Sherman called out for lack of hustle on national TV

nanomoz

Reaction score
If Sherm had hustled after the reception, I think he would have prevented Hilton from YAC-ing into the end zone. Hilton stuttered/slowed down a bunch to misdirect Earl.

That said--Sherm has full trust in Earl and probably expected him to make the tackle. And, he was probably stunned by the lack of communication.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1i6507sa said:
Sherman wanted that noise!! Meh. I don't know about that play in particular but Luck went after him and won on a couple key plays.

Not Sherm's best game.

Browner did worse.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I've got no problem with off games or getting beat on plays--that stuff happens. I'm offput that Sherman didn't give 100% effort on the play. And the reason I am offput is because he tells everyone he is the best. That's why I bring up Pete Rose. He was the BEST hitter as far as hits go, and he never waivered on his effort. Even a ground ball to second, Charlie Hustle was booking it down the line. He wasn't even that fast, but his continuous effort probably netted him an initial 200-300 hits over the course of his career. I expect this, not only of the people who ARE the best, but definitely from those who self-proclaim to be the best.

In the grand scheme of things, it's really no big deal. But it disturbs me. If you're the best, you should never even be percieved as giving less than 100%.

sam1313

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":grbi56mb said:
I've got no problem with off games or getting beat on plays--that stuff happens. I'm offput that Sherman didn't give 100% effort on the play. And the reason I am offput is because he tells everyone he is the best. That's why I bring up Pete Rose. He was the BEST hitter as far as hits go, and he never waivered on his effort. Even a ground ball to second, Charlie Hustle was booking it down the line. He wasn't even that fast, but his continuous effort probably netted him an initial 200-300 hits over the course of his career. I expect this, not only of the people who ARE the best, but definitely from those who self-proclaim to be the best.

In the grand scheme of things, it's really no big deal. But it disturbs me. If you're the best, you should never even be percieved as giving less than 100%.

This is probably going to sound bad given how much you admire Pete Rose, but that is freaking baseball and there is no comparison of the effort it takes to play each sport. Running to first base is nothing like sprinting and covering the NFL's fastest wide receivers. Pete Rose could not have made it through a Pete Carol football practice. Giving 100% effort for a couple seconds at a time 5-10 times in a baseball game is quite a bit different than playing four or five quarters of NFL Football - especially at cornerback. How often do you see baseball players breathing hard and drenched with sweat? (It is probably obvious that I am not a baseball fan - sorry - I still think the comparison of the "effort" given does not make sense.)
Regardless, I do agree tha tit was B.S. for Sherm to stop in that situation, and I am sure that Sherm will get an earfull from the coaching staff as well. It doesn't matter that ET has never missed that tackle in any of the games that they have played together. The chance is there, and on defense you gang tackle - period. It is the only way to ensure people get brought down.

zhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":2kfvt2kt said:
Teqneek":2kfvt2kt said:
So whoever you listened to is an idiot? Sherman was expecting help over the top he was pointing for it 3 times before the snap.. his duty wasnt to run with Hilton

I believe it was Dungy and it was after Hilton was by him and Earl tried to force Hilton out of bounds. At this point Sherman was just jogging and basically quit on the play.

it was Rodney Harrison of the hated stealers..of course he would try to piss on a seahawk. :pukeface:

HawkWow

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":5rljgmf3 said:

I totally agree. Especially when Sherm will ultimately be seeking a $15,000,000 per year raise. He has all the talent and all the tools (including the brain). But without dedication and commitment, it won't be enough to make him a champion. I think he knows this and I expect to see him lights out on Sunday.

zayden185

Reaction score
Maybe be a little more motivated

Can't just roll helmet onto his side of field and call it good

cacksman

Reaction score
HawkWow":wbbepsf8 said:
KARAVARUS":wbbepsf8 said:

I totally agree. Especially when Sherm will ultimately be seeking a $15,000,000 per year raise. He has all the talent and all the tools (including the brain). But without dedication and commitment, it won't be enough to make him a champion. I think he knows this and I expect to see him lights out on Sunday.

I hope you aren't suggesting Sherman doesn't have dedication and commitment. I was one of the first ones to point out that Sherman gave up on the play, but it was ONE PLAY.

Sonichellboy

Reaction score
zhawk":1glgx80j said:
seabowl":1glgx80j said:
Teqneek":1glgx80j said:
So whoever you listened to is an idiot? Sherman was expecting help over the top he was pointing for it 3 times before the snap.. his duty wasnt to run with Hilton

I believe it was Dungy and it was after Hilton was by him and Earl tried to force Hilton out of bounds. At this point Sherman was just jogging and basically quit on the play.

it was Rodney Harrison of the hated stealers..of course he would try to piss on a seahawk. :pukeface:
Rodney Harrison is guilty of a lot of things, but playing for Pittsburgh is not one of them. You thinking of Hines Ward?

HawkWow

Reaction score
cacksman":qveysua0 said:
HawkWow":qveysua0 said:
KARAVARUS":qveysua0 said:

I hope you aren't suggesting Sherman doesn't have dedication and commitment. I was one of the first ones to point out that Sherman gave up on the play, but it was ONE PLAY.

Are you sure you were "one of the first ones" to point this out? As fast as you may have been, I think about 10,000,000 people saw what took place... and all at the same time.

Sherman is under a microscope. This is what he wanted. The highs will be very high but the lows, much lower. It's a very fine line that distinguishes the greats from the champions and not many champions take plays off. But to answer your question: I am uncertain how dedicated or committed Sherman is in actuality. I assume VERY...but I don't work out with him. You?

lukerguy

Reaction score
Teqneek":1qkq7dd4 said:

So, because you are supposed to have help, you don't give 100% because after all "it's not your fault." That's BS. As soon you start looking at a D as individuals, you've lose the whole team and unit concept.

RussellMania

Reaction score
rsm650":2h1hsog2 said:
Don't worry, next week Sherman is going to get at least 2 picks and 1 pick six.

This. Fitz will make him look like a modern day Deion Sanders after playing Luck.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
cacksman":3ldf58b8 said:
HawkWow":3ldf58b8 said:
KARAVARUS":3ldf58b8 said:

I have a problem with characterizing this as 'giving up.' He 'screwed up' by seeing Earl closing on Hilton and assuming he would make the tackle. Remember, we are talking about a half tick of hesitation that would make catching Hilton impossible. Lesson learned because I'm sure Sherman doesn't like national media attention on his gaffes coming from ex NFL coaches and players. He can't accuse these guys of having Bayliss-like knowledge. ;)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The same people who are giving Sherm crap will be singing his praises after he gets a pick on Sunday, and shuts down whoever he is covering.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Gee, the Indianapolis Colts former coach... for a decade+...
(with some newfound superpower to mindread apparently),
giving the 'insider scoop of the mindset' of the LOB while in the midst of the chase following first blown coverage of the Seahawks season.
Hmm.

Adding insult to injury with his 'expert opinions' on the ability and commitment of our defense to hustle...
(by calling out and mischaracterizing our best player on national TV?...)
Grossly speculating that if Richard Sherman had run just a little faster
maybe we could have prevented that 75 yard TD?
Well Duh!
And if he had run faster in that microsecond and Earl still whiffed on tackling TY, and collided into Sherm instead i.e. A db-->db collision=injury... what would Dungy say then? How stupid they were for not slowing down to avoid colliding into each other?

Gee, I wonder who he was rooting for in this game?
IMO Its simply yet another par for the course, ridiculously obvious, blatant Indy "homer call".

Personally, I'd like to ask what his truly honest opinion was on the officiating in this game?
I imagine he probably thought it was consistently fair and unbiased as well... like all the other Indy fans did.
Puh-lease.

Before you add any credibility to these 'expert' statements, consider the source.
Tony Dungy? STFU.

zhawk

Reaction score
Sonichellboy":3csbgyoo said:
zhawk":3csbgyoo said:
seabowl":3csbgyoo said:
Teqneek":3csbgyoo said:

Rodney Harrison is guilty of a lot of things, but playing for Pittsburgh is not one of them. You thinking of Hines Ward?

my mistake... don't know what I was thinking, but I don't like that other guy either. :49ersmall:

Latest posts