Sherman called out for lack of hustle on national TV

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
The 'giving up' comment wasn't about it being his blown coverage. It was about him not chasing the play down from behind. He'd likely have been able to clean up on the tackle Thomas missed and prevent the TD. I called him out for it from my couch when it happened. Not sure he heard me, though,

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Marlin Man":2d219iuf said:
Sherman spends far FAr too much time admiring himself in the mirror- yeah he makes some great plays but he gets his butt beat many times over- anyway, sure wish Pete would take his mirror away from him at least at game time

Lol here we go...just like when he won the "NFC defensive player of month" award right. He made it all about him when he said "This was a team effort. It could've been any one of us. It just shows how hard we work and how much we trust eachother". Also that game tying pick-6 last week. He was too busy tweeting instead of studying that play that Schaub and the Texans love to run right. No clue how he figured out they were running that exact play when he was too busy feeling himself

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Sherman did not have his best game. He was also playing against his College QB that knows his tendencies, what he is good or bad at as well. I think that had to contribute a bit.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Happypuppy":6qfs64ny said:
Sherman did not have his best game. He was also playing against his College QB that knows his tendencies, what he is good or bad at as well. I think that had to contribute a bit.

Didnt sherman play WR?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Sturm":bjwdsm92 said:
cacksman":bjwdsm92 said:
I mentioned this in chat right after it happened. Sherman definitely quit on the play and could have potentially stopped the TD. Disappointing, yet no one is perfect.

He sure did. Maybe Earl blew the coverage but Sherman could've saved that from being a TD if he would've kept running.

Sherman was far behind Hilton, stride for stride, I didn't think there was any way Sherman would catch up which is why I think he gave up. Also looked like Earl had the tackle, but guess not lol.

From the start, Sherman was pointing towards the backfield trying to communicate with someone before the snap; I kinda had a felling something was up. Might have been some miscommunication, but who knows.

Seahawkx

Reaction score
Again the question comes up... WHY THE **** DO WE PLAY ZONE??!!!! we get eaten up whenever we do. How difficult can it be for the coaches to understand that our defense is built for press man-man coverage. Both of TY Hiltons tds wouldnt have happend if it wasnt for the zone def.

ps: Who the **** names their child TY?!

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
ps: Who the **** names their child TY?![/quote]

Maybe it's Titus Young in disguise?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Seahawkx":10ly7v46 said:
Again the question comes up... WHY THE **** DO WE PLAY ZONE??!!!! we get eaten up whenever we do. How difficult can it be for the coaches to understand that our defense is built for press man-man coverage. Both of TY Hiltons tds wouldnt have happend if it wasnt for the zone def.

ps: Who the **** names their child TY?!

Nobody...its a nickname. His real name is Eugene. TY is a nod to his dad, Tyrone

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Have you ever seen Marshawn "give up" on a play? Dude gives 200% of his entire body and effort on every play. He doesn't take plays off and he doesn't take portions of plays off.

I love Sherman, but I think about people like Pete Rose. Say what you want about his post-playing-career antics, but the guy simply never gave up on ANYTHING on the field. Shame he'll never make the Hall. But that's the type of player that is great universally, not just in their mind. To me, I'd love it if Sherman ate a bit of humble pie and let his play speak for him for once. I watch his segments with Skip Bayless, who IS a douche, and though I laugh, Sherm is just a jerk in those segments.. He hasn't won a thing and for a guy who claims it's all about the team, I was not a fan of him dogging it there in this game.

Is there a chance he doesn't catch him? Of course. Can you say he wouldn't have? No way. And who knows, maybe even cause a turnover. I love every player on this team, but when you talk you have to continually walk the walk--never giving up. I would absolutely hate to think that he quit pursuing because he didn't want to be shown in the highlight. But I equally hate that he quit because he thought ET had it. That's not what he talks about all the time.

If you're the best, prove it on every play. Will you get beat sometimes? Yep. Don't stop until the end.

BGHawk

Reaction score
There was confusion on the line before the snap with sherm pointing to the back field and trying to communicate. Luck keyed in on this and threw to hilton over the top..wide open hilton. I think it was thomas who blew coverage and it appeared sherm tried to cover him but was well behind the play. Oh well..just one play and one loss.

BGHawk

Reaction score
There was confusion on the line before the snap with sherm pointing to the back field and trying to communicate. Luck keyed in on this and threw to hilton over the top..wide open hilton. I think it was thomas who blew coverage and it appeared sherm tried to cover him but was well behind the play. Oh well..just one play and one loss.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So he's not allowed to have an off game? His off game is better than 95 percent of the guys in the league. Worrying about Sherman is laughable, at best. It was clearly a mis-communication between him and Earl. Next

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
OK Sherm shouldnt have given up but it wasnt unreasonable for him to expect Thomas to make the tackle. It was a woeful effort from ET.

Not that I give a massive shit either way, they have been great all season so far. Yesterday was just one of those game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Here's an idea, maybe actually giving the opponent credit, for once, would be a good way to look at a loss as well :mrgreen:

Largent80

Reaction score
He has been so great that people take it for granted that he will be every single game. It simply is not a realistic way to think.

Humans have off days no matter who they are.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Who Cares?

One 10AM road game with a lot of stuff not going their way and one play gets mentioned? If anything, the missed tackle, by the best tackler on the team should be the focus. Frankly, I am surprised that they didn't just slap little Hilton around. Colts got lucky, the Seahawks do too... It isn't anything in the big picture.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I think the "giving up" wasn't that either Sherman or Thomas got beat... but, when the replay is shown, Sherman looks like he slows up because he thought Thomas was going to knock him out of bounds after the catch. But, not sure Sherman could have caught Hilton with that speed anyway. I love Sherman, but I gotta admit that when I saw the replay, I thought Sherman could have played that differently and I'm sure he will see that and learn from it. Just the NFL talking heads doing everything they can to disparage the Hawks. What else is new?

A

Anonymous

I'm going to (again) go out on a limb, and say that both ET and Sherm are human beings that on occasion will miscommunicate and make mistakes. It is only about 10:30am here, and I've already made two mistakes myself. Nobody is perfect and this imperfection had some very painful consequences attached.

This was clearly a case where a quarterback like Luck did exactly what he is supposed to do and spot the gaff in the coverage. Sherman motioning to ET pre-snap did not help things (as was pointed out by my esteemed colleagues here), as Luck knew exactly what to do. Anybody who is schooled in offensive scheme knows that some plays are designed to be called for formation and protection then "massaged" at the line with the a QB audible (or signal) to complete the routes. This is EXACTLY what happened on that play. Luck signaled for the go route, and viola, touchdown.

"They" got beat on the play, were seen discussing it on the sidelines afterwards, and it was commented on in the media. IMO Dungy could have spent a few more moments examining the play before issuing his comments, but that is how that particular cookie crumbled. The good news? The players are pissed off, the coaches know what to do, and we'll completely demolish the Titans this weekend.