Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Friberg and Martins are having a great game today. Nice goal by Valdez and a rare set piece one for the Sounders to boot! Martins has 2 goals and an assist. He was damn close to having a hat trick.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
So do they keep Valdez on top with Martins when Dempsey comes back? Valdez and Martins worked well together today.

knownone

Reaction score
Oniel Fisher looked great today. Roman Torres is a beast. This back line could be the best in MLS.

Valdez movement off the ball is something we've been sorely missing.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
hawkfan68":ccykia98 said:
So do they keep Valdez on top with Martins when Dempsey comes back? Valdez and Martins worked well together today.
If Sigi is smart (I know, big if), he'll play Valdez & Martins up top with Dempsey underneath. Something like Si's favored 4-diamond-2. Once everyone is healthy, I'd like to see this formation run out.

Frei
Mears, Torres, Marshall, Evans
Olonso
Friberg, Ivanshitz
Dempsey
Valdez, Martins

razgriz737

Reaction score
Oba was just ridiculous today. So glad to have him back at just the right time. He elevates the play of everyone around him.

Valdez and Torres were both as good as advertised.

Stoked to see our lineups once everyone is healthy.

knownone

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1671ikh6 said:
hawkfan68":1671ikh6 said:
If Sigi is smart (I know, big if), he'll play Valdez & Martins up top with Dempsey underneath. Something like Si's favored 4-diamond-2. Once everyone is healthy, I'd like to see this formation run out.

Frei
Mears, Torres, Marshall, Evans
Olonso
Friberg, Ivanshitz
Dempsey
Valdez, Martins
I'd rather see Valdez underneath Dempsey and Martins. However, I'd expect Sigi to just move Valdez out wide to the Neagle role.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Man it's gonna be fun watching Sounders games again when Dempsey is back and fully playing.

Smurf

Reaction score
We play a game pretty much every 3 days through August. We likely won't have our "Best XI" on the field at one time until September. This team went from scraping the bottom of the barrel for players to deepest roster in MLS.

Ivanschitz was supposed to start today but was scratched due to a tweak he felt in his calf. He'll probably go wednesday.

My thoughts:

-Nice to have Oba back to being Oba.
-Evans-Friberg was a great pairing in the center of the park.
-Erik Friberg was the best player on the pitch not named Oba Martins.
-Fisher and Remick are the future at outside back of this club. The fight for minutes will be a good one.
-Rose was not horrible. In fact, I would say he is playing up to the potential that Sigi sees in him.
-It was really apparent that Valdez and Martins played a season together in Russia.
-Torres is an absolute monster. He's fast, big, strong and extremely aggressive. He won a few balls I thought he had no business getting too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":l09cw00v said:
We play a game pretty much every 3 days through August. We likely won't have our "Best XI" on the field at one time until September. This team went from scraping the bottom of the barrel for players to deepest roster in MLS.

Ivanschitz was supposed to start today but was scratched due to a tweak he felt in his calf. He'll probably go wednesday.

My thoughts:

-Fisher and Remick are the future at outside back of this club. The fight for minutes will be a good one.
-Rose was not horrible. In fact, I would say he is playing up to the potential that Sigi sees in him.
-It was really apparent that Valdez and Martins played a season together in Russia.
-Torres is an absolute monster. He's fast, big, strong and extremely aggressive. He won a few balls I thought he had no business getting too.

Perfect summary.

I'll be honest, I wasn't all that excited for Friberg coming back, I was underwhelmed by his last stint in a Sounders kit. But I loved what I saw yesterday..........he did a fantastic job of distributing and getting everyone involved.

Friberg is a selfless mid, which I love. He has no problem playing the supporting role...........which means he should fit in very well with this group of players this time around.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":sj1o8roc said:
Smurf":sj1o8roc said:

My thoughts:

Perfect summary.

I'll be honest, I wasn't all that excited for Friberg coming back, I was underwhelmed by his last stint in a Sounders kit. But I loved what I saw yesterday..........he did a fantastic job of distributing and getting everyone involved.

Friberg is a selfless mid, which I love. He has no problem playing the supporting role...........which means he should fit in very well with this group of players this time around.

Friberg was awesome yesterday. Fearless in defense, distributed well. He and Evans made Kaka invisible.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smurf":12gs1l0l said:
Sgt. Largent":12gs1l0l said:
Smurf":12gs1l0l said:

My thoughts:

Perfect summary.

Friberg was awesome yesterday. Fearless in defense, distributed well. He and Evans made Kaka invisible.

Friberg was definitely the man of the match, in my opinion. In Fri's first stint with Sounders, I believe they had Alvaro Fernandez and Mauro Rosales on the team still. Both guys are not around so he probably feels more comfortable as a distributor. That and his corner kicks are a thing of beauty. Hopefully his presence will help the Sounders in set pieces. It already did yesterday.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I've been impressed with Friberg the last few games. some really nice crosses. If Ivanshitchz (sp) is any good I think Pappa is gone. I doubt we see much of Pineda outwith CCL games, I think injuries have caught up to him.

At the end of the season I wouldn't be shocked if we moved on from Ozzy given injuries and salary.

I'm feeling really confident after the last game. If we make the play offs I think we have a good shout of winning it. Suddenly our depth is looking much better. As long as Oba stays fit and Dempsey comes back on form.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":tyl2uwjc said:
I've been impressed with Friberg the last few games. some really nice crosses. If Ivanshitchz (sp) is any good I think Pappa is gone. I doubt we see much of Pineda outwith CCL games, I think injuries have caught up to him..

I said last year that Pappa was a 70 minute sub player, he just doesn't have the fitness to make it 90 minutes anymore.

Surprisingly he's only making 75k per year, so I'd be fine with bringing him back as a swing starter/bench type player. He's still a good player that can add some excellent depth.

Evans IMO is the odd man out with all these new additions. No way in hell he's back next year with a 300k salary.

knownone

Reaction score
I'm with Glasgow. I think Ozzie could be out, Evans had the best CDM performance I've seen all year.

There have been rumors floating around that Seattle was going to add Hector Villalba in the transfer window but it fell through, evidently they are intent on pursuing him in January. If there is any semblance of truth to those rumors, the only logical DP to move would be Ozzie.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ewvbln2 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2ewvbln2 said:
I've been impressed with Friberg the last few games. some really nice crosses. If Ivanshitchz (sp) is any good I think Pappa is gone. I doubt we see much of Pineda outwith CCL games, I think injuries have caught up to him..

I said last year that Pappa was a 70 minute sub player, he just doesn't have the fitness to make it 90 minutes anymore.

Surprisingly he's only making 75k per year, so I'd be fine with bringing him back as a swing starter/bench type player. He's still a good player that can add some excellent depth.

Evans IMO is the odd man out with all these new additions. No way in hell he's back next year with a 300k salary.

I agree with you on Evans. Given his salary and his last interview I think he's gone. He'll get a starting gig at RB somewhere else in the league.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":10yl9ly1 said:
Sgt. Largent":10yl9ly1 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":10yl9ly1 said:

I agree with you on Evans. Given his salary and his last interview I think he's gone. He'll get a starting gig at RB somewhere else in the league.

I actually think Evans has improved as a player after spending the past couple years with the USMNT. He's far more aggressive turning and pushing up field as a mid, which probably stems from HAVING to be the aggressor playing RB for Jurgen..........and now CB for the Sounders.

But yeah, 300k is crazy money for a bench player on the Sounders, which is what he is now with all these new players here. Unless we decide to cut Ozzie and keep Brad at defensive mid, which he played well Sunday.

Smurf

Reaction score
I have a hard time thinking Sigi moves his captain at season end. They are pretty much a packaged deal at this point. Evans entire pro career has been played with Sigi as his manager. The trust is real.

More likely Alonso's deal gets reworked, or he gets moved.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!

90 minutes of frustration with Olympia sitting on a one goal lead, play acting time wasting, generall being cheating dirty SOB's only for Friberg to score and a 95 minute Evans penalty.

Karma is a bitch.

Latest posts