Should we go ahead and try signing someone?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The Breh":10urij8i said:
Spin Doctor":10urij8i said:
The Breh":10urij8i said:
This place is a complete embarrassment :34853_doh:
March 13th and the season is a lost cause for some of you.
We've let go of injury ridden/aging, costly or unproductive players to clear cap space (whom likely you've had no problem bashing on the way out) and haven't IMMEDIETLY filled their spots and y'alls attitudes are defeated.

Zero faith for the future.
Zero faith in who IS on our roster.
Zero faith in finding guys via draft or trade for guys with a competitive beating heart.

You guys are insufferable.

Someone needs to pinch y'all and remind you we dropped our 2 most debilitating problems in recent years. Neither of which sport a helmet on Sunday's.

When other teams fans say we got the worst fan base, I can't even argue with them.
Between what I've read on here over the years, first hand accounts in person and have seen on FB it's nothing short of a bunch of :pukeface:

I'm sure your 12 flags will come back out when it's nice and convenient tho.

Life your life with a glass half empty, folks.
If we are insufferable then you could go elsewhere. You don't need to read, or criticize other people just because they have a different view than you do. If we were a hive minded, monolithic bunch this place would be boring. This kind of talk happens on every forum, and it even happened on the superbowl winners forums when their starting QB went down. Right now you are not discussing, you are calling out/claiming people are not real fans, just because they are not happy the way the team is going. That is not cool.

People that are not happy with the hawks at the moment have some valid reasons behind them. We don't have to be rah, rah and support every decision our FO makes, most of rarely do. Rather than call people out, why don't you defend your position? Discourse with fellow 'Hawk fans is what keeps us all coming back to this forum time, and time again. You don't have to agree with the certain members of the fan base, and that is alright. What you wrote, however was just a veiled attempt of calling others who do not share your point of view 'not real fans'.

That is the kind of thing that I find "insufferable".

I directed this at no one person in particular, not the board as a whole.
Those most offended by my post are probably the ones I'm talking about.

Defend my position ?
I started out with why I was upset. Here you go since everything after that made you forget what my points were in the first place-

"This place is a complete embarrassment :34853_doh:
We've let go of injury ridden/aging, costly or unproductive players to clear cap space (whom likely you've had no problem bashing on the way out) and haven't IMMEDIETLY filled their spots and y'alls attitudes are defeated.

Zero faith in finding guys via draft or trade for guys with a competitive beating heart."

Then a sentence later-

"Someone needs to pinch y'all and remind you we dropped our 2 most debilitating problems in recent years. Neither of which sport a helmet on Sunday's. "

Look-I'm not the only one not digging the dramatic pessimism in here I see.

Being upset we haven't pulled the trigger yet when FA doesn't officially start until tomorrow ?
The season being a lost cause already on March 13th ?
Why are we outraged around here and talking so pathetically :34853_doh:
Are ANY of the players we've lost come as any kind of shock ??
Were those that are upset not aware we had jack shit in $ to spend before deciding to release those guys ? Being a fan you know their recent injury history and how risky and costly it was going to be to retain them, no?
Every single guy we lost had a MAJOR "?" next to their name going into offseason.

Hawks fans have been spoiled for some time now and when the near future isn't crystal clear *immediately*, then the season is lost, we're 4-12, fire JS, etc...
My post wasn't veiled at all. Simply citing what can be read at your leisure in any one of the recent threads since losing Bennett-today and how garbage some of the opinions are.

This place mirrors FB too much with the knee-jerk shit. Have some damn patience.
I guess I'd expect less casual sounding whining here, but-I'll temper my expectations :3-1:
Again, if you don't like this place then you don't have to stay. You're essentially whining that others don't have the same opinion as you, or the same rosey outlook. You also have not sat down, and actually read what other people are saying if you think that people have these opinions based on just this off-season. You're drawing a hasty generalization of one place based on opinions you don't like, nor care to understand.

Let me sit you down and school you on WHY people have these opinions because you don't care to understand the viewpoint that you're whining about. (Which FYI you're doing the same thing the people you're complaining about are doing). First off, people are unhappy with JS for his track record dating back to 2013. It is not a recent development. Since 2013 we have drafted quite miserably. From 2013 to 2016 we have only four starters left from those years that we drafted (Clark, Britt, Ifedi, and Reed) among those -- Reed thus far mostly used as a rotational guy, and and Ifedi was rated as one of the leagues worst lineman this year.

Whats worse is the absurd amount of capital we gave up for Jimmy Graham, and Percy Harvin and what little return we got when you consider how much we gave up. Then you also have to consider the significant amount of draft capital, and money we we spent on guys such as Richardson, and Brown. The Richardson deal is looking as if it is a one year lease at this point. Then when we consider how little we sent Bennett away for you have to start wondering, how good is John Schneider really?

As far as Pete Carroll goes, the team has been getting worse since 2015. Each year the record and stats have been slowly declining. There have been red flags raised, and some valid concerns made about this teams future under JS and perhaps even Pete Carroll.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2ym2n466 said:
The Breh":2ym2n466 said:
Spin Doctor":2ym2n466 said:
The Breh":2ym2n466 said:

Zero faith in finding guys via draft or trade for guys with a competitive beating heart.

Someone needs to pinch y'all and remind you we dropped our 2 most debilitating problems in recent years. Neither of which sport a helmet on Sunday's.

When other teams fans say we got the worst fan base, I can't even argue with them.
Between what I've read on here over the years, first hand accounts in person and have seen on FB it's nothing short of a bunch of :pukeface:

If we are insufferable then you could go elsewhere. You don't need to read, or criticize other people just because they have a different view than you do. If we were a hive minded, monolithic bunch this place would be boring. This kind of talk happens on every forum, and it even happened on the superbowl winners forums when their starting QB went down. Right now you are not discussing, you are calling out/claiming people are not real fans, just because they are not happy the way the team is going. That is not cool.

People that are not happy with the hawks at the moment have some valid reasons behind them. We don't have to be rah, rah and support every decision our FO makes, most of rarely do. Rather than call people out, why don't you defend your position? Discourse with fellow 'Hawk fans is what keeps us all coming back to this forum time, and time again. You don't have to agree with the certain members of the fan base, and that is alright. What you wrote, however was just a veiled attempt of calling others who do not share your point of view 'not real fans'.

Defend my position ?
I started out with why I was upset. Here you go since everything after that made you forget what my points were in the first place-

Zero faith in finding guys via draft or trade for guys with a competitive beating heart."

Then a sentence later-

"Someone needs to pinch y'all and remind you we dropped our 2 most debilitating problems in recent years. Neither of which sport a helmet on Sunday's. "

Being upset we haven't pulled the trigger yet when FA doesn't officially start until tomorrow ?
Were those that are upset not aware we had jack shit in $ to spend before deciding to release those guys ? Being a fan you know their recent injury history and how risky and costly it was going to be to retain them, no?
Every single guy we lost had a MAJOR "?" next to their name going into offseason.

Hawks fans have been spoiled for some time now and when the near future isn't crystal clear *immediately*, then the season is lost, we're 4-12, fire JS, etc...
My post wasn't veiled at all. Simply citing what can be read at your leisure in any one of the recent threads since losing Bennett-today and how garbage some of the opinions are.

This place mirrors FB too much with the knee-jerk shit. Have some damn patience.
I guess I'd expect less casual sounding whining here, but-I'll temper my expectations :3-1:
Again, if you don't like this place then you don't have to stay. You're essentially whining that others don't have the same opinion as you, or the same rosey outlook. You also have not sat down, and actually read what other people are saying if you think that people have these opinions based on just this off-season. You're drawing a hasty generalization of one place based on opinions you don't like, nor care to understand.

Let me sit you down and school you on WHY people have these opinions because you don't care to understand the viewpoint that you're whining about. (Which FYI you're doing the same thing the people you're complaining about are doing). First off, people are unhappy with JS for his track record dating back to 2013. It is not a recent development. Since 2013 we have drafted quite miserably. From 2013 to 2016 we have only four starters left from those years that we drafted (Clark, Britt, Ifedi, and Reed) among those -- Reed thus far mostly used as a rotational guy, and and Ifedi was rated as one of the leagues worst lineman this year.

Whats worse is the absurd amount of capital we gave up for Jimmy Graham, and Percy Harvin and what little return we got when you consider how much we gave up. Then you also have to consider the significant amount of draft capital, and money we we spent on guys such as Richardson, and Brown. The Richardson deal is looking as if it is a one year lease at this point. Then when we consider how little we sent Bennett away for you have to start wondering, how good is John Schneider really?

As far as Pete Carroll goes, the team has been getting worse since 2015. Each year the record and stats have been slowly declining. There have been red flags raised, and some valid concerns made about this teams future under JS and perhaps even Pete Carroll.
I owe you a beer. Great fact filled post.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I'm calling it now. Seahawks sign Virgil Green. Desperate for a legit blocking tight end.

original poster

Reaction score
Guys does anyone know the last time the Seahawks made a day 1 free agency signing?

This is nothing new. Lets get the crazy contracts out of the way then see where we stand. Although I'll be the first to say I'd have been OK with paying Andrew Norwell $13.3M per...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":65zjx36f said:
The Breh":65zjx36f said:
Spin Doctor":65zjx36f said:
The Breh":65zjx36f said:

Defend my position ?

Then a sentence later-

Again, if you don't like this place then you don't have to stay.

Pretty much this.

I don't expect this team to be competitive in 2018. They offloaded too much talent. Bennett, Sherman, Graham, Richardson, inevitably Kam and Avril - that's too much production to lose in one year without any Day 2 draft picks and with much of their cap room headed to a Duane Brown extension (and maybe Earl). Those players may have been old, expensive, and oft-injured, but they weren't non-productive. Their stats show that.

The question is whether we'll be competitive in 2019. I hope so. I can endure a down year. It's not really the end of the world.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Every team is spending the same amount of money and therefore the more talented teams are the ones who get better value for that same money. Players on their initial rookie contract can be an amazing value and rookies who you extend early can still be a good value into their second contracts.

On the other hand, the winner's curse in free agency says that winning an auction with perfect information will nearly guarantee overpaying and getting poor value in return. Of course information is not completely perfect in real life and so maybe your FO can be smarter about how to use a star FA than all of the other 31 teams. That is far more likely, however, as you look at increasingly lower profile players with less information available. Look at the Hawks entire history in FA and pretty much every acquisition that turned out well was either a reclamation project, playing on a one year prove it deal, and/or had some connection where we didn't have to outbid all 31 other teams.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The Breh":207aibsr said:

You get a standing ovation from me. I agree with every word.

But, it’s just human nature, some of us are optimists, some are pessimists, we all have different viewpoints and at the end of the day we’re all seahawk fans so we need to try and get along.

chris98251

Reaction score
I expect today to be so quiet as far as signing new F.A that you could do this.

Hn spu

original poster

Reaction score
Wouldn't be at all surprised if both Murray and ASJ walk out the building with new deals, certainly ASJ.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'll pass on Murray and his 3.6 YPC average last season. Since leaving Dallas and that top 5 oline, he has averaged 3.9 YPC with better lines than ours in Philly and Tennessee.
In contrast, Carson averaged 4.2 YPC here with a way worse oline.

Osprey

Reaction score
AgentDib":2cdatyql said:
Every team is spending the same amount of money and therefore the more talented teams are the ones who get better value for that same money.
Not entirely true. There is a hard cap, but it's a rolling one so some teams have more money in a given year due to savings in a previous one. That's a leading theory currently: that the Hawks will be looking to save dollars this year and roll it into 2019 when they will be 'more competitive'.

I'm not sure I subscribe to the above theory given Pete's age and competitive spirit. This years Free Agency will be interesting either way it goes.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Osprey":2ckicjfl said:
There is a hard cap, but it's a rolling one so some teams have more money in a given year due to savings in a previous one.
Right, there are short-term things you can do to go all in, such as our contract restructures last year and trading future picks for help now. Nobody does the long-term thing. The Browns tried last year and have a ton of picks this year as a result, but Sashi was fired over it and it's a new group reaping the benefits of his austerity. If the Hawks have money to burn then using it on extensions is a great way to go.

The point is that sort of thing is not sustainable and over the long-term the only way to have more talent than your rival is to have players at a better value and that means more rookie contracts and QB contracts and less UFA contracts. That's why I thought the Rams were more talented than we were last year but it's a short term thing and they are already paying for it this off-season as their value contracts start to hit free agency (losing Watkins and Johnson so far this week).

mikeak

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3s4xpmn9 said:
With what money? :34853_doh:

We have $27MM in cap space without having cut Avril

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

Then for next year we are looking at $97 million. We can easily spread some money via signing bonus etc

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying lets go waste money, but we can sign pretty much anybody and work it out fine

The issue is more not overpaying for really good players. We prefer overpaying for crappy players....

Latest posts