Seattle vs. Atlanta matchups

RCATES

Reaction score
Beating Carolina and Denver in back to back weeks is impressive non the less but not as impressive as I once thought. Carolina this year is not very good sitting at 1-4. Denver looked lost last night and is nowhere near the same team they were last year especially on Defense. They clearly miss Ware, Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan on that front 7. Factor in a rookie QB making his first start on a Offense that already is not very good color me unimpressed. Atlanta is a good team but not great.

pcbball12

Reaction score
treefidy":5tnf6b21 said:
pcbball12":5tnf6b21 said:
The Rams also had the #4 scoring defense in the league that year too only giving up 15.1 PPG...just about half of what your defense gives up so far.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...onType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

That's pretty cool. Only 11 more games of Data Gathering to go before we have to worry about that huh?
Ok, so you can use this argument when it comes to your defense but we can't when it comes to our offense huh? Good to know...way to take the bait.

pcbball12

Reaction score
treefidy":3h1bwi77 said:
pcbball12":3h1bwi77 said:
And also, if you go through year by year you will notice something about defense. The only team that has won a SB since 99 without a top 10 scoring defense (they were 12th) were the 2012 Ravens.

That is also wrong.

2009 Saints - #13
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... fied=false

2007 Giants - #16
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... fied=false
Overlooks on my part, however still much better than where the Falcons are at right now defensively. Since we can have 0 excuses for our offense right now you don't get any for your defense that has been completely lousy

pcbball12

Reaction score
Julio, Freeman and Trufant. I considered Mack, but Britt is younger, far cheaper, and on the come. If there was a competition for a spot between the two, the Hawks would go forward with Britt. I probably should include Schrader though, he's pretty good.
I'm pretty sure we'd take Jake Matthews at LT.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
treefidy":1qma7mnp said:
MontanaHawk05":1qma7mnp said:
You're not that good against the run. You're ranked 24th against it in DVOA and Denver absolutely rammed it down your throat.

Our rushing offense hasn't been all that amazing yet, but it's been gaining traction. With Germain Ifedi and Nick Vannett healthy and playing, and with Russell Wilson getting less gimpy, your linebackers will have their hands full.

This is why DVOA is a stupid stat.

24 carries for 84 yards or a 3.5 ypc carry is not ramming it down our throats.

Watch the game, not the DVOA.

You're on the outside of respected football discussion if you ignore DVOA...

But I'll grant you this, I was looking in the wrong stat column for the Denver game. :oops: Denver didn't do too well in the run after all.

Ah well. That's okay. Russell Wilson has proven he can win without the run, if necessary. Given your defense stinks by DVOA and Wilson's been healing, we'll be fine, assuming the ball isn't too wet. And I do believe our run game is improving.

It'll be a close game, most likely. Probably decided by turnovers.

Tical21

Reaction score
pcbball12":2u8mnyrs said:
Julio, Freeman and Trufant. I considered Mack, but Britt is younger, far cheaper, and on the come. If there was a competition for a spot between the two, the Hawks would go forward with Britt. I probably should include Schrader though, he's pretty good.
I dunno that I'm ready to go there yet. I know he's improved, but I still have visions of him getting Matty killed through most of 2014.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Tical21":217dmsjl said:
pcbball12":217dmsjl said:
I dunno that I'm ready to go there yet. I know he's improved, but I still have visions of him getting Matty killed through most of 2014.
I hear you, but he's been really good this year. Has always had the talent and pedigree, finally putting it together I think.

andyh64000

Reaction score
What I think is the most important matchup statistic of the game...

The Falcons offense is dependent on yards after catch. They lead the league by a mile...909 of their 1740 receiving yards came after the catch. The top 2 YAC leaders are Falcons. But the Hawk defense has amazing team speed and incredibly sure tackling and is built to limit YAC. This matchup is the main reason the Seahawks crushed Denver in Super Bowl 48.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Falcons remind me of a juvenile going through puberty.

Mick063

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1q2n1l2d said:

Yep.

Relentlessly seeking validation that they have earned a seat at the adult table. The Sunday smack down can't come soon enough.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Its almost like they are trying to convince themselves they are a great teams as much as they are trying to convince us.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2bvdmn3z said:
More so, the fans that are here acting like they need validation from us. :roll:

Own The West

Reaction score
I think tree is being cool and many posters on this board are not. Let's be better hosts!

Truth is, we're going up against our old D-coordinator who knows our system and personnel better than anyone. They have the #1 scoring offense, we have the #3 scoring defense. Our offense and their defense are in the bottom third. To say this is a shoe-in would be silly. I think we will still win, but I also have respect for this team and their fans.

Laloosh

Reaction score
With four and five games played by either team, the stats being slung back and forth just don't move the needle for me in either direction.

I love stats. I just don't pretend that they're reliable or indicative of what's coming this early in the season. Falcon fans are excited, I get it. You're just putting yourselves way out there with some of this shit though. Seattle fans will do the same but we've been here when fans of other teams have shown up to enlighten us about how badly we're going to lose, only to see them disappear after the game is played.

Not that this will dissuade further chest pounding but holy shit, give it a rest. I enjoy reading the insights of opposing teams' fans when they educate us about their team, share some of their experiences with being a fan of that team (the ups and downs that have come with it) or just want to learn more about ours.

At this point, you've done nothing but reinforce the idea that you're here to talk shit and if your team loses, we'll never hear from you again.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Laloosh":v10yas4g said:
With four and five games played by either team, the stats being slung back and forth just don't move the needle for me in either direction.

I love stats. I just don't pretend that they're reliable or indicative of what's coming this early in the season. Falcon fans are excited, I get it. You're just putting yourselves way out there with some of this shit though. Seattle fans will do the same but we've been here when fans of other teams have shown up to enlighten us about how badly we're going to lose, only to see them disappear after the game is played.

Not that this will dissuade further chest pounding but holy shit, give it a rest. I enjoy reading the insights of opposing teams' fans when they educate us about their team, share some of their experiences with being a fan of that team (the ups and downs that have come with it) or just want to learn more about ours.

At this point, you've done nothing but reinforce the idea that you're here to talk shit and if your team loses, we'll never hear from you again.

If stats were all that mattered, we'd have lost the Superbowl, 43-8 or something like that. Happy turn of events as the Broncos faced an offense they've never seen one before of it's likes.

Tical21

Reaction score
Did Roland just run naked through a football thread?

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/786999443677556736[/tweet]

FOGHORN

Reaction score
Win,lose, or draw I will come back. I actually like most of the posters in here. I think it will be a very good game.

The Seahawks have many variables working in their favor before we even start hashing out players on rosters. I personally can't wait for Sunday.

As for those that think this team is the same as the 2012 team you will be surprised. Many players have changed as well as schemes on both sides of the ball. This game will be a measuring stick for the Falcons, much more than the Seahawks.

The core players on Seahawks are battle tested. Atlanta has many rookies and 1st year starters trying to make their way and name in the NFL. They are young, hungry, and finding confidence.

I can guarantee you the Seahawks players and coaches arent taking this team as lightly as some posters are. Would I be surprised with a Seahawks win? Absolutely not. 2nd road game out West for a young team, 3rd tough game in a row, and lots of inexperience. I would however be much more surprised with a blowout. This version of the Falcons have alot more heart and a closer bond. They fight harder for each other.

And come Sunday, they will need to fight. They will strap on the gloves and go toe to toe with a heavyweight. In my opinion, THE Heavyweight of the NFC.

Only Sunday will reveal what the Falcons have in their team . As for the Seahawks, business as usual. Good luck fellas. Can't wait for Sunday. And should the Falcons lose I will come back and take my licks and discuss the games unfoldings.

Peace to the PNW!