress or anything we just got to party as we won our first superbowl. Percy Harvin started the party off with his return td :D

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Aros":2b7es2z4 said:

Same here. So happy we witnessed a championship. It made this year's exit so much easier to take. And last year's Super Bowl loss would have been even more excruciating if that would have been our first ring we threw away in the final seconds.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Aros":38x91eu9 said:

This ^

I told my son back in 2010 or 2011 that all I wanted to see before I died was the Seahawks win the superbowl. Since then, I've developed an amazing career, married a beautiful and intelligent woman, we have healthy and happy children and the sky is the limit - so another superbowl win by the Seahawks is just more to add to the beauty of it all.

My son is scared $hi@less however as, now that we have won one, he's not sure how much longer I have. :th2thumbs:

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Aros":1xie04wy said:

Same here. I have also been lifelong fan of the Maple Leafs and watching them lose season after season really takes a toll on you, I am just glad one of my teams won a championship in my lifetime.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":3ro6zrou said:
Aros":3ro6zrou said:

Same here. I have also been lifelong fan of the Maple Leafs and watching them lose season after season really takes a toll on you, I am just glad one of my teams won a championship in my lifetime.

I said this last year, but I think I was just trying to make myself feel better after the brutal SB loss.

Now? I'm greedy, I want 3-4 Lombardi's. I see the talent on this team and how special Russell is, and there's no reason that we shouldn't get to another couple SB's, and win at least one more during his time in Seattle with this core group and Pete/John.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":340f3sr0 said:
TorontoHawk":340f3sr0 said:
Aros":340f3sr0 said:

I said this last year, but I think I was just trying to make myself feel better after the brutal SB loss.

Now? I'm greedy, I want 3-4 Lombardi's. I see the talent on this team and how special Russell is, and there's no reason that we shouldn't get to another couple SB's, and win at least one more during his time in Seattle with this core group and Pete/John.

Its interesting, and a good OP. If you look back at the Brady era, and that long long gap between Super bowls, you see a massive shakeup in the roster. And even back when Brady won the first three, that roster changed in terms of high caliber players...

The one constant was Brady and Belicheck. Really, their best attribute is how they adapt year in and year out. The Seahawks are set up differently. This team has alot of talent, young talent. It is primed for many years of playoff football... much like the Patriots, but with a stronger "core"

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
What is clear to me is that each time we made it to the SB we won our Division. That ought to be our goal.......and not tolerate a 10-6 season.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Great OP..and well defined. Dunno about this year as it is not played out for them. Whatevers....

One question or comment, they kinda paid for last years SB tho didnt they? ...purchasing Revis and Butthead to seal the deal.

I suppose that would solidify the argument posed by the OP tho. They surround themselves with (the force..er uh nevermind) supporting characters that buy into the championship mantra. Even if it is for only one year.

evergreen

Reaction score
they were a miracle catch away from going 19-0 and another highlight catch from yet another super bowl. And Kearse's catch should've been the third miracle catch to beat them. Now they'll probably get another win this year. Extreme jealousy. I was ready for us to take over the NFL and end their dynasty. Didn't go down that way. But at least they didn't go undefeated (Carolina too!).

Crizilla

Reaction score
evergreen":2m0gd27d said:
they were a miracle catch away from going 19-0 and another highlight catch from yet another super bowl. And Kearse's catch should've been the third miracle catch to beat them. Now they'll probably get another win this year. Extreme jealousy. I was ready for us to take over the NFL and end their dynasty. Didn't go down that way. But at least they didn't go undefeated (Carolina too!).

Yup it's a shame we were that close to creating a dynasty and possibly ending NE's run (though they probably would have still won at least one more super bowl before Brady retired). But we completely blew it and now NE probably goes back to back again. This Seahawks team has raised the bar. Another super bowl win is expected soon. Anything less it's a failed season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
justafan":14mrfplj said:
It was bad playcalling every time they lost.
I wouldn't say every time and it's the only reason for losses, but it's a MAJOR factor IMHO.

Latest posts