Sherman injury thread (Officially Out for season)

xStickybudz

Reaction score
Uncle Si":gsqypsv4 said:
Will they? Not sure I have faith in the coaches
This is what I’m concerned about right now, we lost a very good corner but this should NOT be our season ender. If our coaches can game plan for this then the drop off can be mitigated. But I dunno if they have it in them

xgeoff

Reaction score
When I saw Sherman walking on the sideline after the injury I knew he was done, and I knew it was a ruptured Achilles. I had the exact same injury, and walked in the exact same manner. That injury is extremely difficult to recover from. You lose practically every bit of strength in that tendon and calf muscle :(

BigBill1945

Reaction score
On the bright side, Achilles injuries used to be career ending incidents. Surgery to re-attach the achilles tendons is much more refined. Recovery from surgery usually takes about 6 weeks. At this point, weight bearing is allowed. It will be a little uncomfortable once Richard starts rehab. It usually takes around 6 months for a player to return to full activity on average. The heel cord will be tight because of healing and shortening of the muscles and tendon. The gastrocnemius the bigger muscles and more superficial one and the soleus muscle (the deeper one) attaches to the Achilles tendon. Often what you will see with these injuries with total tears is the the muscle will role up like a shade. The surgeons have to re-attach these muscles. Physical therapy will consist of progressive stretching, range of motion, and strengthening. As he improves he will be progressed to balance, proprioception activities (knowing where he is in space), and finally to agility drills. I know Richard will be back at full strength by next summer.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1y5pg6n4 said:
Will they? Not sure I have faith in the coaches

I think we can if Earl can come back and stay healthy the rest of the year. Get Maxwell in here, or Vontae Davis.............someone who can come in and quickly learn our system and technique.

But if we gotta play Lane full time at a DB position? We're screwed, he's awful.

As far as Sherman goes, it's heartbreaking. Cause realistically with next year being the final year of his deal and his cap hit is 13M? Last night could be the last time we even see him in a Hawk's uniform.

Exittium

Reaction score
we don’t know the impact of it Having will have. However I will say, He DOES basically shutdown a whole side of the field thatbWBs RAREY went to so instead of having 3/4 a field to 1/2 they now have a full field. I think Shead and Griffin will do fine. I am NOT as old on Lane, but we’ll see how he does.

On a side note. Screw TNF, unless they’re off a bye

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2v6o0mxg said:
Hawkpower":2v6o0mxg said:
Geez lots of overly dramatic doomsday posts in this thread.

I share concerns of course, but lets actually wait for the hawks to get dominated before we declare the season over, shall we?

And can we wait for Sherman to not ever return to his former self before we declare his era over?

Disappointment over losing one of our top players is understandable. Declaring seasons and eras over 12 hours later seems a bit premature

We had this same reaction after Earl broke his leg too.

I get taking the positive approach, and I appreciate the glass is half-full people -- but this is a monumental injury for this team. Only losing Earl or Russ for the year would compare IMO.

If they overcome this and make a run .. I'd be floored.

If they lost Earl last night, your post would be relevant.

Sherman and Earl arent the same person, don't play the same position, don't have the same role.

Now could it be just as impactful? Sure.

But my point was, and remains, that we dont know. Havent ever lost him before. We dont know who is taking his place. Being concerned is fine. Doomsday posts delcaring the season over are ridiculous.

Seymour

Reaction score
Maxwell against Julio.....hmmmmm. NOO!!

I'd go after a used up Revis before attempting to bring in Maxwell.

May as well mortgage the future even more since it's an all in year already anyway.

Reaction score
mistaowen":35cuzpbz said:
Are achilles tears career threatening? I thought they were a ~6 month healing period and then able to return to full activity. He was able to walk off on his own and it's not a medical emergency so he was able to stay on the sideline. I know he's getting older but he's still one of the best in the league, can't see this causing his play to fall completely off.

Absolutely they are... About a 1/3rd of achilles tears straight up end careers. Others, like Michael Crabtree, take about 2 years to fully recover from. The 49ers lost Crabtree in training camp in July, missed that season entirely and then he wasn't even close to himself until the end of the following season. He's doing well now though... but Sherman would already be a free agent by that point.

luigi_sal

Reaction score
Shaquille Griffin should be our new #1CB and Coleman, #2CB. McDougall to the nickel with Earl Thomas comeback. Thorpe for ST and Lane as our first backup. Regarding that point, should we not give some snaps to Delano Hill and Tedric Thompson to prevent some injuries in ET and KC? And I do not know if Mike Tyson, DeAndre Elliot or some other CB could fit in with our defensive scheme better than Lane, whose best of times as a Seahawks seem to have been gone.

mikeak

Reaction score
Atlanta receivers won't drop balls or not be hit in stride with the football like what we saw yesterday. The defense is depleted right now but has 10 days of rest

If this offense doesn't come out firing short passes, moving the ball and produces long sustained drives then it will be a long Sunday afternoon.......

I am not giving up on the season but if Bevell has been holding back then on Sunday it has to be all-out offensive performance. It has to be everything you do to move the ball continuously and then we win the game

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
luigi_sal":igoji6o5 said:
Shaquille Griffin should be our new #1CB and Coleman, #2CB. McDougall to the nickel with Earl Thomas comeback. Thorpe for ST and Lane as our first backup. Regarding that point, should we not give some snaps to Delano Hill and Tedric Thompson to prevent some injuries in ET and KC? And I do not know if Mike Tyson, DeAndre Elliot or some other CB could fit in with our defensive scheme better than Lane, whose best of times as a Seahawks seem to have been gone.

You gotta bring in Maxwell, Davis or Cromartie.

Our track record with bringing in veteran corners to learn our system is not good, so if I had to guess it'll be Maxwell if he can even run at 80% of his old self.

But going forward with Lane opposite Shaq? We'll give up 300 yards a game passing, just to his side.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Josea16":2aj2n6v6 said:
Our season is over. Atlanta of all teams possible will be the lucky ones. I hate Atlanta and Quinn and hope New Orleans kill both of them.

Sucks to die a slow death rather then something like the 40ers. We are going to be something like 9-7 or 7-9 and in utter purgatory.

Don't say that. The Hawks can, and need to, use the extended break to recover and beat the Falcons in a hostile CLink on MNF.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3nvm893z said:
luigi_sal":3nvm893z said:

Our track record with bringing in veteran corners to learn our system is not good, so if I had to guess it'll be Maxwell if he can even run at 80% of his old self.

But going forward with Lane opposite Shaq? We'll give up 300 yards a game passing, just to his side.

They immediately started to target Lane when he went in for Shaq and then really went at him when Sherm went down. I don't know what happened to him since his new contract but he is almost always beaten it seems. He was a few yards away from his receiver on some of the passes, luckily they had that big drop down the sidelines.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
So, Sherm's a pretty smart feller. Football-smart as well. Hopefully, even though he's not going to be playing for the rest of the season they have him assisting the Richard in film study and defensive game-planning for the rest of the season. Maybe coaching up the CBs too during the week, since he won't be busy preparing himself for the next game. Perhaps the coaching staff can turn this 'chicken shit into chicken soup', as the old saying goes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":2dsodbty said:
Sgt. Largent":2dsodbty said:
luigi_sal":2dsodbty said:

They immediately started to target Lane when he went in for Shaq and then really went at him when Sherm went down. I don't know what happened to him since his new contract but he is almost always beaten it seems. He was a few yards away from his receiver on some of the passes, luckily they had that big drop down the sidelines.

Lane's never been a good outside corner. When healthy he's a decent slot corner, but he's nowhere near completely healthy or close to how well Coleman's playing.

Personally I'd rather gamble on bringing in someone new and not disrupting the other positions where guys are playing well. You start shuffling Shaq, Coleman and now Lane around? That to me spells disaster.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
May be the last we see of him. He is going to be 30 and the last year of his deal. When you combine the large contract (last year of it next year), losing a step, injury.......I bet they ask him to renegotiate, he doesn't, and we cut him. Will be a lot of tough calls next year just like this. You either hold onto the past and remain average or move on and try to win forever. Patriots have been shrewd and move on at the right time. Its kept them on top. This is a young mans game. My fear is PC/JS will be toooo loyal and hold onto the core too long. The "core" is starting to show its age imo.

When I saw him say "tore Achilles" .. felt awful. End of the LOB as we know it. That being said ... we have some young promising talent ready to step in.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Maxwell is the only vet DB I'd like to see brought in, and even though he's still being paid $$$$$$$$ from the Dolphins, I don't know that he's willing to play on a small contract like vet min or close to it. Also factor in we have less than $2MM in salary cap and we likely are up against the wall and have to stick with our young depth from here on out. I don't know who, other than Maxwell, is agreeing to a contract with us considering we have zero leverage at this point.

As far as our defense going forward, I wouldn't be surprised if Griffin gets the nod and moves over to LCB for the rest of the season. Lane will likely be the RCB and Coleman remains in the slot as he's been very effective there until Shead returns and competes for the starting RCB spot.

How the rest of the DBs get shuffled and fill the depth spots, I have no idea at this point.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
BigBill1945":13tt5nbc said:
On the bright side, Achilles injuries used to be career ending incidents. Surgery to re-attach the achilles tendons is much more refined. Recovery from surgery usually takes about 6 weeks. At this point, weight bearing is allowed. It will be a little uncomfortable once Richard starts rehab. It usually takes around 6 months for a player to return to full activity on average. The heel cord will be tight because of healing and shortening of the muscles and tendon. The gastrocnemius the bigger muscles and more superficial one and the soleus muscle (the deeper one) attaches to the Achilles tendon. Often what you will see with these injuries with total tears is the the muscle will role up like a shade. The surgeons have to re-attach these muscles. Physical therapy will consist of progressive stretching, range of motion, and strengthening. As he improves he will be progressed to balance, proprioception activities (knowing where he is in space), and finally to agility drills. I know Richard will be back at full strength by next summer.

This was extremely insightful thank you for this

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Uncle Si":28pnc4bz said:
We lost a CB and the season is over?

If this team can’t overcome that then they werent very good to begin with. Sherman is a fantastic corner and I’m well enough aware of his impact to the team and the impact of a great corner

But he’s still a corner.. and the team should be able to adjust.

You paint this like we lost Justin Coleman or something.

If this team had any semblance of a rushing game, or an offense that could overcome the loss of the best corner in football .. sure there'd be a little more to it.

I don't think this offense can win games in a shootout on a consistent enough basis to win a championship. That's where our defense is immensely important to the overall success of this team. We saw this team without Earl Thomas last year and it was not pretty. Not sure how anyone can believe that removing the best CB from the team that removes an entire side of the field from the opposition just by being there is just another injury.

We've seen the record of this team when just Earl or Kam are out, Sherman is just as important as those guys.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2zltxe4p said:
Uncle Si":2zltxe4p said:
We lost a CB and the season is over?

If this team can’t overcome that then they werent very good to begin with. Sherman is a fantastic corner and I’m well enough aware of his impact to the team and the impact of a great corner

But he’s still a corner.. and the team should be able to adjust.

You paint this like we lost Justin Coleman or something.

If this team had any semblance of a rushing game, or an offense that could overcome the loss of the best corner in football .. sure there'd be a little more to it.

I don't think this offense can win games in a shootout on a consistent enough basis to win a championship. That's where our defense is immensely important to the overall success of this team. We saw this team without Earl Thomas last year and it was not pretty. Not sure how anyone can believe that removing the best CB from the team that removes an entire side of the field from the opposition just by being there is just another injury.

We've seen the record of this team when just Earl or Kam are out, Sherman is just as important as those guys.

I don't think any Seahawk fan thinks that your doomsday hand wringing COULDNT come true. It could. Sherman's loss could be just as devastating as losing Earl or Russ.

I think what you are missing here is that it is too early to paint it as a certainty. We dont know enough to make any solid assertions.

Enough unknowns to be worried, but not enough to be walking around kicking the dog in a season ending tantrum either. Lets just give it some time and re-evaluate when we know more.....