Should the Seahawks draft for a new QB?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":2h2bv47k said:
Sgt. Largent":2h2bv47k said:
Our FO has HORRIBLY failed at drafting and developing backups, which IMO is the biggest reason we traded for Hunley, he's the type of QB that you can hopefully develop not only into a competent backup, but for trade value down the road.

Isn't Hundley in the last year of his contract?

Yep, but my guess is we'll try to give him a reasonable backup salary type extension.

Or who knows, I've given up trying to guess the reasons our FO does some of the trades we do. We just let a good DT go and now have to pay him anyway. Brilliant.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14nvav1l said:
You should ALWAYS be drafting and developing QB's, if not to replace your current starter but to trade for valuable picks....Our FO has HORRIBLY failed at drafting and developing backups, which IMO is the biggest reason we traded for Hunley, he's the type of QB that you can hopefully develop not only into a competent backup, but for trade value down the road.

I would say our FO has failed HORRIBLY at drafting.......period.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":68fhtsug said:
Mizak":68fhtsug said:
They should start looking for the next Wentz, Goff, Watson, or Mahomes. Let Wilson teach the future Seahawks QB.

Best thing Wilson could teach a new QB is giving him the keys to the shark cage.

No QB can flourish with a jailbreak oline, and that is the best Pete Carroll can build.

Don't disagree on the difficulty any QB would have when beset like Wilson is by severe pressure and all his hurries hits and the league leading number of sacks he takes.

Objective evidence is mixed on this above opinion about an inability to create an effective Oline. Pete has had better an average Olines in the past and even here, but the team is less than season away from the Cable Fable that he could create beef from bull's feet. An effective RT and stronger OG play would fix a lot of Wilson's ills very dramatically.

Don't think the team should draft a new Qb yet, but rather need to sell out to improve the RT position and obtain some pass rushers.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkerD":3bt1vbyo said:
Sgt. Largent":3bt1vbyo said:
You should ALWAYS be drafting and developing QB's, if not to replace your current starter but to trade for valuable picks....Our FO has HORRIBLY failed at drafting and developing backups, which IMO is the biggest reason we traded for Hunley, he's the type of QB that you can hopefully develop not only into a competent backup, but for trade value down the road.

I'd say mediocre to poor the last 3-4 years.........and certainly nowhere near the hit rate of the first three years.

I said it before, I think Pete came out of college with a head start on scouting because he already had scouting information on just about every player in the draft, and took advantage with John, who's background was in scouting. Fast forward 5-6 years later, and that advantage has evaporated, and even deteriorated.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
No.

Certainly no QBs worthy of early pick. But we don't have many picks to begin with (1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th). Can't waste it on a project QB this year.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Yes absolutely should ...trade Russ for all you can get. Don’t think it will happen as long as Pete is coach

xray

Reaction score
If Wilson wants 30-35 million to stay then they should trade him and maybe get a first or high second round pick. If Wilson does what Brady has done play for less and give the Hawks more $$ to deal with then no . Too bad that it's all about money and not football anymore. :irishdrinkers:

adeltaY

Reaction score
When was it not about money? Also I'm curious what salary you think Wilson should take for his next extension for you to be comfortable with the Hawks keeping him. Give us a dollar amount per year

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
adeltaY":38mvvcxl said:
When was it not about money? Also I'm curious what salary you think Wilson should take for his next extension for you to be comfortable with the Hawks keeping him. Give us a dollar amount per year
I think what Wilson is getting paid right now is too much in the context of a Pete Carroll team. I would be okay with paying him a big sum if Pete Carroll was gone, and he was replaced by a guy who knows offense, or is at least a defensive guy who is willing to concede control over the offensive side of the ball.

Decimation

Reaction score
I mean you’re not wrong though..

Our QB situation has to be one of the most unique in the league. Is it smart to pay someone like Russ 30m+ a year?

Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But whatever benefits the team towards getting another ring I’m all for it. I love Russ but we have so many issues on this team that need improvement. Mostly on offense.

It’s a weird time being a Seahawks fan. I love Russ, but he’s too expensive to build a team around. I love him and hope he retires as a hawk, but this team needs to win another Super Bowl if he’s with us for the long term.

Our front office will make the best decision. I’m not a coach or work in the back end of operations, but this team needs to figure out its identity. Russ balls out when stuff hits the window.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Mizak":27yxj0jf said:
They should start looking for the next Wentz, Goff, Watson, or Mahomes. Let Wilson teach the future Seahawks QB.

Wilson is only in his 7th year.

I assume you're implying the RW cannot get the job done.

Remember 2012 and those comebacks. RW has the "it."

Finding another "Wentz, Goff, or Mahomes" is very difficult to do. Many QBs drafted high don't pan out.

Watson? No, thanks.

Why waste a high pick on a QB that might not pan out when RW is only in his 7th year.

Jville

Reaction score
Mizak":2zk7x8ry said:

Maybe ........ in about 2028.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Jerhawk":sr5obf4v said:
We already have Mr. Mcgough. He's the future
I like McGough also. To me he's like a more athletic version of Kirk Cousins or Dave Krieg.
The Hawks seem to like him also, enough to guarantee his whole year's salary as a Practice Squad player.

With Hundley being in the final year of his contract, McGough looks like a good developmental backup QB. Hundley as our emergency QB for this season, then rental over. Thanks to Rat and Sgt. Largent for pointing out Hundley's final year situation. Some other team pays Hundley, and then McGough slides into the QB2 role with a year of seasoning, and at least 3 more years of team control. Seems like a good plan if McGough keeps developing.

toffee

Reaction score
The team should have drafted another QB in mid low rounds years ago. As backup and as trade bids like NE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2mbfitg4 said:
Look at all the picks the Patriots have got for trading their backups.
- Cassell 2nd round pick (Cost: 7th round) - Win
- Mallet 7th round pick (Cost: 3rd round) - Loss
- Brissett traded for a starting WR (Cost: 3rd round) - Push
- Garoppolo 2nd round pick (Cost: 2nd round) - Loss

Keeping in mind a draft pick in the following year is worth a round lower in the current year, the Patriots have 2 losses, 1 push, and 1 win on those QBs.

Seems like a lot of juggling picks for no real gain or even a net loss.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
HawkerD":1301i95k said:
Sgt. Largent":1301i95k said:

Then you don't understand the crapshoot that is drafting. There are several advanced stats out there showing that the Seahawks have gotten more draft value out of their picks than any other team in the Schneider era.

But live in your insular world that ignores the fates of 31 other FO's.

I'd say we are one of the best drafting teams out there. You only have to look at the Browns and all the great draft capital they've spent finishing last every year to realize what Horrible Drafting (tm) looks like.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Seahawkwalt1967":2tg1mtch said:
Yes absolutely should ...trade Russ for all you can get. Don’t think it will happen as long as Pete is coach

Long time ago, like after using him to win 2 Super Bowls, which they would have done if they used the money wasted on him to build the team around him. They could have had multiple high draft picks from Cleveland or Buffalo for Wilson, and the entire team would have changed. If they kept the D as good or better and plugged in any competent QB with a great O line and RB, they would be better over the last few years, and now.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
jeremiah":qxls2lbc said:
Seahawkwalt1967":qxls2lbc said:

Long time ago, like after using him to win 2 Super Bowls, which they would have done if they used the money wasted on him to build the team around him. They could have had multiple high draft picks from Cleveland or Buffalo for Wilson, and the entire team would have changed. If they kept the D as good or better and plugged in any competent QB with a great O line and RB, they would be better over the last few years, and now.

Having a great OL, RB, and Defense is probably even more expensive than paying a good QB.

We didn't decline because we paid Russ. We declined because we paid Earl, Sherm, Kam, Bobby, Bennett, Avril and KJ. That led to less money for offense so guys like Okung, Carpenter, Tate, Richardson, Sweezy all left. And we lost our depth on defense.

Its hard to keep great teams together because of the salary cap. No one does it including the Patriots. The only key contributor that you can rely on keeping upright and healthy is the QB. So you pay them.

In the Russell Wilson era, the Niners, Rams and Cards have started 22 QB's. Where are the Niners rings from keeping a great D, OL and RB and living with merely competent QB's? It all fell apart for them pretty darn quickly. Faster than it did for the Hawks.