Shaq Thompson Draft Projection

IndyHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":v5inre9k said:
Shaq's drop reminds me of a few other Huskies that were overlooked most likely based on geography. Desmond Trufant and Correy Dillon. In each caser they we're CLEARLY the best at their position in their respected draft, but, they dropped mostly due to a slight geography bias.

Shaq Thompson is a machine. He's a football player. He's Earl Thomas in almost every quality imaginable, IMO. I don't care if it's the furthest thing from a "need" on the Hawks...you just nab dudes like that.

He's a football player. And football players make football plays.
:thirishdrinkers: :13: :thirishdrinkers:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
For us, he would be perfect.

Especially for a team that has a habit of knocking its own secondary members out with friendly fire.

He is a good fill in option at LB, if he is David 2.0. And he could certainly cover the TEs.

More importantly, he can run. Which means he is an immediate upgrade on special teams, an area we are just not producing.

He ends up being a player that can produce decently to cover for injury in at least 3, if not 4, areas. That alone is worth a late 1st. Plus he has a knack for making outstanding plays. The argument was that it was no big deal, he was out-athleting the other team. Considering his measurables, that is not the case, but apparently during the game he looks like one of the better players on both teams. So where are the splash plays coming from if it isn't from being faster/stronger than the other guys?

It is a risk but not a huge one considering the payoff and the floor.

netskier

Reaction score
Do people think he is athletic enough to become a Gronk stopper?

drrew

Reaction score
netskier":2eapa6md said:
Do people think he is athletic enough to become a Gronk stopper?

He's athletic enough but he doesn't have the size. However, I'm not sure anyone out there has the combination of athleticism and size to be a Gronk 'stopper'.

netskier

Reaction score
That's my thought too, but he did say that he wanted to cover right ends, among other things.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
pehawk":12gz783m said:
He's a football player. And football players make football plays.

One of the many great Knoxisms, yeah?

While not necessarily a "need", I would be thrilled if Shaq ended up a 'Hawk. Like "Big Play Babs", he seems to always be in the right place at the right time to make huge plays and I expect that will continue at the next level.

His will be an interesting career to keep an eye on, but if he doesn't end up staying in Seattle, I'd prefer he lands somewhere outside the NFCW. I really want to be able to root for the kid.

pehawk

Reaction score
Actually, I think Shaq is a need. Having a great backups in the secondary allows the Seahawks to keep their identity should injuries occur. Without Kam the defense is definitely different, Shaq would safeguard from that. Plus his size and strength should allow freedom in nickel packages.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":2ih7vxlc said:
Actually, I think Shaq is a need. Having a great backups in the secondary allows the Seahawks to keep their identity should injuries occur. Without Kam the defense is definitely different, Shaq would safeguard from that. Plus his size and strength should allow freedom in nickel packages.
He is a need. Jeron Johnson is probably gone. But I have to really stretch my logic to see him being a pick that we would take in the first 2 rounds.
Though I think there is an chance he falls farther than that. The draftniks love him because he was such a fun to watch college guy, but when I try to see what pro team would want a swiss army knife in the first two rounds, only the ones who would play him as a safety spring to mind. Atlanta? Jacksonville? The Jets? perhaps the Colts? All teams committed to the Pete press corner single high safety, SS in the box model, but all teams that seem to have more pressing needs than SS. I don't see that many teams being committed to the Tampa-2 model where he would be a linebacker role.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2362tddj said:
pehawk":2362tddj said:
He is a need. Jeron Johnson is probably gone. But I have to really stretch my logic to see him being a pick that we would take in the first 2 rounds.
Though I think there is an chance he falls farther than that. The draftniks love him because he was such a fun to watch college guy, but when I try to see what pro team would want a swiss army knife in the first two rounds, only the ones who would play him as a safety spring to mind. Atlanta? Jacksonville? The Jets? perhaps the Colts? All teams committed to the Pete press corner single high safety, SS in the box model, but all teams that seem to have more pressing needs than SS. I don't see that many teams being committed to the Tampa-2 model where he would be a linebacker role.

Great point on the limited number of teams that'd want a Shaq type (I'd only add the Pats and Ravens to your list of possible suitors). Also, Pac-12 defenders are usually underrated in drafts for whatever reason. He could definitely slide because of all that.

The swissarmy-knife tag isn't necessarily true either. He played a lot of positions solely out of the need of his team. He played whatever spot helped that team win. And whatever spot he was put in, he dominated. We're not talking about Percy or Hester here...Shaq isn't just an athlete.

Shaq gets my inner-sportsradioguy all a titter. I want to cheer for him on in the pros, badly. I just cant help it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":1uavyvtl said:
Scottemojo":1uavyvtl said:
pehawk":1uavyvtl said:

Great point on the limited number of teams that'd want a Shaq type (I'd only add the Pats and Ravens to your list of possible suitors). Also, Pac-12 defenders are usually underrated in drafts for whatever reason. He could definitely slide because of all that.

The swissarmy-knife tag isn't necessarily true either. He played a lot of positions solely out of the need of his team. He played whatever spot helped that team win. And whatever spot he was put in, he dominated. We're not talking about Percy or Hester here...Shaq isn't just an athlete.

Shaq gets my inner-sportsradioguy all a titter. I want to cheer for him on in the pros, badly. I just cant help it.
He should get you all a titter. Or twitter. Or twatter. He is fun to watch. To me, he is a bigger and better Honey Badger. That guy is fun to watch too.

I still think some other team that rates him at 500 snaps, or more, for 2015 will take him higher than Seattle can.

pehawk

Reaction score
Two years ago my draft crush was Honey Badger. Last year, Ha Ha Clinton Dix. This year its Shaq.

The lesson here? Pete's brainwashed me with his love of secondary's. Doesn't hurt its the only position I can relate to, having played it. On the field I was a slow, white Kelly Jennings with less physicality and ball skills.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":3vuxy8ir said:
Two years ago my draft crush was Honey Badger. Last year, Ha Ha Clinton Dix. This year its Shaq.

The lesson here? Pete's brainwashed me with his love of secondary's. Doesn't hurt its the only position I can relate to, having played it. On the field I was a slow, white Kelly Jennings with less physicality and ball skills.
You were a traffic cone?

You seem to have a safety addiction. Admitting it is the first step. Now apologize to all those you have hurt.

pehawk

Reaction score
Safety is the only defensive position that has "it". That intangible, instinctual, abstract measurement you cant (yet) quantify using statistical analysis.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":3nnk82iy said:
Safety is the only defensive position that has "it". That intangible, instinctual, abstract measurement you cant (yet) quantify using statistical analysis.
Being a Hawk fan is pure nirvana for you right now, then.