Shotty and Russ same page?

McGruff

Reaction score
xray":36ex51on said:
this is Wilson's offense..deal with it...Schotty has a head set for looks .

What if it wasnt working?

Whose offense would it be then?

Fade

Reaction score
Pete still has a vice grip on what they are doing. I wish Pete would butt out and go worry about his defense, that is the side of the ball that needs more coaching help. I think Schotty in cooperation with Russ would be even better given total freedom.

But hey, beggars can't be choosers. The offense is doing great things as is. Though believe it or not it would get better if adjusted to 30-35 throws a game, featuring heavy playaction. I think anymore than that is the tipping point where it starts to get into diminishing returns, and It starts to become detrimental. Pete seems to want to keep it at 20-25. That is leaving too much meat on the bone, and puts too much pressure on an avg defense to hold the opponent down. He doesn't have the LoB anymore. He needs more points.

Tical21

Reaction score
In games where Russ has thrown 30+ times, our record is abysmal, and his efficiency is significantly lower than games where he throws less. I’m pretty content with being 4-1 and having a QB that is a MVP favorite.

John63

Reaction score
Tical21":2k6a3qi4 said:
In games where Russ has thrown 30+ times, our record is abysmal, and his efficiency is significantly lower than games where he throws less. I’m pretty content with being 4-1 and having a QB that is a MVP favorite.

Half the story as usual, we also did not have a system built for that and we do now. Example this year has 2 games of 30+, we are 1-1 however Wilaon has 5 tds, 0 int, 74% Comp and 118 qb rating. So as I stated we did not have the players needed on the past for throwing 30+ but we do now, when needed.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":2wvwkpp3 said:
Tical21":2wvwkpp3 said:

Half the story as usual, we also did not have a system built for that and we do now. Example this year has 2 games of 30+, we are 1-1 however Wilaon has 5 tds, 0 int, 74% Comp and 118 qb rating. So as I stated we did not have the players needed on the past for throwing 30+ but we do now, when needed.

Disagree, when you have to throw that much you are usually playing catch up all game and are having issues with turnovers and no ability to control the ball.

xray

Reaction score
McGruff":2b7g2gfl said:
xray":2b7g2gfl said:
this is Wilson's offense..deal with it...Schotty has a head set for looks .

What if it wasnt working?

Whose offense would it be then?
Wilsons

capncrunch

Reaction score
ttown0026":2ujq1hs0 said:
The play calling has been so much better this year. I feel like the Hawks are way less predictable. They are adding in play-action on first down more than they have in the past. Hopefully play-action and quick passes are here to stay.

Yes. This is excellent. I like the playcalling this year. I like that we were able to run and pass a lot in the last two games. I am glad we are not a team that passes almost every down. It seems like we are much better in the screen game now which was lacking forever. OUr tight end passing is now awesome. I like how we get some deep balls to running backs occasioanally. I suspect Russ and Schotty should share credit and blame. Pete is influencing too. Great season. Let's see another 30 point game next week.

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
Fade":1czs1nwf said:
Pete still has a vice grip on what they are doing. I wish Pete would butt out and go worry about his defense, that is the side of the ball that needs more coaching help. I think Schotty in cooperation with Russ would be even better given total freedom.

But hey, beggars can't be choosers. The offense is doing great things as is. Though believe it or not it would get better if adjusted to 30-35 throws a game, featuring heavy playaction. I think anymore than that is the tipping point where it starts to get into diminishing returns, and It starts to become detrimental. Pete seems to want to keep it at 20-25. That is leaving too much meat on the bone, and puts too much pressure on an avg defense to hold the opponent down. He doesn't have the LoB anymore. He needs more points.

This, 100%.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":369raau1 said:
Yes they are, and they have been since last year.

But it is a whole another level.

I do resent the continued implication that when it goes well, its Russ calling the plays. And when it doesnt, its Schottys fault.

Well when one has an actual prior record of achievement, and the other one doesn't, that's what you're gonna get.

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":1y9309kb said:

You're confusing causation with correlation.

Wilson isn't allowed to throw 30+ times unless they are getting their asses kicked. So of course the record isn't going to look good. He usually tears it up regardless and brings the team back from whatever deficit to boot.

I am proposing a more balanced attack that would still be run heavy, featuring heavy playaction where they throw it about 5-10 times more a game. A typical Seahawks game they have Wilson throwing about 25 times. They bump that number to 32 throws a game, they would score somewhere from 3 (floor) to maybe as much as 7 (ceiling) more points per game on avg. as efficient as Wilson is.

Again I think once you hit the 35 throw mark it would level off drastically and be diminishingreturnsville in terms of winning football games. Pete is leaving a lot of meat on the bone, for dogma reasons. He coaches his teams the pretty much the same way regardless of his personnel. He has his beliefs and he is sticking to them, no matter how what.

Whether he has the LoB or the LoL.

McGruff

Reaction score
Fade":1t9hqycj said:
Tical21":1t9hqycj said:

Wilson isn't allowed to throw 30+ times unless they are getting their asses kicked. So of course the record isn't going to look good. He usually tears it up regardless and brings the team back from whatever deficit to boot.

I am proposing a more balanced attack that would still be run heavy, featuring heavy playaction where they throw it about 5-10 times more a game. A typical Seahawks game they have Wilson throwing about 25 times. They bump that number to 32 throws a game, they would score somewhere from 3 (floor) to maybe as much as 7 (ceiling) more points per game on avg. as efficient as Wilson is.

Again I think once you hit the 35 throw mark it would level off drastically and be diminishingreturnsville in terms of winning football games. Pete is leaving a lot of meat on the bone, for dogma reasons. He coaches his teams the pretty much the same way regardless of his personnel. He has his beliefs and he is sticking to them, no matter how what.

What would you say is our best offensive game so far this year?

Fade

Reaction score
McGruff":ppxtermk said:
Fade":ppxtermk said:
Tical21":ppxtermk said:

What would you say is our best offensive game so far this year?

That is a loaded question. I am talking schematically, so I will answer it that way.

The Seahawks don't run playaction and RPO enough to satisfy my tastes. So I would say none of them, yet. They have the best playaction QB in the game, and they are #1 in passing DVOA. Which is reason enough to pass more. They should be running playaction more than any other team, to marry with their run heavy attack.

Schematically, the first half of the AZ game, and the 1st half of the Rams game is the closest to what they should look like. So maybe they are coming around, and as the season goes along they'll continue to grow. But what it should really look like is what Shanahan is doing with the 49ers. Their playaction is married perfectly with their run game. And teams do not know what's coming run or pass on a snap by snap basis because it all looks the same. Seattle is very splintered, and situational. While beating inside zone read from the gun to death.

McGruff

Reaction score
Yeah, grading teams for scheme style is a non starter.

All that matters is production. Style points dont win games.

Fade

Reaction score
McGruff":3s4pi4rx said:
Yeah, grading teams for scheme style is a non starter.

All that matters is production. Style points dont win games.

Yeah, and when they pass, they are productive. Like #1 in the league to be exact. So how dare I bring forth the idea they throw the ball a tick more, and marry it better with their run game, right? :2thumbs:

McGruff

Reaction score
20 runs and 12 passes by my head count in the first half of the Rams game.

Fade

Reaction score
McGruff":qitspq01 said:
20 runs and 12 passes by my head count in the first half of the Rams game.

And the Cardinals game?

Fade

Reaction score
McGruff":14220cqz said:
17 passes and 11 runs.

They threw it more than they ran it. Now if you could give me that, with the playaction passes they ran against the Rams in the 1st half. I think we would be getting close to what I am hoping for.

29 passes vs 31 runs. 32 passes vs 28 runs with more playaction would be even better.

#1 passing DVOA 57.0%
#19 running DVOA -5.6%

McGruff

Reaction score
DVOA is trash IMO for individual plays and games.

Maybe over the course of a season it means something, but football is far to complex a game for it to be isolated minutely.

I've long been of the opinion that when you break down the results that matter, which is wins and losses, you will find that neither run first nor pass first makes much of a difference.

It's not what you do. It's how you do what you do.

Fade

Reaction score
McGruff":2c1bb0uw said:
DVOA is trash IMO for individual plays and games.

Maybe over the course of a season it means something, but football is far to complex a game for it to be isolated minutely.

I've long been of the opinion that when you break down the results that matter, which is wins and losses, you will find that neither run first nor pass first makes much of a difference.

It's not what you do. It's how you do what you do.

What?
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff/2019

As of week 5. The whole season thus far. Minus tonight's game of course.

As if the eyeball test wasn't enough.

Latest posts