Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

knownone

Reaction score
CONCACAF is a joke... how did no one get sent off? I watched a guy punch Lamar in the face and he didn't even get a warning. Olympia should have been down 3 players, yet not one player got sent off. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":oanuqfy9 said:
CONCACAF is a joke... how did no one get sent off? I watched a guy punch Lamar in the face and he didn't even get a warning. Olympia should have been down 3 players, yet not one player got sent off. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?

The first round is definitely a joke. But after all these 3rd world clubs that play in cow pastures are bounced out and it's just the big MLS clubs vs. big Mexican clubs, I actually enjoy CONCACAF matches.

Sounders should have won like 5-1 last night, SO many missed chances or fantastic saves out of Olimpia's goalie. Great to see with us playing mainly bench players. If CONCACAF and US Open Cup matches are good for anything, it's giving us a chance for our depth to play competitive matches.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1gudc4ui said:
knownone":1gudc4ui said:

The first round is definitely a joke. But after all these 3rd world clubs that play in cow pastures are bounced out and it's just the big MLS clubs vs. big Mexican clubs, I actually enjoy CONCACAF matches.

Sounders should have won like 5-1 last night, SO many missed chances or fantastic saves out of Olimpia's goalie. Great to see with us playing mainly bench players. If CONCACAF and US Open Cup matches are good for anything, it's giving us a chance for our depth to play competitive matches.

Ignoring the fact that playing starters in the Open Cup cost us 2 months of our season :(

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14oc78l9 said:
knownone":14oc78l9 said:

It's good they won. The problem playing with mainly bench players was that they would have lost had Evans and Friberg not been substituted in. Prior to that they were terrible at finishing chances thus down 1-0 for most of the game. It was eerily similar to the losses the team was taking before the Orlando City FC game. The Sounders bench depth is extremely weak. They should have had 4-5 goals and should have won easily.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1kive94r said:
Sgt. Largent":1kive94r said:
knownone":1kive94r said:

It's good they won. The problem playing with mainly bench players was that they would have lost had Evans and Friberg not been substituted in. Prior to that they were terrible at finishing chances thus down 1-0 for most of the game. It was eerily similar to the losses the team was taking before the Orlando City FC game. The Sounders bench depth is extremely weak. They should have had 4-5 goals and should have won easily.

True, but what's more important, CONCACAF matches or making sure you make the MLS playoffs?

Can't chance wearing out your starters in CONCACAF matches when you're in the home stretch trying to make the MLS playoffs. It's a balance, and one Sigi does a good job at for the most part. I think the Sounders have only missed the 2nd round of CONCACAF once? Not sure, but Sigi usually gets us through.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2bli8c9u said:
hawkfan68":2bli8c9u said:
Sgt. Largent":2bli8c9u said:
knownone":2bli8c9u said:

True, but what's more important, CONCACAF matches or making sure you make the MLS playoffs?

Can't chance wearing out your starters in CONCACAF matches when you're in the home stretch trying to make the MLS playoffs. It's a balance, and one Sigi does a good job at for the most part. I think the Sounders have only missed the 2nd round of CONCACAF once? Not sure, but Sigi usually gets us through.

Getting through the group stage is a fairly easy formula. Win at home. Try to keep it to 0 on the road. We have a well balanced group to get that done. Both results thus far have been incredibly favorable for the sounders. 4 Points out of 6.

We have decent depth. Getting them more time will only help things.

razgriz737

Reaction score
SeatownJay":x5dfqfe0 said:
razgriz737":x5dfqfe0 said:
Kovar getting the start tonight. Good for him.
Bad for the team, though. He's played like crap in the first half.
Whole team has looked like crap to be fair. Our passing is terrible and RSL have dominated possession.

knownone

Reaction score
Why do we always struggle at Rio Tinto?

Salt Lake did a great job of suffocating Martins and Valdez every time they got the ball. They basically dared Kovar and Rose to beat them. Let's face it if Andy Rose is your most experienced creative player on the wing... you're in trouble.
They effectively took Friberg out of the game with the high press, he never really had an outlet and we struggled to maintain possession, which led to a bunch of hopeful long balls.

I don't think RSL could pull this off if Seattle had Pappa, Dempsey or Ivanschitz. We desperately need someone other than Friberg who can maintain possession in the midfield, as well as being dangerous enough to pull guys away from Martins and Valdez. Kovar kind of did that going forward but he was such a liability in possession that he hindered the attack more than helping.

If Dempsey isn't back this week... I'm officially panicking about missing the playoffs.

razgriz737

Reaction score
knownone":2b6degc0 said:
They basically dared Kovar and Rose to beat them. Let's face it if Andy Rose is your most experienced creative player on the wing... you're in trouble.
I'm hoping Ivanschitz is the guy who will fix this issue. Oba definitely needs a more experienced player feeding him. He was visibly frustrated with Kovar last night.

It also just seemed like the squad lacked chemistry. No one was on the same page. With so many new players it may just take time for everyone to get comfortable with each other. Valdez, Friberg, and Ivanschitz are new additions, Brad has been moved to a new position for the second time this year, Oba has been out for a long time, and Dempsey (and maybe Pappa) still needs to be worked into the mix. They need to gel.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
razgriz737":1hd5xncb said:
knownone":1hd5xncb said:
They basically dared Kovar and Rose to beat them. Let's face it if Andy Rose is your most experienced creative player on the wing... you're in trouble.
I'm hoping Ivanschitz is the guy who will fix this issue. Oba definitely needs a more experienced player feeding him. He was visibly frustrated with Kovar last night.

It also just seemed like the squad lacked chemistry. No one was on the same page. With so many new players it may just take time for everyone to get comfortable with each other. Valdez, Friberg, and Ivanschitz are new additions, Brad has been moved to a new position for the second time this year, Oba has been out for a long time, and Dempsey (and maybe Pappa) still needs to be worked into the mix. They need to gel.

Time is not on their side. They are barely hanging on final playoff spot. San Jose and RSL are playing better. I'm not sure why Kovar was playing since he played quite a bit on Wednesday. Had Neagle been in there, it would have been the same lineup that put up 4 goals on Orlando. It's getting to the point where they can't afford to give games away. I thought they gave one away last night.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Maybe this is just going to be a bad year for Seattle sports. Lost a Superbowl, Mariners have been awful after so much preseason hope and the Sounders struggling after having such a strong start to the season. At least expectations for the Huskies are low this year and hopefully the hawks have a great coming season.

We are in real danger of not making the play offs at this point. I think the most disappointing thing is the hope we built up after the Orlando game. We are running out of games to turn things around and the schedule isn't looking too great playing some decent teams and crappy western conference teams fighting for their play off lives too.

Probably just me but I feel Dempsey has been a bit of a disappointment for the Sounders given the salary we pay him. He's been great for the national team and still is talented but he seems to miss a lot of key games through injury, call ups and suspensions.

Ozzy has almost missed a lot of the season and when he has played hasn't been the Ozzy of past seasons.

I really hope both come back soon and play well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think maybe we jumped the gun on the excitement meter after pounding Orlando.

Obviously the 4-0 win was more about Orlando pretty much quitting on the season and playing like hot garbage, rather than the Sounders getting back on track.

But I'm still holding out hope. Dempsey and Ozzie should be back this week or next, as well as Pappa. I still like our chances if we can hang onto our playoff spot.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Are you guys so beaten down and depressed that none of you are even going to mention, let alone talk a little trash about, the match with the Timbers who you're looking up at in the standings?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2dwibbc9 said:
Are you guys so beaten down and depressed that none of you are even going to mention, let alone talk a little trash about, the match with the Timbers who you're looking up at in the standings?

Are we talking about the same Timbers that before last year's Cascadia Cup, hadn't won any hardware in either the MLS or NASL in like 40 years?

My bad, they won the Western Conference in 1975, which is that blue participation ribbon hanging all alone in their trophy case behind behind Timber Jim's single wide trailer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_ ... E2%80%9382)#Honors

So yes, congrats to the Timbers for being 5th in the Western Conference, let us know when the ticker tape parade is so we can mark our calendars and stock up on meth.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3rledbhn said:
JSeahawks":3rledbhn said:

Are we talking about the same Timbers that before last year's Cascadia Cup, hadn't won any hardware in either the MLS or NASL in like 40 years?

My bad, they won the Western Conference in 1975, which is that blue participation ribbon hanging all alone in their trophy case behind behind Timber Jim's single wide trailer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_ ... E2%80%9382)#Honors

So yes, congrats to the Timbers for being 5th in the Western Conference, let us know when the ticker tape parade is so we can mark our calendars and stock up on meth.

Coincidentally that Cup works great for cooking meth!

knownone

Reaction score
Pappa is starting... I think he will add the much needed creativity on the left side.

This is the first time in a long time i'm confident Seattle will win.

Hopefully it works out ><

Latest posts