Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Played well so far, especially Friberg. Zach Scott has been suspect though. For all the money LA spend on DP's their defense is poor.

Evans in midfield is interesting, wonder if that means that a) Pappa is finished as a Sounder and B) Torres is coming (he didn't start for his team today)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Does Frei even stop any ball kicked toward him (besides ones kicked back to him by his teammates)?

Stefan Frei is about as useful as the following image -

Tripod Turnstiles Bridge Style Bevel

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2gjao9bq said:
knownone":2gjao9bq said:
Read the last few posts and got a little bored at work...
Average age of LA Galaxy best XI(most starts) in 2014 29.90. Average age of the Sounders projected XI with new signings 29.36. Oddly enough every galaxy team of the last 4 years was between 28.5 and 30 with the exception being this year.

Dating back to 2010 every Supporters Shield winner has an average XI age over 27.5 which ranks among the oldest in the League...

Valid point...and as I said (and Glasgow reiterated) relying on these older players will only take the league so far. This is an MLS problem. Don't be fixated on average age but what at whst age the quality exists.

Given Galaxy's trophies however we can assert they are buying better older players, which was my argument in regards to the two new boys. Either go in for the higher end DP or try something different. I don't think Seattle can win a trophy with the current roster.

Given Seattle's been the assumed face of the MLS for so long, don't they need one soon?

If you think the two new signings get it done then that's good.
So let's look at average age, shall we? Average age in this being the average of the top ten field players (no goalkeepers) by minutes played. Here's the top 9 teams in the current Supporter's Shield standings (because Seattle is currently 9th).

1: DC United - 27.6
2: Vancouver Whitecaps - 27.5
3: FC Dallas - 26.5
4: Sporting Kansas City - 26.2
5: LA Galaxy - 28.5
6: Portland Timbers - 27.2
7: Columbus Crew - 27.4
8: New York Red Bulls - 26.5
9: Seattle Sounders - 28.9

Seattle has the oldest average, and it doesn't even count the 35 year old Zach Scott or the 30 year old Obafemi Martins. Only one other team averages over 28 years old, while three of them are under 27. The league is getting younger at the top.

knownone

Reaction score
This is f***ing embarassing... If Oba and Dempsey are out next week I'm probably not gonna watch.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Neagle took Keanes first half invisibility cloak. Sounders have had chances as well, just been woeful at finishing.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Whoever is the fitness coach needs fired for all these hamstring injuries, also seems like an age for our players to recover from injuries. Not warming up properly is a joke whether it be Dempsey or Barrett. We need our two strikers back asap and the new signings playing. Time/games are running out and we are sliding down the table after such a strong start to the season.

Not making the play offs is inexcusable for the Sounders.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2ogamizv said:
Uncle Si":2ogamizv said:
knownone":2ogamizv said:
Average age of LA Galaxy best XI(most starts) in 2014 29.90. Average age of the Sounders projected XI with new signings 29.36. Oddly enough every galaxy team of the last 4 years was between 28.5 and 30 with the exception being this year.

Dating back to 2010 every Supporters Shield winner has an average XI age over 27.5 which ranks among the oldest in the League...

Valid point...and as I said (and Glasgow reiterated) relying on these older players will only take the league so far. This is an MLS problem. Don't be fixated on average age but what at whst age the quality exists.

Given Galaxy's trophies however we can assert they are buying better older players, which was my argument in regards to the two new boys. Either go in for the higher end DP or try something different. I don't think Seattle can win a trophy with the current roster.

Given Seattle's been the assumed face of the MLS for so long, don't they need one soon?

So let's look at average age, shall we? Average age in this being the average of the top ten field players (no goalkeepers) by minutes played. Here's the top 9 teams in the current Supporter's Shield standings (because Seattle is currently 9th).

Seattle has the oldest average, and it doesn't even count the 35 year old Zach Scott or the 30 year old Obafemi Martins. Only one other team averages over 28 years old, while three of them are under 27. The league is getting younger at the top.

And the Sounders are falling from the top...

So thanks?

knownone

Reaction score
Uncle Si":4r6ge002 said:
SeatownJay":4r6ge002 said:
Uncle Si":4r6ge002 said:
knownone":4r6ge002 said:

And the Sounders are falling from the top...

So thanks?
Yeah... Not sure what he's getting at.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
He's saying the league is getting younger at the top of the table...

Seatown...not sure where your data came from but any chance you know the age of the DPs of the those top 9 teams?

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1508htdl said:

Seatown...not sure where your data came from but any chance you know the age of the DPs of the those top 9 teams?
This. I'm basically agreeing with Si. The teams that are building with youth, and doing it smartly, are starting to claim the top of the table.

knownone

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1b5kdtjo said:
Uncle Si":1b5kdtjo said:

This. I'm basically agreeing with Si. The teams that are building with youth, and doing it smartly, are starting to claim the top of the table.
Are you? Based on your numbers it looks pretty even.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":3mbvmtgz said:
SeatownJay":3mbvmtgz said:
Uncle Si":3mbvmtgz said:

Full year is pretty significant

knownone

Reaction score
Uncle Si":22gtzcnz said:
knownone":22gtzcnz said:
SeatownJay":22gtzcnz said:
Uncle Si":22gtzcnz said:

Fair point. It definitely shows young teams are performing.

I don't think that teams like KC, Dallas, Vancouver, and Portland are better teams than LA or Seattle, They've just had better luck thus far. You look at KC 4 of their 5 best players (Besler, Espinoza, Dwyer, Zusi, Feilhaber) are in their top 5 for minutes played.
Compare that to Seattle where 1 of their best 5 players (Oba, Dempsey, Pappa, Marshall, Alonso) are in the top 5 for minutes played.
This isn't because of age. Martins had somewhat of a freak injury. Pappa had international duty, returns then gets a DUI. Dempsey gets suspended, then has international duty for a month. Only Alonso could be deemed age related.

I think LA is the best team in MLS and if Seattle can integrate the new guys in quickly, and get Dempsey and Martins back they are head and shoulders above everyone except LA.

Smurf

Reaction score
I'd be interested to see the average age of the players who have played since we got knocked out of the USOC.....

Not really at all. I don't care. It's irrelevant to the rest of this season.

The team is built how its built this year, and results are the only thing that matters. Right now we are shite. I know it'll turn around. Just hope that its in time.

Sigi's job is on the line (yes, I really think so).

Today, despite the result, was a step in the right direction.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":2kz52ot9 said:
Uncle Si":2kz52ot9 said:
knownone":2kz52ot9 said:
SeatownJay":2kz52ot9 said:

Fair point. It definitely shows young teams are performing.

I don't think that teams like KC, Dallas, Vancouver, and Portland are better teams than LA or Seattle, They've just had better luck thus far. You look at KC 4 of their 5 best players (Besler, Espinoza, Dwyer, Zusi, Feilhaber) are in their top 5 for minutes played.
Compare that to Seattle where 1 of their best 5 players (Oba, Dempsey, Pappa, Marshall, Alonso) are in the top 5 for minutes played.
This isn't because of age. Martins had somewhat of a freak injury. Pappa had international duty, returns then gets a DUI. Dempsey gets suspended, then has international duty for a month. Only Alonso could be deemed age related.

I think LA is the best team in MLS and if Seattle can integrate the new guys in quickly, and get Dempsey and Martins back they are head and shoulders above everyone except LA.

The point is the trend (and "head and shoulders?") and the Sounders may have missed a chance to address their future when they addressed their present. Dempsey missing time may not be due to age, but his level of play is. He's not the player he once was. He's not even the player Robbie Keane currently is.

That's it, really. A guy like Jordan Morris does both. So does Ibarra (available or not). I think we can put it to bed until the end of the season, after the two internationals have been fully vetted, and determine if it worked.

Sigi's job is officially on the line now, so I think it will need to or a restructure of the organization may be coming along soon.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
To be fair to the Sounders, it's not like they haven't tried at all to get younger talent. It just hasn't worked out so far. Thomas hasn't meshed with the rest of the team like expected. Andy Craven gets injured. Oniel Fisher, Cristian Roldan, and Aaron Kovar are trying to learn on the job. If Seattle hits on just a couple of them this is a different season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3ljz9hw7 said:
To be fair to the Sounders, it's not like they haven't tried at all to get younger talent. It just hasn't worked out so far. Thomas hasn't meshed with the rest of the team like expected. Andy Craven gets injured. Oniel Fisher, Cristian Roldan, and Aaron Kovar are trying to learn on the job. If Seattle hits on just a couple of them this is a different season.

I think the Sounders have done reasonably well in bringing youth in, but so have most clubs (everyone vets younger players, some make it, some don't. The Sounders youth core is no more significant than any other team, and may even be considered less impactful than some clubs.. including Sporting and DC who are using young players at very key positions to good success). My point on the signings was that it felt like papering over cracks in an attempt to get something from this season. I felt they could have been more innovative with their player recruitment and set themselves up for the present and future. Again, if Jordan Morris committed this is a whole different post.

However, most Sounder fans tell me that its just a matter of time before a. everyone is healthy and the team is the 2nd best in the MLS again. 2. this window is not the time to address long term needs as much as it is immediate ones.

To be seen I suppose. I have my doubts on a. and disagree with 2. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Latest posts