Softy: Cristine Michael as kick returner?

kearly

Reaction score
I agree with Silva's observations 100%. Great review.

Turbin is Mo Morris. Michael is Ahman Greene. If Seattle just wants their #2 RB to pass block and catch passes, then putting Turbin #2 is understandable. But in terms of running talent, Michael is better and there really isn't even much of a comparison.

Tical21

Reaction score
Doesn't just about everybody have 3 active RB's every week? Hopefully Michael gets a few looks at KR this week, but for now I would think Jermaine is #1 on the depth chart. It wouldn't surprise me if we didn't put the same guy back there every time. Michael would be my first choice, but he hasn't earned it as of yet.

Kearly seems to see the same thing in Turbin that I do. Runs a lot smaller than he is. I think he would be best served to lose 20 lbs and get faster. The extra weight doesn't help his style, and if anything it makes him a little top heavy to where he doesn't have great balance. Once he starts to go down, he can't adjust. I'm not bashing on Turbin. He's a pretty explosive dude. Just nitpicking.

Atradees

Reaction score
kearly":1u0clthw said:
I agree with Silva's observations 100%. Great review.

Turbin is Mo Morris. Michael is Ahman Greene. If Seattle just wants their #2 RB to pass block and catch passes, then putting Turbin #2 is understandable. But in terms of running talent, Michael is better and there really isn't even much of a comparison.

You mean that Chris 10 will fumble alot? I hope he has more upside than that.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Tical21":tg679rho said:
Doesn't just about everybody have 3 active RB's every week? Hopefully Michael gets a few looks at KR this week, but for now I would think Jermaine is #1 on the depth chart. It wouldn't surprise me if we didn't put the same guy back there every time. Michael would be my first choice, but he hasn't earned it as of yet.

Kearly seems to see the same thing in Turbin that I do. Runs a lot smaller than he is. I think he would be best served to lose 20 lbs and get faster. The extra weight doesn't help his style, and if anything it makes him a little top heavy to where he doesn't have great balance. Once he starts to go down, he can't adjust. I'm not bashing on Turbin. He's a pretty explosive dude. Just nitpicking.

Most teams don't have a real fb. Still think its moot and we'll activate 3 rb and 1 fb a game.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Does Kearse have K/O return locked up? I know he took one to the house but has he even had another attempt? Seems like they would want to see if that return was a fluke or not before they would commit.

Does anyone remember if he was used last preseason as a returner? If so how did he do?

Maybe he has been tearing it up in practice but it is just as likely he has had ball security issues in practice so they have eliminated him as an option.

Have they tried him at PR? I don't remember.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
I don't view him as a natural kick returner but whatever. I just don't want him to be ridiculed if he bobbles a few. I'd rather have Tate as a punt returner and Kearse as for now as a kick returner.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Thinking of the future, Lynch will not be here for much more than a few more years, so we need to have the next guy ready. At this point I would have to say that guy is Michael. Turbin is in his second year now and is in all honesty a good backup for Lynch. With a bit of playing time in the bigs I honestly think (my opinion only) Michael could be Lynch’s equal! Then factor in that we got rid of Leon Washington to make room for Harvin. So without either of those guys here there is room for both Turbin and Michael. Were Harvin here, this is a much different conversation. One that I think would leave Turbin vulnerable to a trade.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Yakima Hawkster":38fs7u98 said:
Softy was addressing what Holmgren said about it. Personally, I would keep both regardless. They both have great upside and could be a powerful 1-2 punch in the future if Lynch ever starts to break down physically.

Correct. Holmgren made the point that it would be very rare to have 3 RB active on gamedays (not a question of them all making the roster) when none of those 3 RB play special teams. Softy's point was that in order to have all 3 active, should Michael be a kick a returner (like Leon)? It is actually not a bad thought considering what Holmgren said.

Mich and Hugh Millen also discussed it this morning. The .Net-hated Hugh said that if you have to pick just one to be active on gameday, you probably go with the better pass blocker on 3rd downs, and Hugh thinks that is Turbo, despite his whiff on Clay Matthews last week

TJH

Reaction score
Turbin is probably the most overrated player ont his board. People get cought up on how he looks and assume he is some kind of bruising runner. He is soft, and not particularly eluisive. I would trade him if we had the option. Michael is a far superior runner in every way and I have faith he will learn to block.

pehawk

Reaction score
Is it true that Softy actually discussed whether Michael makes this team? I heard that secondhand from a Cowgirls fan. So, I'm not too sure.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
HawkWow":3b4fklqk said:
ZERO chance Michael needs to be concerned about a spot on the roster. Turbin's another story. He has about a 1% chance of losing his spot.

I think Michael should return kicks. Absolutely.

Your wrong. Turbin has 0% chance of getting cut. Turbin is clearly ahead of Michael in pass blocking. He's a valuable asset to this team. I don't really understand the amount Turbin is discounted. He's a good player. He's by far the best backup we've had since I've been a Hawks fan- Since 2003.

Both Michael and Turbin give SEattle the deepest Rb corps Seattle has ever had.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
pehawk":3gjpxkxm said:
Is it true that Softy actually discussed whether Michael makes this team? I heard that secondhand from a Cowgirls fan. So, I'm not too sure.

No its not true. Softy discussed what Holmgren said, which was that it would be rare to see a team have 3 active RBs on gameday when none of them play special teams. Softy was wondering if Michael could return kicks as a way to make sure he was active on gamedays.

I heard no discussion regarding whether Michael or Turbin would both make the team.

TwilightError

Reaction score
There is no way eithet Turbo or Michael will be cut. It just will not happen. But I still like the idea of having Michael returning kicks and punts. He would spin move a whale of yards.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
It's a nice luxury to able to discuss which of our backup running backs are better than the other. They both make the team and until Michael proves he's an efficient pass blocker, the backup job remains Turbans and I'm OK with that for now.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Having seen Michael run through that Packer DB on the sideline, it'd be fun to see him return a few kicks on Thursday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Michael is making it about as hard as he can for Pete to leave him off the roster. Why not try him returning kicks and/or punts?

Has there ever been three RB's on a roster when none of them play special teams?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
XxxZagnutxxX":28rjq8ik said:
It's a nice luxury to able to discuss which of our backup running backs are better than the other. They both make the team and until Michael proves he's an efficient pass blocker, the backup job remains Turbans and I'm OK with that for now.

Seriously. We are SO LOADED at RB.

Turbin is a fine pass-catcher and is usually a decent blocker, too. He's not #1 RB material like Michael is, but the value of a #2 RB and change-of-pace back cannot be understated. I hope we activate four RB/FB each game and just run the ball 55-60% of the time, sprinkling in lots of PA. This offense will be deadly.