Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Just seen Liam Ridgewell booked. I'm sure he's the clown that was wiping his arse with thousands of pounds in bank notes.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Frustrating game from the portland standpoint. Thought the timbers outplayed the sounders, just didn't finish opportunities.

knownone

Reaction score
Alan Kelly had a horrendous game. How does Kwarasey not get sent off? Throw in the laughably inconsistent calls, the game was a f***ing mess.

Seattle looked awful in the midfield. Pappa did really well to maintain possession only to give the ball away with some very poorly played passes.

Neagle looks like a man without legs, he's desperately in need of rest.

Brad Evans is proving he's not the long term answer at CM.

Once Alonso came in Seattle dominated the middle of the field, only really giving up chances on the outside.

Roman Torres was my MoTM.

I'm feeling better about this team with Alonso and Pappa fit and starting. Dempsey will make this a dangerous playoff team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1hu6ds0s said:
Frustrating game from the portland standpoint. Thought the timbers outplayed the sounders, just didn't finish opportunities.

They really outplayed them in truth.

Fun game to watch. Though Portland bossed it. Just poor with the finishing

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":28o7dzgk said:
Fun game to watch. Though Portland bossed it. Just poor with the finishing

For sure, but give some credit to Frei. Arguably his best match of the year, had some fantastic saves.

My biggest frustration with our play is the midfield...........too many veterans to be out of position and assignment confused that often. Sigi shouldn't have to be yelling at guys like Evans, Friberg and Pappa to be in their correct spots, and that includes on defensive set pieces. HORRIBLE marking.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Good win. I don't believe that Evans is happy being moved to different positions thus is probably a bit unmotivated. Probably his last year as a Sounder. Dempsey and Alonso can man the central midfield if necessary. Put Friberg on the wing with Pappa. Valdez and Martins on top. Basically a diamond midfield. Here's lineup with soccer positional numbers:

Martins - 9
Valdez - 11
Dempsey - 10
Friberg - 8
Pappa - 7
Alonso - 6
Evans - 2
Marshall - 3
Torres - 4
Mears - 5
Frei - 1

I tried to put my own diagram of the above but when submitting it didn't keep the diagram, it kept re-aligning the names into a list on there. So since I now know that I'm forum illiterate, here's a graphic that corresponds to the above numbers. I know you may know this but just tying to make what I said clearer.
midfield-diamond.jpg

knownone

Reaction score
Heard some interesting speculation...

If Seattle misses the playoffs and Sigi is fired, does Garth go after Jason Kreis who appears to be on the outs with NYCFC?

Personally, I think Kreis would be a good fit in Seattle. He's been given a poorly constructed roster in NYC and quite honestly has been set up to fail. In Salt Lake he put up similar numbers to Sigi with one of the smallest budget teams in MLS. He's proven he can win an MLS cup and he nearly won another. If you're gonna move on from Sigi, Kreis is one of the very few i'd feel comfortable with.

What do you guys think?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":2uiyrii2 said:

If Seattle misses the playoffs and Sigi is fired, does Garth go after Jason Kreis who appears to be on the outs with NYCFC?

Personally, I think Kreis would be a good fit in Seattle. He's been given a poorly constructed roster in NYC and quite honestly has been set up to fail. In Salt Lake he put up similar numbers to Sigi with one of the smallest budget teams in MLS. He's proven he can win an MLS cup and he nearly won another. If you're gonna move on from Sigi, Kreis is one of the very few i'd feel comfortable with.

What do you guys think?

There's a lot of ifs here, but if and when Sigi is gone I would like him replaced with a younger more tactically open minded manager.

It'll be interesting to see if Dempsey stays home and plays in this weekend's match against TFC, or Jurgen insists he plays against Peru and Brazil.

I get that when you have key national team players on your home club's roster, they'll be gone during key MLS matches. But it's still irritating when in a case like Dempsey missing a bunch of club time and playing in USMNT matches. Feels like at this point in time we're just paying the guy 6M to train and recover from nagging injuries for USMNT duty.

IMO the Sounders fighting for their playoff lives > friendlies.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":2ijoe7hi said:

What do you guys think?

I'd like them to move on regardless

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
DEMPSEY!!! Where have you been all season?? Great to have him back and Great win tonight but It's ridiculous that this team are so close to not making the play offs. With the starters all playing they are one of the best teams in the league if a little suspect at the back on set pieces.

3 wins should clinch a spot but some really hard games ahead. San Jose next week is a 6 pointer.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Also Ozzys yellow was BS and a costly one with him missing next week.

Hope Sigi is okay. If his health is suffering, I wonder if he walks at the end of the season?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Good win by the rave green. I thought they were going to give it away. They need 3 pts as much as can. Draws or losses don't help them at this point (especially at home). Sorry to hear that Sigi is having heath issues. Hope he gets well soon. As far as the next guy taking over should Sigi leave, I believe they will look to Brian Schmetzer to take over.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":20gvoamz said:
How about Drogba last night?

I hate Chelsea, but I don't see how any soccer fan cannot like Drogba..........one of the nicest hardest working non prima donna soccer stars of the last 25 years.

Great win for the Sounders, still worried our set piece defense, not sure why we're still having such a hard time marking.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ehv1gen said:
Uncle Si":3ehv1gen said:

I hate Chelsea, but I don't see how any soccer fan cannot like Drogba..........one of the nicest hardest working non prima donna soccer stars of the last 25 years.

Great win for the Sounders, still worried our set piece defense, not sure why we're still having such a hard time marking.

Drogba is a world class human. I respect that man a ton. He is also pretty OK at soccer.

As for set piece defending....its actually been set pieces in general. We are garbage when we take them too.

Our marking is initially poor, and gets worse if the opposition can introduce a secondary ball. Needs to be fixed ASAP.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2se3w3jf said:
Sgt. Largent":2se3w3jf said:
Uncle Si":2se3w3jf said:

Drogba is a world class human. I respect that man a ton. He is also pretty OK at soccer.

As for set piece defending....its actually been set pieces in general. We are garbage when we take them too.

Our marking is initially poor, and gets worse if the opposition can introduce a secondary ball. Needs to be fixed ASAP.

As a former defender, I can tell you it is damn near impossible to defend two soccer balls being kicked at your net at the same time.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1d7baeml said:
Smurf":1d7baeml said:
Sgt. Largent":1d7baeml said:

As a former defender, I can tell you it is damn near impossible to defend two soccer balls being kicked at your net at the same time.

lol. Ass.