Seattle fans Over 30 years Old Thread

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Age 57 in a week and a half......Bart Starr, Johnny Unitus, (the one, the only) Jim Brown, Sam Huff, Ray Nitschke, Gale Sayers, Dick Butkus, Y.A. Tittle, John Brodie, Deacon Jones, Roman Gabriel, Larry Wilson, John Mackey, Fran Tarkenton, Darryl Lamonica, Ted Hendricks, Willie Lanier, Otis Taylor, Alan Page, Lance Alworth, Joe Namath, Don Maynard and I could go on and on and......

BTW, that 60 yd. run by Curt on his first carry as a Hawk was on the road vs. K.C. if my mind isn't gone.

Boiler

Reaction score
I guess I'm obligated to check in. I've been a Seahawks fan for about 35 years. I've been on the planet for somewhat longer.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
42 Years old here ... (but inside, I'll always be 24.) :lol:

My family and I moved up to North Central Washington in 1977 and I quickly just fell in to the love that is the Seahawks from there. I have so many memories obviously that it would be impossible to relate them all.

I remember being at my grandmother's house in Seattle, hanging around with my aunts and uncles, talking Seahawks (that would be been the late 70's) -- Zorn, Largent, Sims, etc. One of the coolest things for me as a kid was those Seahawks trading cards that we used to get inside the Snyder’s bread packages that my grandmother bought. I used to get really excited to have peanut butter sandwiches because I knew I was going to get those Seahawks cards and add to my collection. Those were the coolest.

Speaking of cards I own a card of every single Steve Largent card ever produced (to my knowledge I have all of them). No amount of money could get me to part with my Steve Largent rookie card, which Largent autographed when I met him in 1990.

One other cool thing I remember from back in the day was the Hawk Block. Remember that blue foam Seahawks brick that you could throw at the TV (and often would) if the Hawks were playing crappy. What a great idea.

I certainly could have used that block during that 1992 season, let me tell ya. I suffered through each and every game and proudly touted my Seahawks gear despite the snickers of a lot of folks.

I remember many times being a young kid sitting around watching the Seahawks with my aunts and uncles as well. I watched that 1983 AFC Championship game against the Raiders with my Uncle Mike (I was 12 at the time) and having him proudly tell me that the Hawks had one of the best defenses in the NFL. We were bummed out beyond belief at the result ... and what made matters worse was that my God parents and their kids were all die hard Raiders fans. When we visited them later, they had to rub it in and go on and on about the great Marcus Allen. Ugh!

And I remember watching Seahawks football for countless Sundays on end growing up with my dad. After church we would always hurry up, have lunch, and park ourselves in front of the tube to cheer on (or sometimes yell at) the Hawks. To this day, my dad and I still talk Seahawks football whenever we get together, my dad always asking for my assessments of the offense, defense, and what’s going on.

Speaking of Joe Nash and the Trick Knee Play … my dad STILL gets a laugh out of that to this day. For those who don’t remember or don’t know what we’re talking about, Joe Nash would (from time to time) conveniently have a knee injury late in the game when the Hawks would be down and usually out of time outs. He’d be helped off limping … and then miraculously be healed a few minutes later. I remember once when the Hawks were playing the Bengals he pulled that, writhing around in “pain” on the ground (we were out of time outs) – I think he did that a couple of times in that game. We actually pulled that one out IIRC in part because of that bit of master acting

I remember back in the summer of 1989 being in Chelan with a couple of my friends and meeting Fredd Young just walking down the street there by the park. He actually stopped and talked to us for a bit. Bozworth had just been drafted and one of my friends asked Young for an assessment. Young was pretty blatantly honest in saying he thought he (Young) was a better MLB. He was right. Nice guy.

I fondly remember many games listening to that golden voice of Pete Gross broadcasting games. Who could ever forget the excitement – the overall enthusiasm he brought to Seahawks football. Pete Gross SHOULD be here to witness what this Seahawks team has become. That said, he undoubtedly is.

I will always have a great fondness of John L. Williams, Kenny Easley, Jacob Green, Joe Nash, Jeff Bryant, Fredd Young, Curt Warner, Dave Krieg, and Paul Skansi. MAN could we ever use John L. right now or what? That guy had some of the biggest mits you ever saw -- what a great blocker and weapon out of the backfield.

But of course my fondest memories of Hawk football growing up are of the immortal Steve Largent. I used to sit transfixed watching #80 zig zag across the field, spinning opposing DB’s around like a top, and somehow snatching every ball thrown his way within a 10 yard radius. Unbelievable for a supposedly too short, too small, too slow WR. Watching that comeback against the Bengals when Largent got his career 100th TD – OH! That still gives me chills to this day. Largent always has been (and probably always will be) my favorite Seahawk of all time. The way that he approached the game and life – I personally always looked up to him as an example of how to be an athlete, father, community leader, etc. I’d LOVE to have a real extended sit down meeting with him over coffee, dinner, or whatever someday. That would be unreal.

Those are just a few things that spring to mind for me.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a question -- something that's always bothered me a bit because I never knew what happened. Maybe one of you could help shed some light on something for me.

To this day, the one and only Seahawks game that I've ever attended was December 23, 1989 (I've just never been able to personally afford tickets and it's never worked out somehow to ever be able to go. I watch ever game faithfully though and hope someday to actually get in to see a game at QWest -- maybe when my sons are a little older.) The Seahawks were playing the Redskins and it was Steve Largent's last game. I was ecstatic to go and watch my hero play. My dad had gotten he and I tickets as a Christmas present to me ... but man, the game ended up being a real lump of coal in the stocking, as Mark Rypien, Art Monk, and those guys tore us up to the tune of 29-0. To this day, my dad and I still wonder if the Pregame ceremony with Largent kind of deflated the Seahawk players a bit.

Anyway, here is my question for anyone who happened to be there that day. Along with the game, my dad also got a hold of special tickets for an event afterwards to celebrate Largent and everything he accomplished in his career. Steve Largent was supposed to attend ... but the guest of honor ... never showed. Eugene Robinson did stop by to talk to the crowd that was there ... but Largent never came.

So, for anyone who happened to be there at that event that day, can you tell me what the heck happened? Did you ever hear why the guest of honor never showed up to his own party? I know losing 29-0 was a real bummer of a note for him to go out on ... but that seems very out of character for Largent. Can anyone help shed some light here? I've always been curious to know what happened.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3ksgsz2e said:
Age 57 in a week and a half......Bart Starr, Johnny Unitus, (the one, the only) Jim Brown, Sam Huff, Ray Nitschke, Gale Sayers, Dick Butkus, Y.A. Tittle, John Brodie, Deacon Jones, Roman Gabriel, Larry Wilson, John Mackey, Fran Tarkenton, Darryl Lamonica, Ted Hendricks, Willie Lanier, Otis Taylor, Alan Page, Lance Alworth, Joe Namath, Don Maynard and I could go on and on and......

BTW, that 60 yd. run by Curt on his first carry as a Hawk was on the road vs. K.C. if my mind isn't gone.

52 in November. Remember the 7-11 slurpee plastic cups with real NFL players on them? I followed O.J Simpsons quest for 2,000 yds in a single season (14 games back then) which he accomplished against the Jets I believe while the snow fell. 73'?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":sbyhcs8l said:
hawksfansinceday1":sbyhcs8l said:

52 in November. Remember the 7-11 slurpee plastic cups with real NFL players on them? I followed O.J Simpsons quest for 2,000 yds in a single season (14 games back then) which he accomplished against the Jets I believe while the snow fell. 73'?
Don't remember the year without looking it up, but do remember it was vs. the Jets and in the falling snow. Our memories are good! You youngsters who only know O.J. from his legal issues and movie roles missed one of the greatest RBs to ever play the game. Not a quality human being though.

A

Anonymous

SeahawkFrost":2l6k5v0c said:
47 here, before the hawks were born I was a fan of a few teams like the dolphins, redskins and the steeler's I'm assuming because those were the teams that were on TV the most.

My first memory of the seahawks was watching them on Monday night football at the bowling alley. My mom was a league bowler for most of her life and my brother and I would always go with her and watch MNF. The specific game was the fake field goal with Efrain Herrera. There was something about the trick plays that intrigued me.

I'm sorry, what did you say?

White Devil

Reaction score
41 - Been a Hawk fan for as long as I can remember. The funny thing is that I've never lived in Seattle, instead I'm on the opposite coast for my entire life. Born in Florida, all my family are Miami Dolphins fans...I had Grandparents that lived in Seattle, which led to me (always the Black Sheep of the family) to choose the Seahawks as MY team.

Visited Seattle once in the early 80's and made sure it included a drive by of the Kingdome, and a trip to the top of the Space Needle.

Received news clippings or off the shelf nickknacks from my Grandparents throughout the years.

Always a huge football fan and stood out in neighborhood pickup games in Florida wearing my Home or Away Seahawks #45 jersey...and yes Safety was my preferred position.

In 2006 I was able to enjoy the pleasure of attending a home game and the crazies populating the Hawks Nest while the Hawks absolutely destroyed the visiting Giants. One of the absolute greatest days of my life. The FOX crew was there for the pre-game show in the front of the stadium and it was amazing to be surrounded (Finally!) by so many rabid Seahawk fans!

Tz2OI75m VAGzLHZm D0LjAZDm

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":37nvlnkj said:
Speaking of Joe Nash and the Trick Knee Play … my dad STILL gets a laugh out of that to this day. For those who don’t remember or don’t know what we’re talking about, Joe Nash would (from time to time) conveniently have a knee injury late in the game when the Hawks would be down and usually out of time outs. He’d be helped off limping … and then miraculously be healed a few minutes later. I remember once when the Hawks were playing the Bengals he pulled that, writhing around in “pain” on the ground (we were out of time outs) – I think he did that a couple of times in that game. We actually pulled that one out IIRC in part because of that bit of master acting

I remember them using it against the Oilers when they were running the "Run and Shoot" in the playoffs. I always thought it was Blair Bush that did it, but Nash would work just fine. That was pretty funny stuff. Late game action, under 5 minutes and there is the injured player, grabbing the knee, sitting out a play or then re-entering and repeating. "There is that trick knee again, those things can just come out of nowhere". Great stuff.

rigelian

Reaction score
Dirtball":27c7w3g2 said:
Born 1956 (stop laughing), been a rabid fan since 1976 (1975 if you count when they announced we were getting a team).
Went to the first practice in Cheney.
Never wavered. 100% all in from day 1

Hate to admit it but I was a 49er fan until the day the Seahawks were created.

John Brodie, Gene Washington and Cedric Hardman... right? I was a 49ers fan too. I bet you still hate the Cowboys.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
43. My dad got me into football when I was 5 (1975) and I was instantly hooked. Dolphins were my favorite team that year since the 'Hawks were still a year from being born. Fanatic since the day they arrived. Parents had season tix until Behring ruined the team. I got to go to their first playoff game, a 31-7 thrashing of the Broncos, because it was Christmas Eve ('83) and my mom had to stay home to prepare the house for guests.
My dad passed in March '05, so after being a lifelong fan of all the mediocre teams, he didn't get to experience that nearly magical season (XL would have probably done him in anyway). When the final second ticked off in the NFC Championship, I lost it. A lot of emotion. And a lot of beers.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
SeahawksBMX":zei4otpn said:
43. My dad got me into football when I was 5 (1975) and I was instantly hooked. Dolphins were my favorite team that year since the 'Hawks were still a year from being born. Fanatic since the day they arrived. Parents had season tix until Behring ruined the team. I got to go to their first playoff game, a 31-7 thrashing of the Broncos, because it was Christmas Eve ('83) and my mom had to stay home to prepare the house for guests.
My dad passed in March '05, so after being a lifelong fan of all the mediocre teams, he didn't get to experience that nearly magical season (XL would have probably done him in anyway). When the final second ticked off in the NFC Championship, I lost it. A lot of emotion. And a lot of beers.

The Dolphins were still feeling the love from the 72 season, which I do not specifically remember, but there was Dolphin gear in all the stores. Dolphins, Steelers and Packers all had tons of merchandise selling. Even here in the NW it was popular.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":24ydmcgq said:
SeahawksBMX":24ydmcgq said:

The Dolphins were still feeling the love from the 72 season, which I do not specifically remember, but there was Dolphin gear in all the stores. Dolphins, Steelers and Packers all had tons of merchandise selling. Even here in the NW it was popular.

Yep, I had a Dolphins light switch cover in my bedroom from '75 until they beat the 'Hawks 31-13 in '77.
After that beatdown, I understood: my allegiance could only be to One Team :icon_new:

dsquid

Reaction score
48 years old... started following in 1985, after living overseas (family work/travel.) Never had a local affiliation since we moved so much.
My goal was to get away from the Giants bandwagon (my dorm mates were obnoxious,) so I picked the team the furthest away from NY that I could.

48 years old.
Superbowl 48
Superbowl to be held in the Giants' stadium.

It's all coming together.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
44, somewhere I have a picture of my car parked on the 100ft level of the kingdome. The company i worked for used tos et up the old US-west Cell phone Kiosks and we had access to the dome most of the week. you could drive a truck up those ramps, literally.

drdiags

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1rie09gf said:
Hawkscanner":1rie09gf said:

I remember them using it against the Oilers when they were running the "Run and Shoot" in the playoffs. I always thought it was Blair Bush that did it, but Nash would work just fine. That was pretty funny stuff. Late game action, under 5 minutes and there is the injured player, grabbing the knee, sitting out a play or then re-entering and repeating. "There is that trick knee again, those things can just come out of nowhere". Great stuff.

Why would Blair Bush do it, since he was the center? You would only do it if you were on defense trying to slow down the opponents on offense.

As far as Joe Nash doing this when the team was out of time-outs Scanner, not sure I remember it that way. Knox had Joe do it several times against the Bengals' Boomer Esiason and Sam Wyche in the playoffs, when the Bengals were using their face paced offense and the substitution rules were not in place to offer the defense a fair chance to substitute when the offense did. The NFL updated the rules on how the offense has to allow the defense a chance to substitute if the offense did after this game. Though that may not be the full or exact story either.

Oh yeah, 58 yrs old. Seahawks fan since 1979. Grew up a Bears fan during Sayers, Butkus and others time frame until going away for military service in 1974.