Seattle fans Over 30 years Old Thread

TriCHawk

Reaction score
minormillikin":23l3tg30 said:
35, with vague memories of Curt Warner and Dave Krieg. Though, I didn't really pay much attention to the NFL until the mid 90s.

Me too. Lots of memories of Krieg and Largent. And the Boz.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
rideaducati":btijeetj said:
LudwigsDrummer":btijeetj said:
58, yeah...so what.

Tell me about Curt's 1st carry as a pro.

60 yards of beauty. Forecast of great things to come. Too bad it came in a loss.

Ding ding ding...we have a winner!

Just don't ask what have you won... :th2thumbs:

The Radish

Reaction score
When you started your NFL experience with the likes of Paul Hornung, Ray Nitschke, Bart Star, Jerry Cramer, Vince Lombari live makes you over 30.

Of course that was before the existance of the Seattle Seahawks.

I wasn't a die hard Seattle fan in the early days but a die hard NFL fan. Boy has that changed. So my memorys of the team is mixed with flashes of other teams and great players.

:les:

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
Largent, Easley, Warner, Ground Chuck, Kreig. These are the names I cut my teeth on..

Established 1982. Been going hard ever since from the middle of Tennessee. I'm a man on an island here.

SeahawkFrost

Reaction score
47 here, before the hawks were born I was a fan of a few teams like the dolphins, redskins and the steeler's I'm assuming because those were the teams that were on TV the most.

My first memory of the seahawks was watching them on Monday night football at the bowling alley. My mom was a league bowler for most of her life and my brother and I would always go with her and watch MNF. The specific game was the fake field goal with Efrain Herrera. There was something about the trick plays that intrigued me.

halps80

Reaction score
40. Moved to Marysville from New Jersey in 1979. Became a fan in 82 - I was 9 and my dad bought me a pennant. Next year they hired Knox, drafted Curt, and I've been a crazy fan since. Moved back to the east coast (PA) in 85, and I can assure you I was the only kid in my middle school with an official KIRO number 12 FAN sweatshirt. I moved to Seattle for 1.5 years after college, 96-97 seasons, and had season tix. During that time I met a guy from PA who moved out just for the 97 season, lived int he apartment under me, and had tix about 20 rows away. We get together every game day, and carry the torch back east. We travel to games at least once a season, and will be in Phoenix Oct 17.

Dirtball

Reaction score
Born 1956 (stop laughing), been a rabid fan since 1976 (1975 if you count when they announced we were getting a team).
Went to the first practice in Cheney.
Never wavered. 100% all in from day 1

Hate to admit it but I was a 49er fan until the day the Seahawks were created.

HawkWow

Reaction score
The Radish":3pkeoizd said:
When you started your NFL experience with the likes of Paul Hornung, Ray Nitschke, Bart Star, Jerry Cramer, Vince Lombari live makes you over 30.

I wasn't a die hard Seattle fan in the early days but a die hard NFL fan. Boy has that changed. So my memorys of the team is mixed with flashes of other teams and great players.

I came along right on the heels of Hornung and Taylor. Quite the "duo they were (by all accounts). Grew up watching the others you mention. Remember Johnny Brockington? He was also a beast.

* Great Lombardi story: Hornung and Taylor were like rock stars. Loved the nightlife and ladies. After fining both for curfew violations numerous times, Lombardi approached them and they immediately said "we know, another $500 fine". Lombardi, always quick of wit, replied..."hell no, if you guys are finding girls worth $500, next time you're taking me with you".

Additionally, a very hung over Jim Taylor, not expecting to play in the SB, was forced into action and (I believe) played his best game ever, winning MVP honors.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
The Radish":1tb3v6nm said:

More power to those weak knees of yours, Les! Your memory is holding up well, however! Got to say that even those of us "old timers" who remember the NFL in the 50's....and it was a primitive game back then....no artificial turf in those days...one was lucky if you could read a player's number by half time. Seattle had been awaiting word from the NFL for several years regarding a NFL franchise. Once the news broke....Seattle and the PNW have never been the same! I loved those old videos of the "old time players" and their shenanigans! Back in the early days, Monday Night Football was a "big deal"....a really BIG DEAL! Well I remember that first game and Howard Cosell! We were on "Cloud 9"!

The Radish

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":259m4icf said:
Just noticed that Jack Patera is now 80 yrs old!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Patera

Jesus Stan, someone older than you?

:D

I didn't check the link, does he still live in the Cle Elum/Roslyn area? Well I did check the link and see he still lives in Cle Elum. We were there for a weekend visiting camping kids last summer I wish I had taken the time to drive past his house. The old road from I-90 to Rosyln used to go right by his house as I recall.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
The Radish":1nn1ei1e said:

Thanks for recognizing Jerry Cramer... Great Idaho guy that has been totally overlooked by the HOF... All of his team mates from the Packers have been inducted, but Jerry keeps getting overlooked... Yes, I'm old enough to remember every player you mentioned, but I really didn't want to tell anyone, so it's between you and me... I'm really looking forward to 40... :34853_tinfoil:

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
The Radish":3cot7glj said:
Bigpumpkin":3cot7glj said:
Just noticed that Jack Patera is now 80 yrs old!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Patera

Jesus Stan, someone older than you?

:D

I didn't check the link, does he still live in the Cle Elum/Roslyn area? Well I did check the link and see he still lives in Cle Elum. We were there for a weekend visiting camping kids last summer I wish I had taken the time to drive past his house. The old road from I-90 to Rosyln used to go right by his house as I recall.

Ol' Jack was quite the racquet ball player in his day. He played with a "serious attitude".
I wonder if he has ever raised the 12th Man flag?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hawkboi":a77bc9mz said:
The Radish":a77bc9mz said:

Thanks for recognizing Jerry Cramer... Great Idaho guy that has been totally overlooked by the HOF... All of his team mates from the Packers have been inducted, but Jerry keeps getting overlooked... Yes, I'm old enough to remember every player you mentioned, but I really didn't want to tell anyone, so it's between you and me... I'm really looking forward to 40... :34853_tinfoil:

He'd get more recognition with his name spelled properly...It's Kramer. ; )

EDIT: He's written a couple books if anyone's interested. To those too young to remember. Kramer threw arguably the most significant block in football history, freeing Starr to go in from 1 in the ice bowl to beat Landry and the Cowboys.
Had no idea he wasn't in the hall...crazy.

The Radish

Reaction score
HawkWow":17e31og7 said:
Hawkboi":17e31og7 said:
The Radish":17e31og7 said:

He'd get more recognition with his name spelled properly...It's Kramer. ; )

EDIT: He's written a couple books if anyone's interested. To those too young to remember. Kramer threw arguably the most significant block in football history, freeing Starr to go in from 1 in the ice bowl to beat Landry and the Cowboys.
Had no idea he wasn't in the hall...crazy.

Aww you're right about the spelling, damn. I too thought he was in the hall. He's considered one of the greatest linesman of his time and as you say his block gave Green Bay the famed Ice Bowl game and on to what was eventually called the SuperB owl.

The Radish

Reaction score
HawkWow":32nt1k0u said:
The Radish":32nt1k0u said:

I came along right on the heels of Hornung and Taylor. Quite the "duo they were (by all accounts). Grew up watching the others you mention. Remember Johnny Brockington? He was also a beast.

* Great Lombardi story: Hornung and Taylor were like rock stars. Loved the nightlife and ladies. After fining both for curfew violations numerous times, Lombardi approached them and they immediately said "we know, another $500 fine". Lombardi, always quick of wit, replied..."hell no, if you guys are finding girls worth $500, next time you're taking me with you".

Additionally, a very hung over Jim Taylor, not expecting to play in the SB, was forced into action and (I believe) played his best game ever, winning MVP honors.

I believe it was Boyd Dowler that was out all night before the AFC-NFC Championship, its name the first year. I had a Coast Guard Reserve Meeting that weekend and remember the entire unit watching the game and seeing Dowler reach behind him and catch a poorly thrown pass from Bart Starr. The place erupted.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Boyd Dowler! wow...that's a name I'd forgotten. I think he and Taylor both share such lore. In fact, perhaps Hornung was suspended for gambling (?) when they had to call on Taylor. Remember Travis "the roadrunner" Williams? He came a bit after, but man was he fun to watch.

This Seahawk team has a similar swashbuckling way about it. I wouldn't call the Packers arrogant, but they were definitely brash.

EDIT: I just found this...Before my time but maybe this is the year I was thinking of:

"His penchant for high-living would prove disastrous when, in 1963, a major scandal erupted and Paul Hornung and another of the league's top stars, Alex Karras of the Detroit Lions, were suspended from football indefinitely by commissioner Pete Rozelle for betting on NFL games and associating with undesirable persons. Forthright in admitting to his mistake, Hornung's image went relatively untarnished, and in 1964 his suspension, and Karras's, were re-evaluated by the League. Both returned for the 1964 season".

Latest posts