Shaping up to be a historically bad O-Line

Seafan

Reaction score
SeahawksCanuck":1as9d3a1 said:
I had some optimism going into the season based on coaching comments (perhaps I should stop listening to Pete and Tom's optimism, this isn't the first time it's been misplaced), but more importantly, a decent job in the pre-season. Today made it look like this line could actually be worse than last year (and this wasn't even against the league's best defensive front or anything).

Pete and John have done a great job building this team, but they don't seem to have any ideas to fix the line (granted, that's easier said than done, but we don't even seem to be making progress). The year we won the SuperBowl we actually had a decent (albeit overpaid and injury prone) line, I don't think that was a coincidence.

It wasn't for not trying. The OL market was crazy this year and Lang could have signed but chose his hometown. Losing Fant hurt. They could have chosen to not sign any OL free agents or they could have also resigned Sowell and Gilliam and perhaps drafted an OL earlier. Don't know if Lamp would have been any better than Fant.

RW is a limited QB. Bev and Cable need to do a better job of emphasizing his strengths in their game plans and negating his weaknesses.

This OL isn't going to do well with Lacy running the ball behind it. Hopefully lesson learned.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
I think sadly this is it . This is the product your getting all year offensively. it won't improve it might mask itself with broken amazing thank god plays but I think they just ain't got it that whole project thing over the last few years in regards to the oline has failed miserably at some point you got a blow shit up and start over and face the fact that it didn't work .

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
vin.couve12":bnyza3sw said:
CodeWarrior":bnyza3sw said:
Stop deflecting from the ineptitude of the offensive line. They are THE reason this offense is so inept as teams simply don't have to pay the run any respect. We just don't have the horses for it upfront. Without a legitimate threat of the rush and associated play action, Pete's offense isn't worth a hill of beans.
Football is complicated, I know.

If you're trying to be arrogantly dismissive at least come up with something clever.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Anthony!":27bpl0y7 said:
vin.couve12":27bpl0y7 said:
CodeWarrior":27bpl0y7 said:
vin.couve12":27bpl0y7 said:
This is one of those scapegoat things that's like a disease. Again, RW's jersey was a lot cleaner than Rodgers. There's more things wrong with this offense than the OL.

What do you see as wrong with the offense outside of the OL?
Playcalling for one. RW also wasn't good today even when he did have time. I expect big things from him this season, but week 1 is never our best. We always look a little lost. Personnel wise we wasted time with Lacy being in the game. Keep him on the roster, but I don't have much use for him this season unless injury strikes. If he can't get up and run hard against his former team, then he's got little pulse. Jimmy played like crap.

I mean look around...Baldwin and Richardson had pretty good games. Carson played pretty well and CJ had a couple good played. That's it.

When we had the ball in the RZ before the half, we called the exact same play two plays in a row. Then FG.

Our offense lacks balance, play diversity, etc.

Again, RW was cleaner than Rodgers. You have to have some perspective here.

That is incorrect Rw was not cleaner that Rodgers, that said it right on the broadcast that Rw was under siege all night, They just said on IT ESPN that both had it rough but Rw had it rougher so sorry that is wrong, All that said Rw played about, as well as y9ou, can expect him to under those circumstances, and once again my question is why did we only go uptempo twice, we should have been uptempo all game.
They had a stat during the game. Rodgers was hit 10 times, knocked down 10 times, sacked 4 times, and I don't remember the pressure number.

That's more times than RW even threw the ball. I don't care who said what.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
vin.couve12":17b1jpzi said:
Anthony!":17b1jpzi said:
vin.couve12":17b1jpzi said:
CodeWarrior":17b1jpzi said:
Playcalling for one. RW also wasn't good today even when he did have time. I expect big things from him this season, but week 1 is never our best. We always look a little lost. Personnel wise we wasted time with Lacy being in the game. Keep him on the roster, but I don't have much use for him this season unless injury strikes. If he can't get up and run hard against his former team, then he's got little pulse. Jimmy played like crap.

I mean look around...Baldwin and Richardson had pretty good games. Carson played pretty well and CJ had a couple good played. That's it.

When we had the ball in the RZ before the half, we called the exact same play two plays in a row. Then FG.

That is incorrect Rw was not cleaner that Rodgers, that said it right on the broadcast that Rw was under siege all night, They just said on IT ESPN that both had it rough but Rw had it rougher so sorry that is wrong, All that said Rw played about, as well as y9ou, can expect him to under those circumstances, and once again my question is why did we only go uptempo twice, we should have been uptempo all game.
They had a stat during the game. Rodgers was hit 10 times, knocked down 10 times, sacked 4 times, and I don't remember the pressure number.

I'd be interested to see how long each QB held the ball per snap. Your comparison is pretty useless without that information.

adeltaY

Reaction score
We sacked Rodgers but there wasn't one snap I can remember when he had no chance like Russ there. Remember, Rodgers loves to buy time for the big play and will take sacks rather than throw picks. We had to chase him down to sack him and it took a few seconds. Russ had little chance and Rodgers has better pocket awareness and manipulation.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Dude, the OL is a problem and they're going to have growing pains. You had to expect some problems. Bevell should have as well. Britt is the only guy that is playing the same position on the OL.

But there is a lot more wrong with the offense than just the OL. Football is complicated.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seafan":1x5plbz5 said:
SeahawksCanuck":1x5plbz5 said:
I had some optimism going into the season based on coaching comments (perhaps I should stop listening to Pete and Tom's optimism, this isn't the first time it's been misplaced), but more importantly, a decent job in the pre-season. Today made it look like this line could actually be worse than last year (and this wasn't even against the league's best defensive front or anything).

Pete and John have done a great job building this team, but they don't seem to have any ideas to fix the line (granted, that's easier said than done, but we don't even seem to be making progress). The year we won the SuperBowl we actually had a decent (albeit overpaid and injury prone) line, I don't think that was a coincidence.

It wasn't for not trying. The OL market was crazy this year and Lang could have signed but chose his hometown. Losing Fant hurt. They could have chosen to not sign any OL free agents or they could have also resigned Sowell and Gilliam and perhaps drafted an OL earlier. Don't know if Lamp would have been any better than Fant.

RW is a limited QB. Bev and Cable need to do a better job of emphasizing his strengths in their game plans and negating his weaknesses.

This OL isn't going to do well with Lacy running the ball behind it. Hopefully lesson learned.

Ahh okay, how do you figure Rw is a limited QB?

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Seafan":2hkk4s11 said:

Granted, the OLine market has been crazy for awhile now, but perhaps there's a reason for that?

I don't think there's any easy answers here, but on the whole, our staff simply hasn't done as well as most other teams. I'm not sure to what extent the problem is coaching, evaluation, an unwillingness to invest, or some mixture of these factors. And I understand that going cheap on the oline has freed up money to build a world-class defence, but as great as that is, completely neglecting one position group wasn't the way to do it. No matter how good our defence is, we'll continue to hit a wall in the playoffs (and "next-man-up" has worked a lot better for us at defence than at oline).

The one good sign our management has learned something is locking up Britt (perhaps had we done so with steady guys like Okung and Sweezy we could have avoided this mess).

Anthony!

Reaction score
vin.couve12":da9910ro said:
Anthony!":da9910ro said:
vin.couve12":da9910ro said:
CodeWarrior":da9910ro said:

Great but that doe snot mean as a Percentage he was under more pressure. If we say your right which is not the numbers I saw but let's say your right, that means he was under siege on 57% of his att as he had 42. Now if the number I heard on RW are correct that means Rw was under siege ONLY 19 times however when you only att 27 passes that is 70% of the time which is more than 57%. To put in greater light, that means Rodgers had 18 att with not under siege and Rw had 8, So Rodgers had 2,5 times more att while not under siege and is a huge difference

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
vin.couve12":eo9bs0vi said:
Dude, the OL is a problem and they're going to have growing pains. You had to expect some problems. Bevell should have as well. Britt is the only guy that is playing the same position on the OL.
That was the supposed reasoning I heard last year though, and then we went and changed 3/5 of the line purposely (so not including Fant) for this season.

I can buy the need for a bit of "retool" year, but this makes it sound like apart from Britt (and I guess we won't really know with Fant) last year was a waste.

Anthony!

Reaction score
vin.couve12":xueech43 said:

But there is a lot more wrong with the offense than just the OL. Football is complicated.

Kind of right, but it all starts up front if you have no body it does not matter how good your engine is. after Olien the next issue is Bevel, we moved the ball well in the preseason with uptempo, and gain in 2015 with uptmepo but what do we not do most of the game...uptempo

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SeahawksCanuck":dm4jt1fa said:
vin.couve12":dm4jt1fa said:
That was the supposed reasoning I heard last year though, and then we went and changed 3/5 of the line purposely (so not including Fant) for this season.

I can buy the need for a bit of "retool" year, but this makes it sound like apart from Britt (and I guess we won't really know with Fant) last year was a waste.
One of my problems with coaching the last two years was the lack of continuity. They shuffled players until the last PS game and when week 1 comes around, you have strangers playing next to each other. They actually talked about continuity this year, but it never panned out, especially after the Fant deal.

They'll get better. RW will get better. Bevell OTOH?

Latest posts